“friendly, relaxing place to stay”

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge
Mbizi Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Great place to start or end your trip as located near to OT airport.

Clean rooms and shared kitchen. Great bar area with flat screen tv and pool. The owners are really helpful and can arrange tours into Jo'burg and Soweto.

Great selection of books and DVD s to watch if you are just wanting to chill out.

Would have been 5 star review but they were having internet problems when we stayed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cantwait2holiday

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This place is great if you are going to/coming from the airport. The rooms are nice and the living room and outdoor area is very friendly and welcoming. The lodge isn't located near any attractions so you will need a car to get anywhere. There is a restaurant, small store, and ATM a 5 minute walk away however.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brodie H
Reviewed 28 November 2012

This is a fantastic backpackers for those who are staying a few days in Jo'burg, but even better for those going to/from the airport and on safari. The airport is close & Patrick arranges affordable transport. If you are going to Kruger, you are often last to be picked up & first to be dropped off, which can save over 3 hours in the car (each way)! There are a few places to eat nearby & I felt safe in the area and in the house. The rooms were clean, outside area is great (bar, pool table, pool), & Patrick is so friendly & such a great host. I stayed here three different times in the last month & would stay there again in a heart beat...thanks, Patrick!

Room Tip: I loved having the cabin in the back...it was nice and quiet & I wasn't bothered by any othe...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I stayed here during December 2009. They provide pick-up for a nominal cost. The dorms and the rooms are spacy, neat, clean and the service is good as well. The pool and the bar outside are a great advantage. The TV room and collection of movies does not let you get bored. Patrick the owner is very helpful. Recommend to anyone looking for backpacker budget accommodation Jo'burg. Simply one of the best backpacker lodges I have been to.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I stayed there for the last night in southern africa. This place was one of the best backpackers I've ever stayed! Patric was very nice. I booked for the dorm, but he upgraded the room so I could stay in a big room with two beds alone:) I was tired from my 2-week trip, so I was so happy to have my own room to relax. the place was very clean and people staying there were also nice. and i worried about the safety, but no needed! it was safe enough to walk around alone. if i have chance to visit Jo'burg, i would love to stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We came to South Africa to do a safari and relax a bit while on our 1 yr. world tour. We stayed at Mbizi and loved it! Jo'burg isn't the most beautiful place, but Mbizi was like getting away for a bit and staying with a friend. Patrick, the owner was awesome! He had us picked up right from the airport (great price, cheaper than a taxi) let us relax (no hassle, never bugs you while you're there) and set up our 3 day safari in Kruger park, which was amazing! He stored our luggage for us while we were gone for 3 days, and when we got back we stayed another night there, and then hung out the next day and he took us back to the airport. The house is big, rooms are clean and comfy! Heating blankets on the beds in winter are awesome! There is a "man cave" in the backyard which was great, and you can do laundry there for about 40 rand a load, which we thought was good. All and all, it's affordable, clean, comfy, and the perfect option for Jo'burg.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LanaKB
Reviewed 16 February 2012

There's not much to do around this place, but very convienient because it has a gas station 2 min walk away with ATM and a huge supermarket about 15 min walk and its safe to walk over there.
Patrick arranged a very affordable pick up from the airport, also helped me book and arrange a tour around Jo'burg, Kruger Park and my Baz Bus!
The house has a pool with a big garden and sunbeds, bar, big kitchen with free coffee and tea and basic breakfast, pool table, if you haven't gone to the store you could order pizza and get it delivered. Very good size lounge with TV and an excellent DVD collection!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo