“Rude Owner and Terrible Food”
Review of Da Graziella

Da Graziella
Ranked #2 of 75 Restaurants in Edenvale
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have only heard and read really good things about Da Graziella. I have even heard that it is one of very few places in Jo-burg which have the Italian Embassy's stamp of approval for authentic Italian food.
I booked a table for 6 of us that evening (as apparently this place gets very busy), but when we arrived the table wasn't ready and we had to wait 15 mins.
The place itself does not have the trendiest of decors, but has a rather homely feel.

We waited around 20 minutes for the waiter to come around and take our drinks & starters order.
All the food was pretty average, and the biggest shocker... The cream of the Spaghetti Carbonara was burned and as a result the whole pasta just tasted burned. We called over the waiter, and told his to take it away and make a new one.

A couple of minutes later, the owner and chef came out of the kitchen to do his rounds of the restaurant. He was very friendly to the table next to us, but turned to us and harshly said "Who here got the carbonara? oh you? (pointing at me)", I replied by saying that yes, it was mine, and it was burned. He then got very defensive and tried to angrily convince me that I don't know what I'm talking about, and that the burned taste was actually the smoky taste of the bacon. Now I'm sorry, I'm no idiot and can differentiate between smoky and burned. He then proceeded to storm off saying he won't cook the meat in the pasta then. When the pasta arrived for the second time, the Spaghetti was under cooked... But at least it didn't taste burned anymore.

All of us just sat there, amazed at how rude an owner could be to his customers. My pasta finally arrived (with spit it in I'm sure), and now didn't taste burned, but instead the pasta was under cooked...

We decided not to have dessert that night, and just got the bill... Which arrived 20 mins later. We then had to run around the restaurant for another 15 mins trying to chase down our waiter to pay the bill.

We definitely won't be coming back...

For a full review, check out: http://lexieats.tk/da-graziella-edenvale-review/

3  Thank AliaksandraS2014

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Italian comfort food in a restaurant which caters to the local community. Have a great continental vibe and would not be out of place in Italy. Difficult to single out the best dish on the menu, it's largely defendant on your own likes. I regularly choose the liver as a main meal, always great and cannot go wrong. The lasagna is also a firm favourite of the family. The service remains top notch, friendly, and attentive.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Hidden away in an corner of the east of Johannesburg, this Italian eatery is worth traveling far for. The food is of a great quality and the pricing is very reasonable for what they serve. The tables are close and there is always a bustle about the place. The traditional italian favorites are all on the menu and there will be a bit of wait when they are busy. Try the Osso Buco as it is a real treat and the Cannoli is as good as they had in the Godfather (I think)!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Seen Graziella grow over the years. Always packed and the food never disappoints. Friendly with great service. Be sure to book.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I visit Da Graziella usually once a month, and it is consistently good. Their porcini risotto is creamy and they use fresh porcini, not dried. Try the arancini, little rice balls filled with Mozzarella and mince, as they are gorgeous, and can be a meal on their own. In all the years I've been going there, I have never ordered a pizza because I love the pasta dishes so much, and especially love the 4 cheese gnocchi. Their service is always good and efficient