“the best place to end your trip:)”

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge
Mbizi Backpackers Lodge
Kodaira, Tokyo, Japan
“the best place to end your trip:)”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed there for the last night in southern africa. This place was one of the best backpackers I've ever stayed! Patric was very nice. I booked for the dorm, but he upgraded the room so I could stay in a big room with two beds alone:) I was tired from my 2-week trip, so I was so happy to have my own room to relax. the place was very clean and people staying there were also nice. and i worried about the safety, but no needed! it was safe enough to walk around alone. if i have chance to visit Jo'burg, i would love to stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
California
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We came to South Africa to do a safari and relax a bit while on our 1 yr. world tour. We stayed at Mbizi and loved it! Jo'burg isn't the most beautiful place, but Mbizi was like getting away for a bit and staying with a friend. Patrick, the owner was awesome! He had us picked up right from the airport (great price, cheaper than a taxi) let us relax (no hassle, never bugs you while you're there) and set up our 3 day safari in Kruger park, which was amazing! He stored our luggage for us while we were gone for 3 days, and when we got back we stayed another night there, and then hung out the next day and he took us back to the airport. The house is big, rooms are clean and comfy! Heating blankets on the beds in winter are awesome! There is a "man cave" in the backyard which was great, and you can do laundry there for about 40 rand a load, which we thought was good. All and all, it's affordable, clean, comfy, and the perfect option for Jo'burg.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LanaKB
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 16 February 2012

There's not much to do around this place, but very convienient because it has a gas station 2 min walk away with ATM and a huge supermarket about 15 min walk and its safe to walk over there.
Patrick arranged a very affordable pick up from the airport, also helped me book and arrange a tour around Jo'burg, Kruger Park and my Baz Bus!
The house has a pool with a big garden and sunbeds, bar, big kitchen with free coffee and tea and basic breakfast, pool table, if you haven't gone to the store you could order pizza and get it delivered. Very good size lounge with TV and an excellent DVD collection!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Patrick takes you in as his own. Free wi-fi that is fast. Electric blankets on every bed. Very clean. A great backpackers lodge in JoBurg! Thanks for everything, Patrick! YOU ROCK! (yes, he really is a legend. find out why!) -Amy

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Jordan
Reviewed 9 November 2011

The place is clean, Patrick the owner is helpful and arranges for your transaportation and any other plans you might need for your stay. The hostel is near the airport and is a 5 hour drive to Kruger National Park.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Had a great time here - we stayed for 2 nights at the end of our trip. The double room was nice and the kitchen and lounge spacious - and it was really good value. We had fun hanging out with Patrick in the bar - he is a really nice guy. The hostel is a long way out of the centre, but Patrick will organise trips for you. You need your own car if you want to go out for dinner in the evenings, but there is a shop nearby for self-catering. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I had never stayed at a hostel before. I traveled to Africa, my first time traveling alone. I was somewhat worried about staying at a hostel alone, especially in a city like JBurg which has has a reputation for being quite dangerous.
Upon arriving at Mbizi, I immediately felt safe and at home. Patrick gave me a friendly greeting and I settled right into my comfortable bedding and took a relaxing hot shower. The premises were very nice. Beautiful pool, great bar, lots of space. Having laundry and internet were a plus! It was very easy to organize tours from the hostel. The neighborhood was extremely safe. I was able to go on a run in the morning by myself, and walk to the grocery and pizza place, a short walk away.
I made great friends at the hostel and had an amazing time! I will defintely be choosing hostels over hotels during future trips!

PS. My airport transfers went very smoothly

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boksburg
24 on Vrey Boutique Hotel
Holiday Inn Johannesburg Airport
Europrime Hotel
Europrime Hotel
#5 of 6 in Boksburg

Been to Mbizi Backpackers Lodge? Share your experiences!