Amanzi Guest House
US$240
US$175
US$169
  • Pool
The Reef Hotel(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$43
  • Restaurant
Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$57
Hotwire.com
All reviewsbedroom cottagecraighall parkhome away from homeguest househosts pamsound of running waterhome baked breaddelta parksilver birch cottageneighborhood restaurantsapartments are spaciousloft stylefiltered waterclose to hyde parklovely hostslistening to the birdslong stay
Reviewed 20 December 2011

If you are looking for a charming, quiet, quality guest house in Johannesburg, Amanzi is it. The garden is pleasantly natural with trees and shrubs, the rooms/apartments large, well-lit and clean, the staff and owner friendly and gracious. The breakfast is very good--fresh fruit, fresh juice, excellent bread, good yogurt, nicely done eggs, tasty tomato and a few other choices. I found the place peaceful and relaxing. You need a car to access it and the internet goes out at times but I understand that is a common problem in South Africa. On the whole, I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The two rooms I saw were very good. The rooms have a kitchenette.The guest house also has cottages and while I have not seen them from the inside they must be good. The cottages have a kitchen, I believe.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
pamelamary52, Owner at Amanzi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2012

Thank you for your very positive comments on Amanzi - and that you found it peaceful, quiet and relaxing - many people are surprised at these words to describe Johannesburg! And thank you for your breakfast remarks - I really try to provide healthy fresh delicious fruit and food!
Hope to see you back at Amanzi this year! Sincerely Pam and the team at Amanzi.

Reviewed 6 December 2011

I had worked in Johannesburg for a while which brought me to stay in various amazing guesthouses…until I found the perfect one: Amanzi.
The reasons are various and simple:
- Perfect location, in one of the most lively neighborhood in the center of JHB;
- Spacious, comfortable and nicely furbished rooms;
- Lovely garden with pool and even a “tropical forest”;
- Cleanliness.
But most of all I enjoyed the hospitality of the owner and manager who fill the atmosphere with her great energy and add to the place with her touch “quel certo non so che” which you cannot find anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
pamelamary52, Owner at Amanzi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

I am delighted that you think Amanzi Guest House is the place to stay! I have lived in
this neighbourhood for the last 20 years, and wouldnt choose to live anywhere else in
South Africa! As you say, convenient, lively, yet still has a village feel. Thank you for your
very nice comments about the rooms - Yes, when I designed them, I ensured that space
was a priority! Look forward to seeing you in South Africa again! Sincerely Pam and the team at Amanzi.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

My third stay at Amanzi guest house was undoubtedly the most wonderful. Initially, my wife and I were disappointed to find that the Belhambra Cottage which we’d become so well accustomed to was unavailable for our stay. Disappointment quickly turned into delight the moment we stepped into one of Amanzi’s apartments. Spacious, well-appointed, picturesque and clean, the apartment was a very pleasant place to be in, and has a superb view of the peaceful garden. The water feature in the garden provided a wonderful soundtrack in the evenings. Pam’s hospitality and her warm personality made this visit extra special. There’s no doubt that I will stay at Amanzi Guest House when I’m in Joburg again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to stay at Amanzi once again! I am so pleased you loved the
apartments, and enjoyed the space, the view over the garden, and the sound of water.
The cottages have such a different feel, being on the ground and more traditionally
furnished. I loved designing the apartments, and planning the contemporary feel.
Look forward to having you and your beautiful wife stay at Amanzi for the 4th time!
Sincerely from Pam and the team!

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Amanzi is well-situated in a beautiful neighborhood of Johannesburg. There are gorgeous nearby parks for long walks, and lovely nearby cafes and shopping centers. Pam is the ultimate B & B host, serving a great breakfast daily on her beautiful open terrace with a fountain. We stayed in one of her cottages for 6 weeks (with our dog who was immediately at home), while we looked for a house. Accommodations are very comfortable and attractive. One gets to know other guests so it's like a home away from home. Pam is willing to answer all questions and knows a lot about Johannesburg and South Africa. Great place to stay!

Room Tip: Upstairs studios have a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Your family settled into the cottage so easily, it was like having family stay! I am delighted
you like the neighbourhood so much that you found a house close by! Look forward to
many more walks, and cafe meetings together! Sincerely, Pam

Reviewed 16 November 2011

My stay in this Guest House was wonderful - very relaxed but also efficient. Clean with all amenities. Pam is a wonderful hostess and nothing was too much trouble. I had a small disaster in the bathroom and it was fixed with no problems and no recriminations. Wonderfully comfortable bed - always difficult to sleep in a strange bed but didn't feel it. Home from home

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review - so pleased you could sleep easily and found the experience a home from home one - its not always easy to sleep in a strange bed. but am happy to say that many of my guests report sleeping well here - perhaps some of it is the sound of water!
Sincerely from Pam and her team