“AWESOME!!!”

Lebo's Soweto Backpackers
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My friends and I decided to have a Soweto experience and spent a weekend at Lebo's Backpackers.
I must admit though that I am more of a hotel girl, than a backpackers type of person, so sleeping at a backpackers was going to be a whole new expirence. When we arrived we were warmly received by the owner, Lebo. The following day we got to meet the staff who were very welcoming, the receptionist, Ntiyso, was friendly and very helpful.
My friends and I went on the bicycle tour, which was amazing, the place also has tuk tuk tour for people who do not prefer riding bicycles. - when we got back from the bicycle tour we ate the local food, which was devine. I must admit that Lebo's Backpackers chamged my mind on Backpacking - because of the high standards they have.

Should you wish to have a real Soweto expirence I highly recommend Lebo's Backpackers - its very clean and homey, home away from home. and it felt like I was at a hotel, the standards are very high. THANK YOU LEBO FOR THE AWESOME EXPIRENCE!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kana1

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and this was our last stop in SA.trip.

The place was great and safe. We was like to stay at home. The team was friendly and helpful. The home made food was delicious. The room was clean. We joined the Tuk Tuk Tour which was very informative and let us know more about the black's history. .

We tried their public transportation to go outside. It was safe and easy to find.

We recommend to everyone if you want to experience Soweto.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jacqueline C
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Very relaxed vibe. Staff was so friendly and helpful and the home cooked meals (extra cost) were delicious! Don't fear staying in Soweto - people are very friendly all over. The rooms/bathrooms and the hostel in general were spotless. I would recommend to anyone to stay here. Do the bike tour they offer - excellent way to see the township

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kris G
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Im sandra and worked @ lebos for the world cup sesson. it was a VERY pleasant life experience, which i will never forget and would do it over and over again. it was like home from home. meeting defferent people from oll ova the world every day and a bicycle tour made me learn somethings that i didnt even know about my hood SOWETO. le music= excellent,le people=excellent,le invironment=excellent All is EXCELENT. i most definatly recomended to EVERYBODY who wants to have a life time experience on SOWETO. LOVE

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 951sandra_p
Reviewed 11 June 2013

I loved my stay @ Lebo's Soweto Backpackers for many reasons. it is a great place, warm welcome, friendly staff. They supported me a lot to fix my trips in and around Johannesburg.
The food was fantastic. The location is good. You can lean back at different nice and comfortable chill-out areas in the garden like the fire place, where you can meet backpackers, staff and enjoyable people from the neighbourhood. Just listen to the music, talk, dance, play pool, have some drinks or just relax!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the dorm for a week. You share it with some others. Thats been great for me. But you can...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicola J
MariaLebo, Manager at Lebo's Soweto Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thanks Nicola! We are happy you had such a good time with us and enjoyed our Soweto vibe. We hope to see you back again!

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Elaine & I are from Ireland. We stayed at Lebo's 2 nights, 26th & 27th May. Well what can we say. Our stay was really really good.
We were met as arranged by our driver and taken straight from Jo'burg. airport to Lebo's. To be honest at the start of our arrival into Soweto, it was kind of a daunting experience to be in such a different place that the media has portrayed for a long time as being dangerous etc. etc.. On our arrival at Lebo's, we checked into our double room which was basic but clean and very comfortable.
We were keen to walk around the area but were unsure. Staff member assured us it was safe and we went for it. She was indeed correct. We were able on several occasions to walk around the area unaccompanied without any hastle whatsoever. We were greeted by residents on the streets welcoming us to South Africa and it appeared as if locals were very happy to see tourists visit their area.
Next day we took part in the guided 4 hour cycle around Soweto. This was a most excellent experience and very much worth the 450 Rand. I don't understand how a previous reviewer said it was a rip off. It was far from that. For the experience we enjoyed, we would have paid twice the price and that's honest. Our guide "Love" was excellent. She took us to a "sheeben" (great Irish word!!) and we met locals and drank local beer. We also had cow's cheek in another location nearby, well I had, Elaine didn't brave this one. Wouldn't be to everyone's taste. We cycled past Nelson Mandela's old home as well as a home of Archbishop Desmond Tutu's. "Love" sang us "Awimbawe" song brilliantly. We didn't realise this song originated in Soweto!! "Love" was very informed and gave us a great insight into the history of Soweto. She also took a keen interest in all the participants on our tour and our backgrounds. Tour included lunch and whole day was brilliant.
The staff overall at Lebo's are really nice and are very approachable and keen to help you out if required. At night there is a barrel with a nice fire in it in the "beach bar" out the back. Real reggae vibe going on here which wouldn't be our scene but it actually was really enjoyable and will probably buy my first Bob C.D. soon!! The bar has an honestly policy whereby you take your beer / wine etc. and mark it down on a sheet at the bar and pay bill on leaving. Really convenient actually. There were two German girls, Anna & Irina staying here same time as us and we enjoyed few drinks with them in the "beach bar".
Lebo's is definitely worth a stay and the bike tour is a must. Is definitely a different experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank owen m

Hi Owen and Elaine! Thank your for your positive and detailed review. Reviews mean a lot to us and to our staff and be sure we will share your comments with all our staff. We hope you can make it back to Soweto and Lebo's one day!

All the best!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I didn't stay at Lebo's backpackers, I only took the bike tour. I allready did several tours in Soweto but this bike tour was the most interesting one. Tsepo gave us a lot of interesting info and took us to several places. We really experienced the life in Soweto: we visited a shebeen, ate some pap with tradional cooked meat. Nice! Thx Tsepo for the very nice bike tour!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SarahLokeren_Belgium
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
The Soweto Hotel on Freedom Square
HomeBase Melville
HomeBase Melville
#9 of 123 in Johannesburg
Authentic African Tours and Back Packers

Been to Lebo's Soweto Backpackers? Share your experiences!