Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Illovo
London, United Kingdom
“Business”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Unfortunately stayed here whilst on Business in Joburg. The rooms are very plain, boring and moody. The food was OK.
When I arrived at the hotel, I mentioned that my business had a agreed corporate rate with the hotel. The manager confirmed this, however she mentioned that they needed an email clarification from my PA to confirm I worked for my company to receive the discount. My PA emailed the hotel manager on my 7th day at the hotel, which I thought would suffice. When checking out of the hotel on day 20. I checked the bill to find that the discount was added only after they received the email. Meaning they charge me full rates for 7 days. So, The hotel charged me full scale rates for the 1st 7 days, saying they could not grant the coporate rate on these days. Utterly ridiculous. I tried to reason with the manager on duty, but to no avail. They have lost a lot of business. My team are currently working on a large engagement for 5 months staying in another joburg hotel. Lastly, I booked the hotel limousine to bring me to tampo airport, booked it for 3pm. When I arrived on time at reception. I was told my car was given to another guest and car would be back in 25 mins....do the maths.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Carolyn J, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear andrew p,

Thank you for post on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us. Sadly it seems that the TEAM and the outsourced transport company have not delivered the level of service that we are usually proud to offer to our GUESTS.
On behalf myself and my TEAM, please accept my sincere apologies for your service experience.
I would personally like to investigate your matter and have sent you a direct email. I hope you will afford me the opportunity to rectify any shortcomings.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies.

Carolyn Jones
GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Kabale
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Staying here for 6 nights on business and medical tourism! Very reasonably priced - in stark comparison to many of the properties around it. Food VERY good - well prepared, well presented and ludicrously cheap by European standards. Close to everywhere but pretty quiet. All staff good - some exceptional. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Carolyn J, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear JBPKabale,

Thank you for your terrific review of our hotel!

I can’t wait to share your comments with the rest of the APPLE TEAM.
Thank you for your kind words!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Wanderers.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel will remain my hotel of choice when on business in Johannesburg. The hotel is conveniently situated to great entertainment areas, good shopping and close to most attractions. The rooms are well appointed, good air-conditioning, and decent bathrooms. The restaurant serves great South African food at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Wanderers Club so as to enjoy the view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GusBehn
Carolyn J, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear GusBehn,

As a loyal GUEST of the Protea Hotel Wanderers, we are delighted to receive your review.

You are spot on when referring to the unique location of our hotel. We are only minutes away from the business hubs, Sandton, Rosebank and the Melrose Arch Precinct as well as the local attractions.

We are continuously striving for excellence and it is great that we achieved this on your visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Johannesburg!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Good value hotel, nice and clean.
Staff friendly and efficient, could teach the African pride melrose a thing or two.
Would definitely return.

Only gripe is it was cheaper for me to book through yeego(uk company) than online at protea site even with procard.

Not really reward local loyals are you protea?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear kinetic46,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review here on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you found the TEAM friendly and efficient. And our services and offerings good value for money.

I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly at gm@phwanderers.co.za as I would like to look into the matter regarding the rate.

We hope to have the pleasure in hosting you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

Just arrived back from a business trip of 4 days. We had arranged for an early check in but the room wasn't ready after the overnight flight. To be fair, this was sorted out quickly and without too much fuss. However it was frustrating after been travelling for 15 hours. My room on the 1st floor was tired but spotlessly clean so no real issues here. The front desk and all staff were helpful. However, get down early for breakfast as it can sometimes be a bit chaotic, with no plates, cutlery etc. The food was good although we did not have dinner in. Overall it was ok.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Wellington, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed 5 February 2014

The Wanderers Hotel is situated next to the Wanderers club in Illovo Johannesburg. An older suburb of Jozi, but less pretentious than it's neighbours. The hotel is very centrally located and are walking distance from some stunning restaurants. The 24 hour hotdog stand is a must for the partygoer...we saw Bruce Springsteen and was ravenous when we returned to the hotel at 3am. The staff was friendly and the hotel beautifully decorated. The views from the pool deck is spectacular.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the Wanderers club. Very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sandra B,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel.

The hotel is located on the same beautiful grounds as the Wanderers Club. The location, while in a suburb is central and minutes away from most attractions.

Hope you enjoyed the concert!

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Even if the rooms in this hotel could use a facelift the rooms a large enough and the full size desk is realy nice for a business traveler as myself . As in many hotels in Johannesburg only 10 tv channels on in room tv wich is a shame actually knowing how many channels are available on dstv . Wifi speed average . Lobby from hotel is modern and wide . Gym is in hotel underground parking .Staff in hotel always helpfull and friendly . Illovo area of Johannesburg with a few restaurants but not much else to be found here but only a short drive to sandton or rosebank mall from here. Enjoyed my stay in this peacefull area of Johannesburg.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Charles W,

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel.

Despite the shortfalls mentioned, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
All of our rooms are appointed with executive working desk, which allows work to be done in comfort.
The hotel has an on-site gym which has a large variety of machinery to cater for most needs.

The hotels location is ideal, in the peaceful suburb of Illovo, yet minutes away from Sandton, Rosebank and the Melrose Arch Precinct.

I trust we will have the pleasure of hosting you again.

Carolyn and the Protea Hotel Wanderers TEAM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Illovo
Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Hyatt Regency Johannesburg
Hyatt Regency Johannesburg
#7 of 67 in Johannesburg
Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers? Share your experiences!