“Bit of a mixed bag”

Ginnegaap Guesthouse
Ranked #12 of 299 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights en route back home to Cape Town. The location for us was great - close to the CBD, a short drive to Gold Reef City and within easy walking distance access to restaurants and shops.

The first thing you should know about Ginnegaap is that a number of rooms are not in the main house that is shown on the website, but in outside buildings. The main house and gardens are nicely maintained and pleasingly decorated, but some of the other areas are much more neglected. The walk to our little unit was down a rickety path through a rather scruffy looking garden. The parking area down the side was very rough with lots of broken up surfaces. A shame, because it really detracted from the overall impression of the guesthouse.

The décor and finishes inside our room were generally nice, but again, a lack of some finishing touches dragged down the overall impression. There was a heater in the room that probably originated from the 1970's and other than potentially being unsafe it was unsightly and let off a smell when switched on. Some cupboards in the kitchenette were not finished properly.

Our little unit consisted of a main room with a single bed in a small alcove and a kitchenette/ diner in a separate alcove. The layout was practical for us travelling with our son as he could head off to bed and we could still stay up and watch TV in the main room.

As someone who likes a dark room when I sleep, I find it frustrating when guesthouses insist on installing bright outside lights with no way to turn them off and without providing proper light blocking curtains. There is a large outdoor lantern in the garden outside the unit which still shines through the fairly heavy dark curtains.They need light blocking lining like in hotels especially since the windows include large sliding doors.

The service was professional and there was access to staff after hours if needed. The breakfasts deserve a special mention - they are served in the main house in a beautifully decorated period room. The choice and quality of food is fantastic and better than many 4* establishments that I have stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Rollingstone2000
Corlien P, Owner at Ginnegaap Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for your constructive criticisms and also the good things you said about Ginnegaap. We always welcome complaints from our guests as we see this as a way to keep on improving. I agree wholeheartedly will all you mentioned especially the garden in front of our newly built family unit. We finished this unit 3 weeks ago and the garden was completely ruined. Since your departure we have planted trees, shrubs and flowers and put in a complete new lawn. By Spring, this part of our garden will look just as nice as the rest of our gardens. We thank you again for taking the time to tell us where we can improve.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I read a review before we got there that siad it truly feels like home at the Ginnegaap. I think that is an understatement! It felt much better than home to us!! The people running the place make a beautiful breakfast everyday with a menu to order from, including omlettes, etc. They are so kind and helpful. And our room was gorgeous, clean, and comfortable. You cannot beat this neighborhood for awesome food and shops as well. We hope to return someday!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Mary T

Thank you for all the nice things said about Ginnegaap. For me and my staff it is great to know that our efforts to make people feel at home is successful.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Great, cozy place to stay in JoBurg. I felt like I was staying at someones house and really appreciated the level of care they take to accomodate each of their guests. This was my first times traveling solo somewhere and from the moment I arrived I felt well taken care of. The staff is very accommodating and the owner was more than flexible with my constantly changing travel plans. If you're thinking of doing a tour while in JoBurg I would definitely recommend the ones offered through the guesthouse. I'm not usually much of a tour girl but Jaco spoke to me about them when he picked me up from the airport and I figured it wouldn't hurt. I ended up being carted around by him 3 days in a row and loved it!

The rooms are great, lots of space, light and some with outdoor areas. They have electric blankets on the beds which in the winter is the best thing ever! The other guests staying there at the time were wonderful and so friendly. It was great to have people to chat with and even go out with as a solo traveler. I was not expecting that which was a great bonus!

The breakfasts are great, fresh and a great variety. I have a special love of the french toast - so yummy!

Just something small to note, they are next to a school so certain rooms are closer to that and offer a built in alarm clock during weekdays :) Nothing awful but just good to know. Also there is no phone in the room which was tough for me since my phone decided not to work at all there. Otherwise I have nothing but good things to say about this place. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lindsay G

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about Ginnegaap. We like to think that Ginnegaap is truly a home away from home.

Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

Cozy guesthouse in Melville (a nice suburb of Joberg) walking distance from a street full of restaurants, bars, and shops. The staff was great - they arranged airport pick-up / drop-off and a tour of Soweto. The breakfast was delicious and the day we left early for a Pilansberg safari the staff left us a cold breakfast. The room was well-stocked, clean, and the bed was beyond comfortable. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Traveloski
Reviewed 28 April 2013

I have just returned from South Africa and wanted to write a review on this wonderful guest house.
I stayed at the beginning of a trip with family and then at the end on my own. Each time I was really impressed with the standard of service offered by the owner, her son and the staff.
Nothing was too much trouble. We took advantage of the tours on offer and had a couple of very informative days carried out by the owner son.
The rooms are of very generous size and tastefully decorated. I loved the iron and hairdryer that are provided, a godsend.
I really want to go back to South Africa and I know I will rebook Ginnegapp. Melville area is lovely with many eating options and shopping near by. Thank you

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mazz F
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My husband and I had a most enjoyable stay at Ginnegaap Guest House. We spent one night there before we went on a three day safari at the Kruger Park and a second night when we returned. We were able to leave our suitcases there while we were away which was very convenient. Both of our rooms were very comfortable, huge beds with lovely bed linen and nice towells and toileteries. The breakfast was excellent, lots of choice and we were able to eat outside in the beautiful garden. The staff were so friendly and welcoming and couldn't be more helpful. The location was superb for visiting bohemian 7th Street with it's trendy bars and restaurants. I would highly recommend this guest house to anyone wishing to visit Johannesburg.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2013

My business trip wat in JHB CBD, and wanted a place nearby but safe.
And what a lovely vibe in the street with resturants neerby.
Guesthouse is stunning!!!
Would definitely recommend Ginnegaap.
Thanks