“Intercontinental Hotel prices w/ Holiday Inn service”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
“Intercontinental Hotel prices w/ Holiday Inn service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Spent only one night here; checked in with no problems except for the mild rebuke by the receptionist for not knowing my IHC number by heart -- alas, I'm only a Gold Elite, not Platinum Elite. I guess he felt bad talking in such a brusque manner to me, because his attitude immediately changed (which is something that really says something (negative) about a place that an attitude is any different for any paying customer...). After checking in, we were surprised by the modern amenities of the new room. Soon a brisk knock at the door: could that be some complimentary bottled water or sodas to make up for the rudeness upon check in? No. It was only housecleaning barging in to remove some fresh fruit and a quart of milk that was being chilled in the reefer. The room is artfully decorated an modern, with one of those Avant Garde bathrooms with only glass separating the bathroom from the sleeping area. Alas, the lack of frosted glass adds sophistication and class -- which is quickly removed when you notice that you can see the toilet due to the reflection and thus, watch your partner taking care of business while you lie on the bed. There is no way to offset this, unless you turn off the bathroom lights. Ridiculous. Well, it was our last night in Joburg, so no need to dwell on the trifling things. Came in from a wonderful evening at the Grillhouse, listening to some outstanding live jazz from the band "Denim", eating Peri Peri chicken livers and a bone-in ribeye with Stellenbosch wine, followed by some wonderful port and a great cigar. What a great evening it was! We were just looking forward to a quiet walk to the hotel and a good night's rest before the flight. Ahhh: forgot to get toothpaste. Kindly walked down the front desk and asked for a toothbrush kit. Was matter-of-factly told that it would take 20 minutes. Huh?! Inquired a little less tactfully as to why a toothbrush kit would take 20 minutes to retrieve, and was told that such amenities weren't stored at the desk but in some type of secured, lock-down toothbrush kit storeroom that would take time to access. As I grew exasperated with such inefficiency, the burly security guard who was watching the revolving door menacingly walked towards me. As if I was screaming and yelling and going to jump across the chest-high marble counter; no, I was simply in an agitated state as to why I couldn't get a toothbrush kit in something less than 20 minutes... I turned to walk away in disgust and walked towards the elevator, resigned to the fact that I would go to bed with furry teeth that night. No biggie, right? Immediately, I heard voices speaking in a local dialect inquiring as to what the hubbub was about -- apparently the MoD had just walked up. How did I know that the three of them (clerk, MoD, security guard) were talking about me, seeing as I don't speak the local dialect? Well, even in the local dialect that was the lingua franca that night, amidst chucking and chorting, I heard the word "toothbrush" -- so, obviously they were remarking about the idiot guest who was making his way to the elevator, clearly still within earshot. I didn't feel like making a scene, and simply went up to my room and watched my companion pee from the bed whilst falling asleep... I will never stay at a Holiday Inn, IHC or Crowne Plaza again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fairkim
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Dear fairkim,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the number of service lapses experienced during your stay with us. I am actually very embarrassed to hear that you had such an unpleasant experience at our hotel.

Your feedback on the staff attitude and the dental kit that was only delivered to your room after 20 min is certainly not reflective of the levels of service we strive to offer to every single guest of our hotel. Please know that I take your feedback very seriously and I will definitely look into each individual service element raised together with my management team, as there is no excuse for the lack of service that you received.

May we take this opportunity to assure you that corrective action will be taken to ensure that this is not a repeating occurrence. We sincerely hope that Crowne Plaza Johannesburg can be of service to you in the future and trust that the problems encountered will not blemish your perception of our hotel.

Allan Clingham – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Clean, safe place to stay. Nice rooms, not luxurious but if you like Crowne Plaza's quality/have stayed at others, this one is certainly on par if not above many I'd say. No great views to speak of, but the hotel is probably in the best place in the greater Johannesburg area to stay in so it makes up for it.

Breakfast buffet is good (including omlette station/made to order), and they have a barista in the lobby, also a nice touch. Walkable to a shopping center area in case you need things, and a great brunch place as well. Some great restaurants also a very short drive away.

Free wifi for 1hr a day which while not perfect, was very workable as I was out most days working.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Dear Shane M,

Thank you for review on your recent stay with us here at The Crowne Plaza, Johannesburg - The Rosebank hotel.

Thank you for your compliments on our breakfast and our barrister on the lobby. We are constantly looking to exceed our guest’s expectations and create a memorable dinning experience away from the hustle and bustle.

