“Spoilt my Wedding Night”
Review of Elizabeth Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Elizabeth Lodge
Ranked #18 of 28 Boksburg B&B and Inns
Boksburg, South Africa
“Spoilt my Wedding Night”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We picked Elizabeth Lodge for our Wedding Night so that we can get to the airport early the next morning, what a mistake! We paid top dollar for the honeymoon suite, but it was so noisy, I could hear people next door running a bath! Myself and my husband would wake up often during the night hearing banging and people talking. We ordered Champagne and food, after waiting 30 minutes my husband went to enquire, he was told the lady with the keys to the bar left but will be back shortly, after another 30 minutes he went to check again, and again was told she will be back shortly, the 03rd time my husband went back to find out what's going on he was told that "oh I don't think the lady with the keys will be coming back tonight" My husband had to drive to the Checkers to buy us some champagne!! When he came back our platter of food arrived, it was terrible and greasy, after having five star food at our wedding, nobody would want to eat that crap for dinner. This place ruined my wedding night, it's almost a year ago, but still every time I drive past this place I get upset! Hopefully I can save another couples wedding night with this review.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the honeymoon suite!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SharitavdW

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boksburg, South Africa
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Myself and two of my friends had come to the Elizabeth Lodge as a stop on our road trip. On arrival we were greeted with warm cheerful smiles and directed to our rooms. The rooms were clean and fresh although basic. On the friday night of our arrival we decided to eat at the elegantly decorated restaurant, we wined and dined by candle light and had a good wholesome home cooked meal, there were two men playing guitar as accompaniment to their voices as our live entertainment. The "vibe" was incredible! I had been told that there was live entertainment every friday night. When it came time to continuing our trip I was almost sad to leave. I will most definitely return to the Elizabeth Lodge.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TarynCandy
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed at Elizabeth Lodge for two nights, what a pleasure. The staff was super helpfull and friendly. I will always stay here when in Boksburg. We had dinner in their dining room. The dinner was the "meal of the day" which was very well prepared and delisous.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ansie d
Pretoria
Reviewed 25 July 2013

One night sleepover. Looking forward to a relaxing environment, the afternoon was spoiled by noise coming from the laundry (voices and radio); quite disturbing. Only toned down after reporting. During the evening loud conversations from some of the guests were also experienced. The TV was not working on arrival; only after reporting we learned about that they do experience a problem and are working on it. Reception therefore failed to let us know that 1) there is a problem and 2) the problem has been fixed.

Winter and NO HOT WATER to take a bath/shower. It was reported telephonically but no-one showed up as promised to come and have a look. At six o'clock the next morning same problem. Reported it again and I was told to open the tap and leave the water running for quite a while??? We only learned from Management at breakfast that the lodge has switched over to a Gas system. That explained no hot water.

Please don't take for granted that the mattress is firm and of good quality. You will be in for a surprise.

No towels in bathroom and the ones on bed were small and surely can be replaced by new ones.

Executive Suite??

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Christa R

Travellers are raving about these Boksburg hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

We arrived in Jo-burg after a long flight from the UK, our family in SA had booked my parents, wife, son and myself into the “Elizabeth Lodge” *** for 1 night on our way to Kynsna.

Cost R1200.00 for a family room and R900.00 for a double.

On arrival we were told that the family room that was meant for the 3 of us was not available as the previous occupants had decided to stay an extra night.??
So we were given 3 double rooms, one at no extra cost. My 14yr son was expected to sleep in his own room which was some way from ours in a strange enviroment.In Johannesburg ?? Mmmm

As it happens neither he nor his mother were happy about the idea. So he ended up in our room head to toe, piggy in the middle until I opted to sleep on the floor. Why did you not stay in the other Double room some might ask? I should have! Let’s not mention the bad night’s sleep which was self inflected but the quality of the accommodation was terrible!

The bathroom was dirty, the white lace curtains were now Grey as they had not been cleaned in years!
The whole room was just “VERY” dated and in need of serious refurbishment/Clean, certainly not worth the R900.00 per night R1200.00 in my case. R1200.00 = £87.00.

All that aside the grounds were lovely as were the VERY friendly staff.

As an ex Zimbabwean and having lived in Africa for 30 years one becomes accustomed to the African way of life and the standards expected, we are well seasoned travelers who have visited many Hotels and lodges throughout the world, Zimbabwe and South Africa, but Elizabeth Lodge far falls below the expected standard, they need to seriouisly raise their game and the Tourism Grading Council needs to go to Spec savers!

With a fresh coat of paint and a “GOOD” spring “CLEAN” I am sure Elizabeth Lodge will be back up to standard.

We stayed in a QUALITY 4 STAR Hotel in Centurion on our way back and paid R1700.00 for a Family room and double room. VALUE FOR MONEY!

Room Tip: View Your room before you commit!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Deanvan V
Harare
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We stayed for four nights. I would not describe the Lodge as a boutique hotel. It was very basic and have had much better for less just up the road last year, unfortunately a friend in our party had heard reviews and booked. The furniture and fittings - beds, kettles, towel railings, dining chairs,- were all very tired and needed replacing. The bathrooms were dirty to say the least - tiles needed a good scrub and there was mold in every cranny. The staff,although very friendly and pleasant, did not provide any information. We even had to ask what the reception phone number was on the hotel switchboard as there was absolutely no information in the room not even the required healthy and safely fire drills. Sadly, you know a place is not a happy work environment in my opinion, when the staff are complaint about everything too. Breakfast was very poor - fried eggs that were hard and swimming in oil in a Bain Marie not freshly served. As friendly as the folk were I will certainly not to stay here again or refer it to anyone else.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JujuHarare C
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2012

i stayed here for a week in August 2011. I was a single female travelling alone though south africa and i must say this was one of the best places i stayed where i felt safe.

the staff are VERY helpful and friendly. staff helped me plan my days and find places to visit and organised private taxi's for me as it was not safe to travel in regular taxi's.

the rooms were clean, breakfast was tasty, they offer a bus shuttle to the East Rand Mall which is a great shopping centre.

i recommend this place for business, family, friends or solo, if your looking for romance....maybe not soo much, but an amazing place non the less.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boksburg
Silverbirch at Birchwood
Premier Hotel OR Tambo
Premier Hotel OR Tambo
#4 of 26 in Kempton Park
Peermont Metcourt Hotel at Emperors Palace

Been to Elizabeth Lodge? Share your experiences!