“Okish experience”
Review of Life on 3rd

Life on 3rd
Ranked #30 of 298 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Location is fine but you cannot walk at night. Room is okay. Breakfast is good. The treatment was just fine but could have been nicer. Nothing more to add. Dont understand why the ask to fill 200 characters... : !

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Lifeon3rd, Owner at Life on 3rd, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Hello

Thank you for writing your review. I am the new owner of Life on 3rd so felt I had to respond to your review. I apologize if you felt that our staff were not to your satisfaction. I will certainly let them read your comments. Most other reviews are favourable in this regard. We are pleased you enjoyed your breakfast though. We hope to see you again as we are planning some improvements to the rooms and the B and B in general and would appreciate the opportunity to improve your experience next time.

We appreciate all reviews. Thank you.

Kind regards
Bernard

Reviewed 18 May 2014

The service Was very good, i realy enjoyed my breakfast, and i loved the fact that it was a full English breakfast. Life on 3rd has an excellent location, not a noisy place, and i loved the fact that the malls were easily accesible, and one can just walk to the malls. My wish is for the rooms to have bar fridges. I also wish visitors times could be looked into, by adding adding an extra hour to the visiting hours. I did enjoy my stay altogether

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Peggy M
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have been to Life on 3rd many times, and it's a great place to get back to. Melville is lovely, and so is the guest house. Beulah and Lydia are amazing hosts and the breakfast is delicious! It is a great entry point to Johannesburg.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ada T
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed at lifeon3rd to explore the Apartheid Museum and get to know Joburg a bit. It is very well located and easy to find all the destinations in Johannesburg buth lifeon3rd as a base.
We found it very accomodating and enjoyed our stay there.
The breakfast is really good and the house of plenty of inside and outside space, besides the rooms, to sit and read a book or enjoy a sundowner.
Really a good place to stay whilst in Johannesburg.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mara_Joburg14
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Life on 3rd ticked every point on my wish list. I dreaded an impersonal hotel in the outer suburbs with no place to explore except some chain-store filled shopping mall. So I spent hours reading Trip Advisor reviews and booked myself into Life on 3rd which proved to be a personal, friendly and super-clean Bed & Breakfast. The welcome was warm. Everywhere was spotless. My bed was comfortable and there were no nasties in the bathroom. The breakfasts were delicious.

One wall of my bedroom was a huge glass window that rather masked the fact that the rooms were so small that there was barely room to walk around the double bed. There was also a real shortage of cupboard space so staying more than a couple of nights would have been a challenge and I was glad to have a double room to myself.

Lydia happily arranged for me to be met at the airport, told me where to find the local shops and boutiques and warned me against walking around alone after dark. Once I found the local tuk-tuk service I was free to enjoy my lazy dinners in one of the many nearby restaurants and bars. I would happily stay at Life on 3rd again.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for advice when you book. Most bedrooms are reached via a narrow path a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you are in and around city center Jhb, it is a comfortable drive from Life on 3rd. Room was quite small not really space for sitting and working in the afternoons or evenings (Except on the bed) Need for a little t.l.c in the bathroom area. Basin wall seemed like it was in need of some repairs and the carpet in the bathroom is not a good idea especially round the toilet area (slight smell in there). Not sure about eateries in the area found a decent SPAR nearby and used that for supper. Little bit scared to go out alone.
Staff is very friendly and breakfast was great, loved the setting there. It was a nice drive to my daily venue and for that reason I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Thanks for a comfortable, affordable, conveniently located, safe and friendly stay! And a delicious breakfast with great coffee. My late arrival thanks to travel woes was a non-issue, and breakfast was served early enough for me to comfortably get to my first meeting.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business