“Excellent budget value; great service, clean rooms and friendly owners.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bob's Bunk House

Bob's Bunk House
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent budget value; great service, clean rooms and friendly owners.”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I stayed for 5 nights on a stopover at Bob's Bunk House in the first week of February 2011. I choose Bob's based on the good reviews and apparently being one of the cleanest guesthouses/hostels in Joburg. It indeed was very clean, had a pleasant relaxed atmosphere and featured great service from Bob and his sons. A small breakfast is even included as well as towels. They also helped me with planning and arranging some sightseeing trips in and around the city. I best liked the full-day Soweto and Apartheidmuseum tour; make sure you ask for Jabo and that he actually does the tour -- his knowledge and enthusiasm make for a great day. Altogether a great place to stay if you're on a budget.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Jen Bennett – Alone
Liked: Bob and Joan are fantastic! From the moment I contacted them before making a booking, Joan was exceptionally helpful. Once booked, she organised a taxi for me at the airport, booked my tours and even ordered pizza for me. Bob and Joan are very friendly, helpful, kind and courteous. They were always keen to know how the day had gone and did take time to chat with the guests. The night that I arrived there was a family party at the hostel and Joan had decided to accommodate me in the main house rather than the hostel so I could get some rest and sleep. I don't think there are many hostels that would be this considerate. I found the hostel to be clean and comfortable. There was also a shuttle service provided by Bob between the airport and the hostel between certain hours, but because I arrived late, they organised a taxi for me. (After all, they do deserve some time to themselves)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank dora_an_explorer
PASADENA
Reviewed 5 February 2011

My stay with my fiance at Bob's Bunkhouse was amazing. They treated us like family. Bob and Joan have got to be the two nicest people in the world. I did get a little confused driving to their location, but it wasn't that much of a problem. They were willing to wait up late for me. I have no complaints about the place. I have already recommended them to other people. The price is right, the location in proximity to the airport is amazing, and their personal service and family feel makes Bob's Bunkhouse a place I will certainly stay at again. The rooms were good for the price. My favorite part about Bob's Bunkhouse is Bob and Joan.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bubba1501
So. Cal
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I tried to book a room with Joan at Bob's. When i asked what the rate was for a dorm, i was told it was 2.5 times the normal rate of 120 Rand because of the world cup. Mind you, it is two nights before the final match (meaning its over, the tourists have gone home). She went on to justify the price increase because other countries raised their prices when they hosted the world cup as well. Okay, whatever, get ripped off for being there at the wrong time, no big deal. But it gets worse; They advertise free airport pickup, but when i asked to be picked up at 9pm i was told that they have people calling at all hours of the night and they need a break every once in a while, so i would have to take a cab for 120-150 Rand. When i told Joan that the inflated cost for the dorm room, coupled with the steep taxi fare, makes for a very expensive dorm room ($60) she got defensive and told me that i should look somewhere else.
So, here i am, writing a review telling YOU not to stay here, because i couldn't.
SHAME ON YOU JOANN FOR BEING GREEDY DURING THE WORLD CUP!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank ibejrock
39Design, Owner at Bob's Bunk House, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
I received a call from a women inquiring about accommodation during the World Cup. I gave her the rates & the rest of the details to which she complained that the rates were too high & she was not happy about the transport to & from the airport. I explained that we had thought long & hard about what the rates would be & when we found out what most backpackers were charging, we were happy that we were lower in price & once we put the prices out, we received plenty of bookings.
Breakfast was included in the rates & we added more to the breakfast so that our guests were getting their monies worth. We were fully booked most of the World Cup & no complaints from any of our guests. Our increased rates started on the 5th June 2010 & ended on the 13th July 2010 when the World Cup was over. Then the rates went back to normal & our free airport pick up from 7am -- 7pm.
With regards to the transport, we were informed that no private vehicles were allowed near the pick up & drop off areas at the airport, so we resorted to use the taxi cab service we use when necessary. They did not increase their rates over the World Cup period & once again the guests who did not rent a car & had to use the taxi cab were quite happy with the prices. She was still not happy with me, so I suggested she try another backpackers as I was unable to help her. I cannot understand how she can rate our hostel as she did not stay with us.
South Africa
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Coming from Cape Town it’s a bit of a pain going to Johannesburg as we have no family and friends that we can stay with, we opted to stay at Bob’s Bunkhouse for two nights to break our journey during a trip to Mozambique. I agree with the other review, Bob’s Bunkhouse isn’t easy to get to if you don’t have a car BUT they offered to collect us from the airport and they dropped us off, we paid extra for this but it was well worth it. You have to have a car if you are planning a trip in SA that just goes without saying. We stayed overnight and then headed to the airport after breakfast so can't comment on the other travellers review about food but I do know SA has Mr. Delivery who will deliver to your door from any restaurant in the area. We were warmly welcomed, the room was clean and we even got to take advantage of the huge pool albeit brief. Joan and Bob are perfect hosts and made us feel so at home.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
washington dc
Reviewed 1 February 2010

We stayed at Bob's Bunkhouse because they are the darling of the Lonely Planet thorn tree for hostels in Johannesburg, South Africa. The place was nice enough for a hostel (we even had our own bathroom) -- but it's also in the middle of nowhere -- and to get anywhere in Jozi expect to pay very hefty taxi fees. Bob and his wife are very nice, and they try hard to provide a safe and social environment -- but the reek of cigarettes is everywhere, the place is filthy, and there are no local restaurants, either in walking distance or for delivery (except for very average pizza). With that said, Bob's has quick DSL, a coke machine that dispenses beer, and loads of hot water. Does it get the Border Jumpers seal of approval?

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
39Design, Owner at Bob's Bunk House, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
This man & his wife booked to stay for 4 days. When he made the booking, I asked if he needed to be picked up & he said he had arranged his own transport. When he & his wife arrived we asked them if they needed help with day trips etc to which he replied they had made all the arrangements for the 4 days & their taxi would pick them up every morning & drop them off late afternoon which they did. We told them about the pub & grill round the corner from Bob's Bunk House & that the shops, fast foods & pubs were within walking distance from Bob's Bunk House which is a very safe area & all of our guests walk up & down all day. We also had a delivery service.
He & his wife were booked in the ensuite ( which has it's own bathroom as all ensuite's should have ) & there are signs in all the rooms that eating, drinking , smoking is not allowed . The smoking area is outside in the garden & bar area.
The day they left, his wife spoke to me for the first time & I realised after it was because they failed to pay for the 2 bottles of wine they had bought when they had their meal & by talking to me, she got off the subject. They left the room & bathroom in a total mess, but worse to come was they had sat in bed with the bedding all over the place & spat grape pips all over the bedroom carpet.
We won the Hostelbookers Award of Excellence for Cleanliness for 2010 so I have to disagree that Bob’s Bunk House is filthy.