Birchwood Hotel
Travelocity
US$120
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsconference venueconference facilitiesreception areahourly shuttleeast rand mallthe grillor tambo international airportclose to the airportenjoyed my stayexcellent serviceevery hourrooms are spaciousshopping mallshuttle servicehome away from homecartsgolf
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have stayed at the Birchwood Hotel many, many times for conferences and the like and, whilst it has always been perfectly functional, it would never have been my hotel of choice. Recently, however, I have stayed there on several occasions when in transit, and it is fast becoming my hotel of preference! It has a self-service laundromat (I cannot stand paying per item for a load of laundry - and I do usually have a load between work trips) and is within walking distance of a number of eateries (including well known chains from McDonalds and Spur through to Dros and the Local Grill), and the free shuttle to/from the East Rand Mall is also very convenient. On my last stay I had one of the renovated luxury rooms which brings up the accommodation standard significantly. I will definitely stay there again whilst in transit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank FrequentTravellerKV
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear FrequentTravellerKV,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again,

We are very pleased that your enjoyed our new refurbished rooms and look forward to being to your preferred transit hotel. Be sure to try our award-winning restaurant, The Local Grill.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I would like to say THANK YOU for the amazing service I received at the Birchwood Hotel . I must say it’s been awesome, the treatment was excellent, the room was so clean and tidy, the décor was smart and the friendliness of the staff made me feel like I was at home.  It was my first time in Johannesburg and couldn’t have chosen a better place to stay. Monday as I got up I thought to myself, I can’t believe I had to leave to go home, laugh out loud. Oh and the scenery, OH MY GOODNESS, absolutely beautiful and breath-taking. The pool was cold but I had to try it out. So we swam and froze but it was worth the experience.  and the hot water and air conditioner warmed us at night as the evening was freezing cold.

The shuttle service really put my mind at ease as I was nervous and had no idea how to travel. The one driver, his name is Isaac, had us laughing the whole way to the East Rand Mall and was very helpful and friendly.

Once again thank you so so so much for everything. Hope to see you guys again soon!

Keep up the excellent work, friendly spirit and beautiful scenery!

If anything, I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to and from Johannesburg. It’s everything beautiful

Simone Solomons and Ashley Barnard (Room 1028: 24-26 August 2013)

Regards

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Simone,

We are very pleased that you stay was enjoyed and as we intended it to be. We hope to welcome you back again soon in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is the second time I stayed at this hotel; it wasn't by choice as my husband had to go to a conference held at the hotel's conference centre. The beds do not have either a mattress protector or and underblanket and the bottom sheet is not fitted so you wake up having slept on the mattress - hence my heading about Gordon Ramsay - as I remember watching one of his shows where he showed exactly how dirty mattresses can be. The pillows should have been consigned to the rubbish at least a year ago. My last visit I had pillow problems (only 2 pillows are provide per room) and battled to get extra pillows, so when I made the reservation I requested the extra pillows - only one extra pillow made and appearance. The towels are also due for retirement.

Breakfast is help yourself, and despite being under warming lights and in chafing dishes all items on offer were cold. So if you need to stay try an option without breakfast and visit the nearby Spar and buy yourself an muffin and some fruit. I also bought milk as only two portions of pod milk are provided in the rooms so if you have tea or coffee at night, there is nothing left for that early morning cuppa in bed.

Having said all that, the staff are friendly and helpful.

Would I go back, no doubt I will be forced to, as the Centre for Diabetes and Endocrinology insists on holding its annual conference there - maybe because it is close to OR Tambo Airport - I cannot think of any other reason.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Janet K
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Janet K,

We would like to express our severe disappointment regarding your lack of enjoyment during your stay with us. Your feedback clearly indicates that, the accommodation room utilised and breakfast eaten were simply not on an acceptable level and we would like to sincerely apologise for this.

All your comments will be severely dealt with internally after investigating to prevent these incidents in the future.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Birchwood again despite not providing you with the service we strive to maintain in order that we can give you the stay that we intend to give all guests.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Don't forget to bring walking shoes. Rooms are very far from the lobby, and if your card key doesn't work you have a few minutes walk to get there.
Breakfast was okay, but lunch and dinner were terrible, worst meals I ever had.
The staff is aware of the distances so they driving around with golf carts to transport guests between places.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Mj-py,

We are deeply concerned as to your comments regarding our quality of food and would like to invite to inform us further as to the aspects of it that were not to your liking. It is your feedback that will ensure that the incident is not repeated and that the relevant departments are addressed to investigate why the food was below the standard we would like to deliver.

You are welcome to email me personally at gregh@birchwoodhotel.co.za to discuss further.

I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 18 July 2013

On a recent visit to South Africa I stayed 3 nights at Birchwood Hotel & Conference Centre; One night on arrival and two prior to departure. Although an extremely large motel style complex, the 665 rooms with adjoining car-parking facilities, conference centres, and dining rooms are laid out with trees, gardens and pathways; the complex is well sign posted throughout the extensive grounds making it very easy to locate the various facilities without any problems whatsoever.

Rooms generally have twin beds which are large and comfortable; the decor simple but quite warm and welcoming, with a large armchair and coffee table, desk and flatscreen television. Tea & coffee making facilities are provided. The weather was considerably chilly during my winter visit but the room heater was super efficient in warming the room in no time. Both the bathroom and bedroom were spotlessly clean, both are serviced daily, fresh towels and toiletries provided.

I found the breakfast buffet extensive in it’s selection of food. A range of breakfast cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit both sliced and whole, dried fruit compotes, stewed and dried fruits.
A continental style buffet of cold meats, cheeses, condiments and salmon. A bakery buffet of croissants, muffins, danish pastries, brioche, savoury bread, fruit bread, wholemeal and white toasting breads. Finally the hot buffet, with fish, fish cakes, boiled eggs, sausages, bacon, baked beans, hash browns, tomato and more. A cook is on hand to prepare eggs any way you might like; And there are waffles for the sweet-tooth. The wait staff are efficient and extremely pleasant, serving coffee, hot chocolate, hot milk and tea or juices. They are attentive without being obtrusive, refilling your cups or removing used plates and cutlery quickly.

Within the grounds there is an excellent bar and swimming pool, with a couple of restaurants just outside the grounds. Staff in reception are pleasant and always helpful. With it’s extensive grounds, electric carts with drivers pickup guests and their luggage from reception or rooms. The shuttle service to the airport nearby run every hour on the half-hour or to the nearby shopping mall K90.

Birchwood Hotel and Conference Centre have excellent security. Wifi is available although it is not a free service - 50 Rand for 24 hours of usage.

My stay was a pleasant one and I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Greg H, Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Ann,

Thank you for your review.

Firstly, we are pleased to hear that you were able to experience so much of our service offering and that it was to your liking. We hope to welcome you back to the Birchwood again soon.

We thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards