“5-Star Comfort & Quality”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Illovo
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I am checking out tomorrow from the Protea Wanderers having spent 3 nights here. I am so impressed by the staff and facility that I decided to offer my review prior to my checkout.

Firstly, the facility itself is of the highest standards. The property is located close to the action but just far enough to give you an "exclusive" feeling. The grounds, featuring the historic Wanderers Club with squash, tennis, cricket and a sport for every enthusiast, are impeccably kept by the highly skilled staff. The attention to detail is evident in the lobby where tufted, high-backed chairs lounge beside an over-sized chaise lounge and a spiral staircase centerpiece.

But the Protea's biggest asset is their staff. Upon entering the facility, you are met by the friendly valets wearing black and red suits and boulder hats, offering a sophisticated flair and willingness to bare your baggage burdens. And if you arrive in the evening, you will find Benjamin or a front desk staffer greeting you at the door with a refreshing drink served in champagne flutes. At checkin, Nomhle and Lesley ensure your checkin is smooth, comfortable and with the greatest of ease.

My final night was made most special by Christie de la Porte, one of the top Protea staff. While I was enjoying a glass of wine at the restaurant, Christie stopped over to ensure I was taken being care of. After telling her that I am checking out tomorrow for a late international flight, Christie assessed my needs in advance, arranged for me to have my bags weighed and prepped me on the nuances of my departure from South Africa. My trepidation of preparing for tomorrow's flight was replaced with comfort and confidence in knowing that I had a "friend" looking out for me at Protea.

Protea Wanderers has the right formula for travelers looking for 5-star comfort and quality in Johannesburg. I look forward to staying at this "retreat" away from home on my next visit to Johannesburg.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the front of the building, offering a view of the cricket and tennis courts an...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Natalie B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Meaty-Yum-Steve,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with some feedback on Trip Advisor whilst you were still staying with us at the Hotel, reading your review was truly the perfect way to start anyone’s day!

You are indeed right when saying our biggest asset is our STAFF and we are extremely delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service that you received, from the Porters at the door right through to our front desk by Nomhle, Lesley and Benjamin. One of our Protea Principles is to provide “The Best GUEST Service” and Christi without a doubt went beyond the call of duty to ensure that your departure would be a comfortable one the following day.

I am delighted to hear that you found our Hotel to be of such high standards and that you enjoyed the convenience of being close to the various facilities in the Hotel as well as at the Wanderers Club that were mentioned in your review.

Once again thank you for your lovely review and for recommending the Protea Hotel Wanderers to other travellers; we hope to welcome you back to the Hotel to enjoy another “retreat away from home” in the not too distant future.

Please be assured that I will share this feedback with the rest of the TEAM.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I was in Johannesburg last week and stayed at the protea hotel wanderers for 3 nights. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was also good. The rooms were spacious and clean. I can recommend it to anyone.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear LYNN B,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast at the Hotel and found the STAFF to be friendly and helpful during your stay with us.

Thank you very much for your recommendation of the Hotel to other travellers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Wanderers in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

The staff were really friendly and helpful, having arrived at the hotel at 4:00 am. The first room we were put into was noisy because of a ventilation malfunction, but they moved us straight away. Room was spacious and clean, and the bed was very comfortable.
Again the staff were really obliging.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Emanuel G
Natalie B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Emanuel G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that the air-con made a noise in your room, I am happy to see that the reception STAFF moved you into a quieter room right away.

We are delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that the STAFF were friendly and helpful when interacting with you.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have stayed here twice in the last year on business. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. I found the room comfortable, great bed, the window could open and there is a good desk configuration wtih a light and reasonable wifi that makes working in the evening easy. I found the room service limited and therefore had dinner in the restaurant,again staff were friendly. Food was average and with a bit of effort could be good - I ordered a la carte, the fish was fine but the couscous disappointing - just cooked with nothing served with it. On the second afternoon I went down to the coffee shop and had a chicken wrap which was lovely and the service was fantastic. Staff were quick and helpful - I looked up and around whilst contemplating to have a cuppucino - without delay the gent behind the counter came to me, my waiter was busy at another table, and asked if i wanted anything - well done on being responsive and monitoring your guests.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Natalie B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Knowthegoodstuff,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor about your recent stay at our hotel.

It was quite delightful to read your feedback and I will most certainly share it with the rest of my TEAM. Our STAFF are excellence driven thus providing you, the GUEST with the best GUEST service at all times.

I am also pleased to advise you that our new room service menus are currently being printed and we look forward to having them available in the rooms early in August.

We love the fact that overall you had a great experience at the Protea Hotel Wanderers and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I may have been jaundiced in my view after having stayed 3 x nights in a great hotel in Capetown, but I just found this place a little souless. Check in was polite but not cheery, rooms were fine, but rather ordinary and the whole place jsut lacked something.

Breakfast was the ususal boring and cool buffet and trying to get coffee from the waiters was a challenge.

Nothing wrong with this place but another corporate, faceless sleep facility.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Natalie B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear CRX,

Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at the Protea Hotel Wanderers.

All GUEST feedback is imperative for us and we always try to strive for GUEST satisfaction; I am so sorry to hear that the Hotel did not quite meet up to your expectations on this occasion.

We thank you for your business and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Friendly staff, great service, nice food with a beautiful surroundings and smell of fresh roses along the entrance. And of course, reasonable prices.
20 min Walking distance to a great spot called Melrose arch, restaurants, outdoor bars, shops, etc.
We had the best steak ever.

Room Tip: Check the view before u book, higher floor does not guarantee a good view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Natalie B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Ghaith8,

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review here on Trip Advisor.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us; your feedback with regards to the service and dining experience will without question be shared with the rest of my TEAM.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel again in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Good Hotel that is well situated for business between Johannesburg City Centre and the Northern Suburbs. The hotel has good security and one can walk around its premises safely in the evenings. Staff are always willing to assist. The resturant cant breakfasts are good, supper I have found slow service and steaks not great

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Natalie B, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear JAL047,

Thank you for your posting your review on Trip Advisor.

I am so pleased to hear that you felt safe whilst you were staying at the Protea Hotel Wanderers.

My sincerest apologies about the slow service that you experienced during your supper; the comment about the steak you had has been noted and I have also passed this feedback on to our Head Chef.

We hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Natalie and the Protea Hotel Wanderers TEAM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Illovo
Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel
Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank
Genesis All-Suite Hotel
Genesis All-Suite Hotel
#13 of 66 in Johannesburg
Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Wanderers? Share your experiences!