“amazing times”

Lebo's Soweto Backpackers
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Great people, great experience. Stopped up most nights in the garden, listening to music round the fire chatting to Lebo his wife and all of there friends
Had an amazing time, the bike ride was an highlight of our whole travelling experience in Africa.
Would definately come again
Cheers guys, keep up the good work

Room Tip: definately go here!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
MariaLebo, Manager at Lebo's Soweto Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Thank you for your positive review, we are glad you had such a great time with all of us at Lebo's. Hope to see you back one day!

Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Great vibe, good food, if you have one day in Johannesburg, spend it at Lebo's Backpackers. Great base to visit the Apartheid Museum, Nelson Mandela's House and the Hector Peterson Museum from. Phone ahead and book your evening meal.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I stayed at Lebo's Soweto Backpackers three separate times over a two and a half month trip. When I am in the Johannesburg area, I would never consider staying anywhere but Lebo's! The accommodations are exactly what I needed, the food is great, the staff is friendly, the owners are amazing, and the set-up of the place is wonderful! After staying there a few times, I feel like it is a place I can call home. Lebo, Maria, and all the staff there became good friends. I cannot wait until I can return.
-Mude Mude

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Hi George and thanks for your positive review! We had a great time with you and appreciate all the time you spent in Soweto and our Backpackers! Keep well and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

We ended up needing to stay in Jo-burg a few extra days, moat of the budget hotel reviews were not good, I read about Lebo's, checked the reviews on trip advisor and decided it would be the perfect place for our family. The place is spotless, Maria and Lebo could not have been nicer. We needed to stay at Grandma's for 2 nights because the main hostel was booked, but this turned out to be another great experience. Lebo or another worker would take us back and forth when ever we wanted. Dinner's were fabulous, the camp fires at night were very relaxing and the showers were hot! We took the 4 hour bike tour and learned a lot about the history of Soweto. We had gone to the Aparthied museum the day before, so the bike tour tied everything in for us. We felt completely safe and found staying in Soweto a great introduction to Africa!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in the dorm try and get a bed in the main house, it will be a little warmer on...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank bikingmom
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is a wonderful backpackers,owners are great,the bike tour is the best.A real must do while in South Africa,thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Do thge bike tour
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Great hostel, wonderfull and friendly people! You should definitly go on a bike tour to Soweto, best experience ever! Eat a soweto burger, visit the museum! Really great!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I recently spent four days in Soweto and stayed at Lebo's. Being over 50 I preferred having a room to myself and was given a fine room at Lebo's grandmother's home. This was perfect for me. Nana was very sweet and we had a few nice conversations. There was NEVER a problem getting a ride to and from this home ten minutes drive from the main backpackers.
Each day we arranged the time I was to be picked up and brought to the main place for breakfast and from then on it was the same as if I was staying there. In the evening Lebo took me back whenever i wished. Of course, there were other people staying in the other rooms as well - we did come up with times for these journeys that suited all parties rather than have Lebo make three trips in 30 minutes! It was a matter of being considerate yet we were free to all be as independent as we wanted. In other words, do not hesitate to stay at grandma's home.
The room itself was spotless, very comfortable, had an electric heater for a couple of cool nights, the shared shower had plenty of hot water, and it was very quiet. I enjoyed the social time with the travelers at the backpackers yet it was nice to get away at the end of the day. An ideal situation for me!
Besides this, I highly recommend the all day bicycle tour. For a person of my age it was very moving to visit the places of historical interest that were once current events in my life. Very moving. The riding itself was only a little bit strenuous toward the end with one slightly uphill stretch.
The guides were very knowledgeable and extremely helpful. They are careful to make sure that everyone is safe at any intersection, etc. They were attentive to anyones needs and it was very well organized. It was the highlight of my visit. I live in Uganda so the price was steep for me but I was so pleased afterward and realized what good value the full day tour was. Highly recommended.
Otherwise, the staff at Lebos was so helpful with questions about transportation and sights in Soweto and Johannesburg. You can easily take public transport to Jo'burg - you don't have to stay in Jo'burg to 'see' it. Staying in Soweto works well.
The food at Lebos was the big surprise. Each meal was excellent and the dinners were outstanding, healthy, and generous. Tremendous value!!!
I am getting a bit old for the typical backpacker experience but Lebo's did it all about as right as could be. Everyone else who came through during my four days seemed equally impressed. Don't hesitate to stay in Soweto as the local people were friendly when I took a few walks in the area including to Mandela's house and a large shopping mall. No problem.
If you go, stay at Lebo's! He is a great guy and he has surrounded himself with an equally fine staff!!!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet private room ask to stay at Lebo's grandmothers home a short drive away. you...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
The Soweto Hotel on Freedom Square
HomeBase Melville
HomeBase Melville
#9 of 123 in Johannesburg
Authentic African Tours and Back Packers

Been to Lebo's Soweto Backpackers? Share your experiences!