“One of the best guest house I've been”
Review of Life on 3rd

Life on 3rd
Ranked #27 of 299 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2010

"Life on 3rd" was one of the best guest house i have ever been to. The place is really cozy, the rooms are great, and the staff is very very nice. Breakfast was included in the price we paid for the room and it was excellent, something I was always looking forward to. The guest house is located in Melville, one of the nicest areas of Johannesburg, with lots of restaurants, bar, pubs near by. The manger, Damien, was particulary helpful and kind, and, together with the rest of the staff, made us feel like we were friends, not just guests. This truly is one place I would highly recommend anyone staying when visiting Johannesburg!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank TheTravelingMuppett

Reviewed 28 June 2010

Recently stayed here during the World Cup. Damien was a great help to us in arranging transport to Rustenburg which you would have thought was on the other side of the planet due to the lack of public transport (thanks FIFA).

Comfortable, clean rooms. Private lodgings but this had the feel of a backpackers place which was a great thing for us, allowing us to chat to fellow travellers.

The cooked breakfast was not to everyones taste in our party, although there were other options available so no real concerns here.

I would be happy to reccomend a stay at Life on 3rd - a 5 to 10 minute walk from the bars on 7th

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank hoodontherun
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I can't even begin to say enough about how wonderful Life on 3rd is. My husband, my extended family, and my puppy were welcomed there with open arms and were treated like family. All of the staff went above and beyond to welcome us into their incredible home. It is one of the most beautiful places we have ever stayed (the art is incredible) and the breakfasts were perfect. It's located in one of my favourite places in Jo'burg, Melville and just a short walk to many cafes, and shops. The best part, however, was the staff and we will never forget their kindness, their hospitality and their generousity. I highly recommend Life on 3rd.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank KarenSwaziland
Reviewed 21 May 2010

So I booked a room in this guest house at the extortionate price of 175 euro per day per person for 6 days in the world cup time. Yes people your eyes are ok, that is 150 british pounds or 225 american dollars for a room in a guest house!!!

I entered my VISA card details on the guest house website and received a confirmation of the booking which I had all printed. I then relaxed knowing I had accomodation sorted for my stay in Johannesburg. I then received an email from the owner(?) Damien at lunchtime the next day that my VISA card wasnt accepted(which has about 4000 euro in it) and he requested the details of another credit card. SInce I was at work I supplied him the details of my MASTERCARD as soon as I got home from work in the afternoon. Some time later I received an email from him saying that he already gave the room away after I made the booking because my card wasnt working.

Yes, your reading is ok, he gave the room during the day(as if!!). He then even had the cheek to offer me another room which looked really bad in the photos for around 225 euros per day in another area of JHB!! Like I would ever trust him again!

It looks to me like he had this guesthouse full and he is trying to lure people in and move them to another place he owns just to profit from tourists going to the World Cup. If that is the level of service in this guest house I would avoid at all costs!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank George K
Lifeon3rd, Manager at Life on 3rd, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2010

Dear Reviewer,

When you booked a room on line the website notified me that you left me your card details. When I tried to process your card it was declined. I tried it several times. I notified you by email that the card declined and heard nothing back from you. Our terms and conditions on the website states that we dont hold bookings over the world cup without a payment. So I released your booking. You emailed me back eventually a day and a half later. The room you originally booked was booked by another guest. So I offered you the only room I had left, and you became very upset. No money changed hands, and you didn't suffer any financial loss, and therefore I didnt commit fraud. This is a very serious allegation and not substantiated with proof. I realise that you were upset and that you wanted to lash out and take revenge, and this is the result of that.

I sincerely hope that you found accommodation elsewhere, and that you enjoy the world cup.

Warm regards

Damien
Life on 3rd

Reviewed 19 May 2010

I am a frequent business traveller and recently had the pleasure of staying at Life on 3rd. From my booking to arrival and departure I found the Life on 3rd experience professional as well as home away from home. The location, food, atmosphere and room deco is fabulous! I highly recommend Life on 3rd to both frequent and occasional travellers, as well as business and leisure. It's popular so book in advance.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank tatiasimone
Reviewed 14 May 2010

That is how I was made to feel. Lize(owner), thank you for establishing Life on 3rd SA. Damien(host) completely understands the stress of travelling, and he went out of the way to make me feel comfortable. I will never forget our talks about tne need to experience life and how we have to leave our comfort zone to succeed. Lydia and Jennifer( housekeepers and cooks)Great sense of humour and optimistic about their new life in SA. Thank you all for welcoming me into your lives

Brenda Gonzales, Michigan, USA

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank brendaGon
Reviewed 9 March 2010

Even that It has been a while since my trip, this charming place reallys deserves a nice comment. Until today I remember the great location, service, organization and decoration. Inspiring place. The ones who are looking for some privacy I would reccomend to not share the rooms, as the bathrooms are comfortable for one person.
Definitly worth a stay it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family