Once again thank you for your wonderful review, and we hope to welcome your back on your next trip to Johannesburg.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I have spent 9 nights in the hotel in total at various times while travelling for business and the experience is not one I relish. Both the room service and restaurant menu are extremely limited and unimaginative, and the food bland and uninspiring. It should also be noted that there are barely any vegetarian options on either menu. The design of the bathrooms is such that water sprays all over the floor from the shower, and similarly from the basin. That said: the location is wonderful, very close to Rosebank mall and the Gautrain station, the staff are helpful and friendly, and the breakfast buffet is very good!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Kylie557,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your helpful observations with the Tripadvisor readers.

We welcome your view regarding the range we offer on our menu and also our food quality. We can therefore assure you that we will look into your concerns and that we have brought it to our Executive Chef attention. Our maintenance team will also look into your feedback on the topic of the water spillage when the shower is being used.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back soon.

Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

A reservation fee of R 11 k was made from my visa card representing a 1 week fee for my stay. On checking out I was made to reswipe my card foor 8 k but instead of charging the 8 k from the 11 k that was already reserved they charged an additional 8 k without me knowin. so they charged a total of 19 k thus emptying my bank account. After dining at a restauran with family I was shocked to see my payment being declined on payment. My bank account was empty and I didnt know why and I didnt have cash. I had to make alternate arrangement to get money and after an enquiry at the bank I discovered that it was the hotels responsbility. I had to go back to drive back to the hotel and tried to explain the problem before I could get a reverse of my money..Another incident was a wrong tag placed at breakfast for vegetable stir fry which contained beef. I am a vegetarian and I consumed beef thinkg that was soya. This is such a grave mstake and I was only greeted by a mere sorry from the manager. How pathetic..
I am an SA public servant and on trip for the DEpt health. In October last year i paid a fee of 950 per night and after 3 months I was there for the same company and showed the the same letters and my payment was 1500 per night?? It just doesnt make sense..

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tavish11
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Tavish11,
We would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We were most concerned to learn of the events during your with us. It is unfortunate that we are unable to do proper investigation due to the limited information supplied on Tripadvisor.
Guest feedback forms a vital part of our business and the input we receive from our guests is imperative for us to ensure that your expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments we would never know whether you leave our establishment completely satisfied and most importantly leave disappointed and dissatisfied!

If at all possible we would appreciate a more detailed feedback in order to address your concerns related to the credit card charge and to your rate.

Salmaan Losper – Front Office Manager
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

We stayed here in Nov 2011 and were very happy with our stay here. The location was very good and close to the shopping malls and good food options around the mall. The rooms were very comfortable and nice and I am told that this is a good location to be in Johannesburg.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to people.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. It’s very much appreciated!
I am delighted to receive your commendations on your experience at our hotel and to hear that our team has lived up to the promise by providing you with genuine and true hospitality.
I hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Allan Clingham – General Manager
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Unfortunately I only stayed one night. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The only gripe I have is that all of the power points in the room were of the South African variety and that wasn’t catered for by the converter I carry with me. I found the hotel in Durban did offer at least one other plug configuration. Regardless the rooms were clean and comfortable.
The food was very good both at restaurant for lunch and dinner and also the breakfast room. A very good selection of dishes that should cater to most tastes was available.
This was our first time to Jo'burg so we found the guys at the travel desk very helpful. Considering some of the horror stories I've heard about taxis in S.A. I think it's well worth using them.
In general all of the staff were very helpful and friendly. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
Dear China_Frequently,

What wonderful feedback.

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your great comments with the Tripadvisor folks.

We appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the power plugs in our bedrooms that does not cater for international plugs. Please note that we do keep some international adapters at our front desk that is available to guests that require international adapters.

We hope that we can welcome you back very soon.

Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

We spent one night at the Crowne Plaza en route to Australia. Friendly and efficient staff. Room size was good with comfortable king size bed and nice view although the bathroom is very small and towels quite threadbare. Great variety breakfast and efficient service. Did not use the gym or business centre.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear terrydavidson,

Thank you for taking some time out of your day to post some feedback on Trip Advisor regarding our hotel it is much appreciated.

We are so pleased to read that you had a great time with us, your message has been shared with the team and we are most thankful, it really makes us happy to see that we have created and left you with some great memories of our hotel.

We trust to see you again soon!