“Fairly good B&B option but with caveats” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tama Rumah

Tama Rumah
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Tama Rumah
Ranked #157 of 290 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Fairly good B&B option but with caveats”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

I've stayed here 3 times (Bourganvillea Suite) and would recommend this as an option with some important conditions.

We found the general decor and atmosphere to be pleasing and the bed was comfortable. The room specified is spacious. The B&B is very central for Johannesburg, and the restaurants and shops of Melville are within a minute's walk so it's got all the advantages of being close to the nightlife but it's also relatively quiet.

Problems:

1. I agree that the reception service is inadequate. Getting hold of somebody to assist with queries is difficult. If you're very self sufficient this problem is less of an issue but it is a problem.

2. Bathroom was pretty but not very functional. Sink and shower tend to be a bit leaky.

3. Parking is tight and insufficient for the number of rooms.

4. Security is adequate but not perfect. There is high electric fencing but less security for the rooms themselves so a pedestrian could enter when a car opens the gates for example.

I'd stay again and would say for South Africans this is a suitable option. Less so for international visitors.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Dirk_London

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Caoe Town
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

The only good thing about Tama Rumah is its location in Mellville. But it certainly is not a very safe area to stay in. It may be an adequate guest house (the four stars still baffles me) for the less discernable guest, but certainly not good enough for the business person. I was placed in room in the back yard that appeared to be a renovated garage or stoor room. It was extremely hot and the bedroom offered not airconditioning or even a fan. No standard desk to work at was supplied. The advertised free Internet is not available in the room due to an inferior signal. A somewhat workable wireless signal is only available in the garden. No cold water or ice was stocked in the empty little fridge. . Parking is totally inadequate for 13 rooms and it is dangerous to leave your car outside in this Johannesburg neigbourhood. And one of the other viewers are quite correct that the lady owner/manager still has a lot to learn about customer relation. I will stay asfar away as possible from this place. There is much better value elsewehere and even closeby.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ZamanCT

Travellers are raving about these Johannesburg hotels

dusseldorf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2009

We stayed at Tama Rumah just for one night (would have loved to extend the stay) and enjoyed it a lot. They organised a transfer to and from the airport for us which was perfectly on time, safe and friendly. The guest house itself is a cosy place and a beauty! And the neighbourghood makes you think you are anywhere but certainly not in Jo'burg. The perfect place if you want to enjoy nightlife, restaurants and shops within walöking distance and feel perfectly safe even after dark.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2008

After a friend recommended this guest house in a great area of Johannesburg (Melville), I tried repeatedly for over 2 weeks to book a room and eventually decided it wasn't worth it. I submitted an inquiry online on the website and received no answer. After trying a second time with no response, I thought something might be wrong with their website and I called the guest house and was told that rooms were available. I asked for an off-season/honeymoon discount and was offered a room at a 10% discount. The man I talked to told me to send an email with the room I wanted to book.

Not surprisingly, I received no response after emailing for the room I wanted to book. I called again and talked to the same man, who gave me the name of the manager Melanie and her cell phone number.

When I called Melanie to book the room, she was rude over the phone. I told her that her employee offered me a 10% discount, and she told me that he wasn't authorized to do so and that she's take care of it. The way she "took care of it" was to email me saying she found my inquiry and that I could have the room at full price.

After experiencing 2 weeks of poor communication and fleeting discount offers, I decided not to take the risk of staying at Tamah Rumah. Disappointing because the place looks very cute online.

Stayed August 2008