“Huge complex, very good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Birchwood Hotel

Birchwood Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Boksburg
Pero, Italy
“Huge complex, very good service”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I've recently spent 5 days at the Birchwood Hotel, where I've run two back-to-back training seminars. I'm very impressed with their level of organization and can-do attitude, and the quality of their offering. By this I mean the conference rooms, the attendant catering, the restaurants and the accommodation. The location is excellent, close to the OR Tambo airport and a few steps away from shopping centers and other commercial facilities. Two small negative comments: the heating in my unit did not quite reach the bathroom— which was pretty chilly in the early morning (I stayed at the Birchwood at the end of June). Also, the room furnishings are a bit past their prime. Nevertheless, the Birchwood is definitely a place I'd return to..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ntokozo M, Public Relations Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Teerex

thank you for the feedback on your stay with us. We do however apologize for the inconveniences caused. You will be pleased to know that we are currently upgrading most of our hotel rooms, including room furnishings of course. We trust that your next visit will be even better.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Spent one night here and found it to be totally unsatisfactory. Issues: the safe would not work (had to be replaced), there was no running water at all (eventually someone came and turned it on from outside), the sink wouldn't drain (disgusting green slimy water backed up), the toilet "self-flushed" all night long, the shower was not much more than a dribble, the staff at the front desk were not helpful or concerned. The hotel is close to the airport - in fact right on a direct flight path. The last jet to keep you awake is about 2:00 AM and the first jet to wake to you up is about 5:00 AM. Bring earplugs as they are loud as they pass directly overhead on their approach. The room I had was in need of refurbishing - in fact it looked like it had been closed up for many months. I cannot find any redeeming qualities to this place other than the setting is pretty. When I expressed my concerns to the front desk all I got was a shrug of the shoulder and no comment at all.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trainfan2000
Dear Trainfan

We thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. We sincerely apologize for all inconveniences caused. Your comment about earplugs has certainly been noted, and please be advised that most rooms are currently being upgraded. once again our sincere apologies.

kind regards
Pretoria
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Frequently make use of Birchwood as we hold some of our meetings and conferences there. Nothing to fancy to write home about, but the grounds and facilities are kept neat and tidy. Admin is very good as i usually get good and swift response upon bookings and inquiries.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ntokozo M, Public Relations Manager at Birchwood Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Pieter I

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We are glad that our services met your standards and we hope to see you soon again.

kind regards
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The Birchwood hotel has some very good conference facilities that can accommodate groups of all sizes. However the hotel rooms themselves are somewhat lacking at least in the section I stayed in. The hotel itself looks like it was originally a motel with little bungalow style rooms off of roadways. In my room the shower was so close to the toilet you could not actually open the shower doors the whole way and had to squeeze through the gap. The back boor to my unit was bricked shut, so no green space for me and it was very near one of the centers where they serve breakfast. As such I was woken up in the very early hours every day by the staff shouting to each other and banging things around as they arrived an prepared breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sedro Woolley, Washington
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed at the Birchwood for one night after flying in late. Took the shuttle from the airport (they have a little shuttle waiting room on the far side of the Intercontinental hotel at the airport), check in was easy, and the room was clean and adequate. I then took the shuttle back to the airport the next morning to pick up my rental car. Noticed quite a few airline personnel staying here as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear R Q

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. We are glad that we could meet your standards, and make your travelling experience easier. We hope to welcome you back again.

Kind regards
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Natalia,

We would like to thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the wonderful and beautiful set up and management of all our wedding needs.
We were blown away by the setting and decor in and outside of the venue.
The food was well prepared and people enjoyed it very much.
We've had so many compliments and people are still calling and congratulating us commenting on how stunning it was.Comments like the ICC in Durban is no comparison to the Birchwood say's a lot for the management and staff of Birchwood.

Krish,Pat,Sumi and the Bridal Couple Preneshen & Dashnee

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Krish G

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. We are glad that we could make your big day a success. This message will definitely be passed on to Natalia too. We hope to see you at The Birchwood again
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Visited the hotel for a workshop with other colleagues. Very convenient pickup every hour from the airport behind the Intercontinental Hotel. Located in a lot of acres - its very expansive. Hotel is bungalows only and nice. The rooms are very spacious and I had a microwave and refrigerator in the room. I had read about kitchenettes so I asked about those but was told they are rented out on a long term basis. My only concern as a single lady in the hotel was security. The doors were very basic and wooden without any reassuring bolts or reinforcement. I couldn't sleep the first night until 3 am as I listened to night sounds and watched the 2 doors on each side of the room and both directly leading to the outside. The rooms also don't feel very close to each other so I was concerned. I got used to the layout over the week and my stay was largely uneventful. The breakfast was okay but unchanged every single day.
Hotel shuttle goes to the mall hourly as well. One can also take the shuttle to the airport and then get on the Emperors Hotel shuttle to the casino, movies etc - nice environment. Staff are excellent.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boksburg
Silverbirch @ Birchwood
#4 of 26 in Kempton Park
Sunrock Guesthouse
Sunrock Guesthouse
#2 of 26 in Kempton Park

Been to Birchwood Hotel? Share your experiences!