“A fun place”

Kong
Ranked #119 of 1,183 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Chinese, Sushi, Asian, Thai, Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cairo, Egypt
“A fun place”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I had dinner here recently with some people I work with. We mainly had sushi and it was great. It was really enjoyable.
The entire experience was very good: The atmosphere was great, service was very good, food was awesome, dessert was great.
The real surprise for me was that you can get a neck and shoulder massage as you eat or when you are done at your table! How cool is that?!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Nerry_Luvs_Travel

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“An amazing evening!! Worth 6 stars!!”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Referred by friends who are regulars, we decided to try the famed Kong at their new venue in Cedar square. Probably our best restaurant evening in Johannesburg! We started with spicy lamb dim sum, fried oysters with Asian dressing and Hong Kong pears. All three were great but the Hong Kong pears were truly special. For mains we had the Wok Fillet steak and the Kong Pork. The steak was well seasoned and excellently prepared and while the pork was good, it paled in comparison to the other food at the table. The berry meringue is light, sumptuous and absolutely decadent.

The wine list is amazing, though slightly overpriced, but one does end up paying for the atmosphere, which is bouyant, fun and lively. Ask for the Ashbourne Sauvignon / Chardonnay blend. Crisp, yet beautifully light with a sweet after tone. Very floral nose, but delightful none the less.

Our waiter was attentive, and timeous, but not overbearing. It was a week night, so we were surprised to see the restaurant filled to capacity, and yet the kitchen coped very nicely, and the food was perfectly cooked.

Can't wait for our next evening there!!

Visited November 2013
“A great restaurant if you don't mind REALLY taking your time!”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Today we finally tried the new Kong at Cedar square and I'm left a little disappointed in the service. I found their service to be incredibly slow, nit thr kitchen, the waiting staff and I feel the new venue has left the ambiance severely lacking, as beautiful as the new venue is, it has lost almost all of it penache! Also, a queue outside the bathroom outside of peak times I find a bit odd, I'm thinking maybe they didn't really consider their facilities properly.

We tried the cherry chilli mojito, it was sad that the chilli drowned every other flavour in the glass, as did the coriander in cherry coriander and pineapple martini. They have a really nice wine selection though.

The Hong Kong Pears were beautiful to look at end even better to taste, a real triumph. The roast duck in plum sauce was good, cooked perfectly as per usual, but not as amazing as it used to be. Also, I wish the chef had maybe just one more trick up his sleeve above the carrot flowerette, I can imagine the skill involved in them, but when you have 4 dishes on your table you seem to be left thinking, is that the only trick he has.

The Creme Brûlée was masterful, the best I've had in A LONG TIME!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SAEasyTraveller
Johannesburg, South Africa
“You have to ask Bee for a neck massage!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Wow!!! Stunning food again, and then the best neck massage ever! All 3 family members had one :-)
I had 3 starters as I was not too hungry and the were all fabulous! Our son loves the peking duck since he discovered it on our previous visit.
We love coming here as we don't have to drive too far from home... Our waiter was also the best. Never said no... All our needs were met 150%.

Northants
“Top Quality Restaurant”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Midweek business dinner took me to Kong at Fourways. Large restaurant with a modern decor and nice atmosphere. Surprisingly busy for a midweek but plenty of staff to ensure the table felt they were being well looked after. A comprehensive menu that included Sushi that has a growing reputation for its quality. I was in a group of 6 and each of us had different meals but included the Sushi and various Thai and local dishes. The wine list won approval from the table too. Good food and wine - so worth a visit.

• Visited October 2013