“Simply delicious”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
south africa
“Simply delicious”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We had one of the best calamari dishes:-) I substituted spinach instead of the risotto side and was very pleased with the freshness and combinations of tomato and capers with the calamari. Must also thank whomever made my capuccino- it was perfection, perfect consistency of milk to coffee and perfect temperature. Highly recommend this restaurant - all our friends were also very happy with their pasta meals as well as the salads.

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Consistently good food and service”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We have eaten at Amarcord at least 8 times and have always enjoyed our meals. The service has always been excellent, even when they were fully booked. Perhaps Jacqui was really unlucky. I love Vitello Tonnatto and Luciana's was too salty. There was no attitude when I told them that it was not 100%. Whatever they do, they do well. Risotto is another favourite, as is veal, whether it be with lemon, mushrooms or marsala. Minestrone is mind blowing according to my husband who is a big soup fan. Some of the Assaggi favourites are still on the menu which is wonderful news. Our daughter's all time favourite is the chocolate fondant. Amarcord does not disappoint. I'm particular about table seating so always tell them exactly where we like to sit!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Bongitole
Mario_Amarcord, Owner at Amarcord Italian Food, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Hi Bongitole,

Always a pleasure to have happy repeat clients. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to our Osteria!

A presto,

Mario
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Tried this restaurant last night. What a SHOCKING experience! The waiters seemed untrained...there were 4 of us, only 3 were asked their drinks order before he disappeared...returned and gave the wrong drinks to each of us. The food was so disappointing. A salad for the table - limp, ungenerous, had to search for a tomato between mounds of lettuce.
The roast baby chicken, (a favourite from Assagi) was not crisp. The Veal Paillard was dry and tasteless, the zucchini chips and green beans were mingy.....feels like they were trying to charge the highest possible prices for the smallest possible quantities.
NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• Visited June 2013
Mario_Amarcord, Owner at Amarcord Italian Food, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Hi Jacqui,

I am most disappointed to read your review on our establishment. We proud ourselves in customer service and serving dishes using the freshest of ingredients. I assure you that this is not our usual standard of operation. Please contact me directly on +27112682287 or +27846037966 in order that we can discuss your bad experience and so I can have the opportunity to invite you back as my guests in order that we can try win you back as customers. However, I must just clarify a few comments, I take full responsibility with regards to the bad service that you received and will definitely take it up with your waiter, Newboy, who has been with us in our various restaurants for the past 8 years. With regards to the table salad your shared, we do not offer table salads, our salads are starter portions for 1 person, so yes, I agree, if shared between 4 people, it may well seem ungenerous. With regards to the baby chicken not being crispy, this is our standard way of serving our baby chickens, we will however be more then happy to make it crispy for a customer on request, We as a restaurant need to always try and balance the middle ground when serving dishes, some like it crispy and dryer whereas others like it less crispy and more juicy. The veal Paillard is Luciana's very own invention and we have not deviated from the recipe in more then 25 years so I am disappointed to hear you say its was dry and tasteless, it is one of our most popular dishes with repeat customers just coming back for that dish. All I can say is that I apologise and hope that you will take the time to give me a call directly and give me a chance to invite you back in order that you can leave as satisfied and hopefully repeat clients. Mario
Johannesburg
“Best Italian restaurant in Johannesburg”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This is the first review I have ever written - because I am so inspired by the delicious food we had at Amarcord, Illovo for lunch yesterday. We started with bruschetta, which was delicious but the main courses were in a a league of their own. I had veal with porcina mushrooms - delicious, tender and tasty - but I struggled to stop myself from eating my husbands asparagus risotto - out of this world!!! If I could give this restaurant 6 stars I would!

• Visited March 2013
“Welcome Back”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Overall an excellent experience. Welcome back to Illovo Luciana e Mario! if it is even possible, Luciana and Mario have upped their game!! Menu consists of some of the old favourites with a whole lot of new dishes! The restaurant gets very busy in the evenings and becomes a bit loud, but what a vibe! Highly recommended and will definitely be back!! Anyone visiting Johannesburg who enjoys Italian should certainly make an effort to eat at Amarcord.

• Visited March 2013