Outlook Lodge Lakefield
US$116
US$102
US$93
Agoda.com
All reviewsbird sanctuaryclose to the airportgated communitykruger parkvery reasonable pricecape townmade us feelnext morningstay there againsouth africaother guestsnature reserveminute drivebreakfast and dinnerlong flighttambo airportexcellent breakfast
Reviewed 2 January 2013

With an overnight flight to Jberg, we opted to stay the day/night in Jberg before departing for Kreuger. This was a very wise choice with safari schedules beginning at 5am in the Kreuger in December!

Outlook Lodge picked us up at the airport, we arrived & our rooms were ready by mid-morning so we could nap before eating. They drove us to & from a local restaurant (Mozambik...it was SOOOO good!) for lunch, we also bought water at the Shell station next to the restaurant, we returned to Outlook where a walk to the nearby bird sanctuary was recommended...where we saw flamingoes & other birds in the wild in the middle of a large pond in the neighborhood!

Francois was incredibly helpful & his cappuccino muffins at breakfast were one of my son's favorite memories! We're hoping to get the recipe! Breakfast was guest-house style & I'm quite certain Francois would have catered to whatever you wanted if he had it available...but we're pretty easy going & were pleased with the offerings.

We stayed in 2 interconnecting rooms where the beds & bed linens were very comfortable & very clean. The bathrooms are in some need of cleaning up with mildew in some areas...but this is probably on their list of maintenance items that can't be taken care of in December because everyone goes on holiday for a month! Their maintenance will occur when everyone returns in mid-January. Towels were nice, clean & soft. Toiletries were the disposable hotel kind & since this is more of a Guest House, refillable permanent containers would really be a good choice...more eco-friendly, more economical for the owners, and more 'luxurious' for those staying...especially if nice products were used in the refills rather than store generics.

Our stay here was very nice & comfy..I don't know that the location is ideal for Jberg touring or shopping, but it was perfect for a rest stop & we would recommend it to others & stay there again ourselves.

Room Tip: We were the only ones there the night we stayed, so it was perfectly quiet...there aren't very many rooms, so I imagine it is never too terribly noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank LookingForFamilyFun
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

A unique place to stay near airport, and ideal to start Kruger safari from. A large home in a nice area, walkable to restaurants and a bird sanctuary. Rooms are good but this is not a modern sterile hotel rather you feel comfortable here. The TV is adequate and wifi free but limited areas of reception. Your host is wonderful he makes the resort from wonderful breakfasts to sometimes cooking a delicious dinner (I am not sure how often he does that but one night made a chicken dinner and another day just a requested sand which because I had a cold. If u need something just ask. U also meet a lot of guests from all over the world. So a place that is different in a great way to call a base.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank OntarioCanuck1
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We chose this place as we had booked a safari to the Kruger park with Outlook Safari, a company run by Francois, the lodge's owner. The lodge is close to the airport and Francois arranged for us to be collected at the airport, taken to the lodge to freshen up and start our vacatiuon in SA with a guided tour of Jo'burg and Soweto. In the 2 evenings we stayed there he drove us to the restaurant area close to the lodge and we saw him cooking a delicious dinner for some other guests. The rooms are spacious and the garden is amazing. We couldnt use the swimming pool as it was still a bit chilly. I'd like to thank Francois once again for all his help. He is very kind and makes his best to make your trip special.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank millenniumbridge
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I stayed here in December 2011 as part of a package to visit Kruger NP with Outlook Safaris. My experience was perfect for someone who had never been to Joburg before.

The Outlook Lodge organised to have someone meet be at Joburg airport, who helped me with my luggage and transported me between the airport and the lodge.

The rooms are very big, clean and very comfortable. As someone who had just attended the crazy world of the UN Climate Change conference in Durban in the preceding weeks, the Outlook Lodge was the ideal place to stay to unwind and relax.

I always felt very safe at the hotel, as it located in a well secured neighbourhood. The crew from Outlook Safaris met me at the lodge and dropped me back of again when my safari was finished.

As others have mentioned, Francois is an excellent host, making you feel welcome and always available to help you out. He even helped me to get a pizza delivered to the lodge!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 2 November 2012

My friend and I stayed at Outlook Lodge in May 2011 so this review is long overdue but of course still relevant. I can not say enough good things about this establishment. Francois made
us feel like family and really took care of us the entire time. It was so much better than staying at a hotel. Our Kruger Park safari was also booked and arranged through Outlook Lodge & Safaris and we had a wonderful time. When we arrived at Kruger we learned our assigned camp was over-booked (not Outlook's fault) and Robert got busy and found us some great, alternate accomodations. Our Outlook guide drove us back to Johannesburg via the scenic route and we visited the Three Rondavels and Pilgrims' Rest.
Outlook Lodge is situated in a very nice residential area and is close to the airport. This is always an advantage on any trip. I credit Outlook Lodge in making my dream trip to Africa an unforgettable experience. I will be happy to provide more information if anyone desires.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends