“Nice Garden!!”
Review of Amanzi Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Amanzi Guest House
Ranked #6 of 296 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Detroit, Michigan
“Nice Garden!!”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed at Amanzi Guest House on August 21 and 22. Upon arrival from the airport, Pam greeted us warmly was very friendly. We stayed in the Belhambra cottage next to the main guest house. The rooms were clean but were very small. There is very little space to move around in the rooms, the living room is the only room where you could really stretch out. We noticed a row of ants crawling over the kitchen wall, across the living room and swarming over the DVD player, we brought it to Pam's attention. She had someone come the next day and spray but we still saw residual ants crawling. The wi-fi service in Amanzi is very poor, we had to pull up our stools next to the entrance door just to get reception. For four of us, we were provided one bottle of some sort of super filtered water - didn't think that was enough for four people. Breakfast..meh..omelettes were rather dry - over cooked, couple of table spoons of milk while whipping eggs would have made them moist. On our last day, Pam seemed rushed and said she had to leave so I paid the guesthouse charges while at breakfast. She forgot to return my credit card and I did not remember to collect the credit card from her. She emailed me but I was able to see my email only when I got to Cape Town. She mailed the card next day but by the time card got to Cape Town, we had left the country.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
pamelamary52, Owner at Amanzi Guest House, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
I really appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to write your comments. And am so sorry you were disappointed with your stay at Amanzi. I know that it is difficult for a family of four to fit into a small cottage, and agree with you that the second bedroom is small. I was not aware you struggled with the wifi connection, as using the cable, the signal is strong. I find the beating is the secret to good omelettes, and apologies that yours were not up to our usual standard :) I cannot tell you how sorry I am that first of all, I omitted to give you back your credit card, and that i was not able to get it to you before you left Cape Town. Best wishes, Pam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Make that 10 stars actually!! I stayed at Amanzi Guest House for about a month while I was in Johannesburg, and I hated to leave. Pam is amazing!! She’s so warm and genuinely cares about the comfort and wellbeing of her guests. The staff are friendly and courteous. Together they bring a very personal touch to hosting. Stayed in Apartment 2 which is inarguably one of the most beautifully decorated rooms I have ever stayed in. My room was spacious, airy and squeaky clean. I was particularly blown away by the attention to detail. I loved the pool and the garden. Felt so much at home! I do not see myself staying anywhere else in Johannesburg henceforth…

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Hello George! Thank you so much for your glowing 10 star review! I have just got back from holidaying in Namaqualand viewing the flowers, so my response to your review is a little late.
My staff and I are delighted you felt so comfortable and at home with us, and that you liked the space and decor of the apartment. We really look forward to a return visit. Best wishes from us all, Pam and her staff at Amanzi.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I went back to Amanzi for a second stay recently and only have good things to add to my first review. The owner has a personal touch, the staff are gracious, the rooms/apartments spacious, airy, with attention to detail. All in all, just a nice home away from home.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
pamelamary52, Owner at Amanzi Guest House, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Amanzi once again! Good to have you back, and my staff and I so appreciate your positive comments, and that you like the spacious airy feeling of the apartments.
Warm regards from Pam and her staff.
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

I stayed here only a couple of nights but hope to come back and explore Johannesburg a bit more. I stayed in a cottage and felt very much at home. Pam is a very friendly and helpful host and all the staff are also very friendly and helpful. Highly recommended for a long or short term stay.

• Stayed July 2012
, Owner at Amanzi Guest House, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Hi Liz - thank you for your warm recommendation about Amanzi. Its always gratifying to hear that my staff and I succeed in making people feel at home. I hope your trip to Pilanesburg was as good as you hoped, and look forward to you staying with us again.
warm regards
Pam and her team
Clervaux
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed at Amanzi Guesthouse for over a week. And it was not my first time. Simply because it's the best Guesthouse I have ever seen. Pam is amazing! The staff is very friendly, it is very clean and the cottages and/or appartements are wonderful! The garden and pool just invites you to use them, and during nice warm summer evenings you can sit outside and enjoy. I will go back in November and will definitly go back to Amanzi's Guesthouse (again) cause it's like going home!!!
Thanx Pam and staff, for making my trips to Jo'burg so special!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
, Owner at Amanzi Guest House, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review - and you know that we also feel that Amanzi is your South African home! You are always welcome here! Look forward to sharing a glass of wine and a braaivleis (barbeque!) with you again in November. Warm regards from Pam and her friendly staff.
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I stayed at Amanzi for just over a week and as a return visitor I am still surprised to see that Pam and her staff continuously work hard to make every stay even more perfect than the last one.

Everything is well maintained and very clean. It feels like coming home whenever I am in Joburg. What I really love about the place is that even though there are several guests staying you still have lots of privacy and space.

I would highly recommend Amanzi Guest House to everyone who stays in Joburg for a few days (or longer)!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
pamelamary52, Owner at Amanzi Guest House, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Your comments are so appreciated and you are always so welcome in your South African home!
It is really encouraging that you recognize that we value our guests comfort and work hard as a team to keep improving facilities.
Warm wishes from Pam and her team
Leamington Spa UK
Reviewed 17 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at Amanzi for two weeks, over the Christmas period with our two grandchildren. We had a lovely two bedroom cottage at the bottom of the garden, which was just perfect for us.

Pam and her staff were so welcoming and helpful, it was so refreshing to find accomodation with this sort of service at such a reasonable price.

Being from the UK, this was our first experience of having Christmas in a warmer climate. Pam made sure we and the other guests, had a lovely Christmas breakfast together and New Years Eve invited us along with her to a friends house so we were not alone.

We cannot speak highly enough about our stay at Amanzi, perfect place to stay we certainly will return whenever we get the chance.

Many thanks, for helping to make our stay in Johannesburg such a happy and memorable one.

Jo, Mike, Courts and Kanye

Room Tip: Amanzi has various types to suit most needs, plus one and two bed cottages