“The decor is much more appealing than the food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kong

Kong
Ranked #119 of 1,183 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Chinese, Sushi, Asian, Thai, Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Johannesburg, South Africa
“The decor is much more appealing than the food!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

This is another restaurant that we hadn't visited for 3 years - our last meal had been so awful that we hadn't bothered to repeat the experience. Granted, there is one positive - the decor is impressive - but that's where the good news ends. I also consider this to be a fair comment - in total we probably ate at Kong at least 10 times. I also think that the only reason that they moved from the Buzz Shopping centre was to re-invent themselves because they had lost substantial patronage. The service was 'I'm doing you a favour just by being here'. Perhaps we were just unlucky with our waitron? Perhaps the majority of the people who frequent this restaurant consider it a privilege to eat out and at this restaurant - there were lots of medium to large groups "celebrating" something special. The starter was adequate, its a very uninspiring menu overall actually. I don't see any major improvements on what was offered at the Buzz. I was also served the incorrect main meal - definitely a big communication problem here as I always speak English when I order. It was a calamari kebab - deadly boring. I ended up being so hungry that my husband shared his meal with me. The joke was the maitre 'd - I told him that I'd been served the incorrect main meal - he thought it funny. Perhaps he also doesn't understand English? He was also the untidiest, sloppiest man to ever ask me how my meal was!!! My promise to myself is not to go back to be served deadly dull food and my husband agrees!

• Visited March 2014
Jacqui v, Public Relations Manager at Kong, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you so much for your very valued feedback. We would like to chat to you telephonically, to obtain further detail, and take the necessary disciplinary measures. Please be so kind to revert. Many thanks and kind regards
Jacqui
PR & Marketing
082 387 1150

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great evening out - great service”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went to Kong for a special dinner. In the evening the restaurant has a great atmosphere as the lighting in the restaurant is very dramatic and creative. Even though it was cold outside the restaurant was nice and warm inside. Do not think that due to the size of the restaurant you do not need to book. If you are wanting to go over a weekend - bookings are essential. I enjoyed the Peking Duck which is one of my favourite - it did not disappoint is was nearly a good as you would find it in the East. The menu is not ideal for children's palates. If you take your children you may struggle to find something suitable. We asked the waiter to make up a special bland dish for my son and they were only too happy to put something together for him. Would definitely like to go back and try out a few other exciting dishes.

• Visited June 2014
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

As far as we are concerned,best sushi in town! Love the new diggs in Cedar square ,wonderful service ,good ambience. Try the pepper prawns and dum sum as well.

1 Thank Miracles_d0_Happen
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great food, something different ”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I have eaten at Kong three times so far and each time was a treat. The contemporary / Asian decor welcomes you, with warm, dappled lighting in the evening. My waiters have always been world class and ready to spring into action at your command.
The menu selection is good, if not overwhelming. I usually steer away from the Jack of all trades approach, but Kong is master of many.
Food and plating is superb. Pricing is a little high, but we'll worth it for exclusivity.
Take a trip to Kong, you won't regret it.

Pretoria, South Africa
“Great food and great service”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We went to Kong restaurant for my wife's birthday. The setting is just stunning and the service even better. The food is delicious. Well done Kong!

• Visited May 2014