“Brilliant”

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge
Mbizi Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Had a great time here - we stayed for 2 nights at the end of our trip. The double room was nice and the kitchen and lounge spacious - and it was really good value. We had fun hanging out with Patrick in the bar - he is a really nice guy. The hostel is a long way out of the centre, but Patrick will organise trips for you. You need your own car if you want to go out for dinner in the evenings, but there is a shop nearby for self-catering. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2011

I had never stayed at a hostel before. I traveled to Africa, my first time traveling alone. I was somewhat worried about staying at a hostel alone, especially in a city like JBurg which has has a reputation for being quite dangerous.
Upon arriving at Mbizi, I immediately felt safe and at home. Patrick gave me a friendly greeting and I settled right into my comfortable bedding and took a relaxing hot shower. The premises were very nice. Beautiful pool, great bar, lots of space. Having laundry and internet were a plus! It was very easy to organize tours from the hostel. The neighborhood was extremely safe. I was able to go on a run in the morning by myself, and walk to the grocery and pizza place, a short walk away.
I made great friends at the hostel and had an amazing time! I will defintely be choosing hostels over hotels during future trips!

PS. My airport transfers went very smoothly

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 March 2011

this hostel has it all. the rooms are spacious and clean and the beds are very comfy. the kitchen is clean and spacious to cook your own food. the tv-area has nice sofa's and a lot of dvd's to chill. the swimming pool is big and is surrounded by a nice garden with a large bar with also a big screen tv. the owner Patrick is just great, he helps you with everything you want!! very nice place!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2011

The first thing you'll notice at this place is that its not like your typical backpackers. Its more like a homestay. Its got a lovely garden at the back, swimming pool and believe it or not, a sports bar where you can catch all the sporting action. The owner Patrick takes special care to put you at ease. He loves his sports, especially cricket, and we had a lovely time discussing the ongoing India-South Africa cricket series with him. He is very forthcoming in his recommendations about things to do in Johannesburg and ensures that you are well taken care of. Though this place is slightly more expensive compared to other backpackers in Joburg, its completely worth it. We had a splendid time here and ended up making many new friends.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2011

We stayed 3 nights at Mbizi over a 2 week period, we used it as a base for travel to Kruger and Vic falls and it was just like staying at a friends (Patrick's) house.
He arranged all of our airport transfers and was only too happy to answer any questions or organize anything we required. He allowed us to leave luggage behind whilst we were away at no cost and security was no problem.There is a wide range of DVD's to watch and books to read at no cost, the bar has cable TV and a pool table. There is tea, coffee, toast and spreads available included in the price but if you require more then BYO.
Its handy to a shop and a restaurant but not much else of interest so its more a base than a destination.
Patrick is a great host and we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2010

My fiancée and I stayed over at Mbizi's for a night on our honeymoon while transiting from Kruger to Mozambique, flying through Jo'berg. Patrick arranged for a driver to meet us and drop us off in the morning at the airport and set us up with a washer for our clothes. We chatted with him at the bar over beers after we arrived and then went to a great pizza joint that he recommended .

Patrick is a great guy, his hostel is more like a home as others have said and I would definitely recommend this hostel to others! Plus he’s putting in more villas at the end of the garden and that pool looked quite nice and I am sure it is in warmer months!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Patrick runs as owner, manager and barman. He is the only "staff" onsite at night so if he goes off to the pub there is no one around to great guests (we did it for him) and if the power fuse goes, locate the box and fix it yourself. Having said that it is a simple house to stay over for a couple of days, it was good for us as it is near the airport and we wanted to drive to the Krugger the next morning and it is on the East side of town.
It was quite empty when we were there. But the shared living space is nice place to chat to other quests. There is a bar with a pool table in it that wasnt open when we were there but it seems pretty nice.
We stayed in a double ensuite room. Good shower, decent size room.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple