“Best Crowne Plaza in S. Africa”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Best Crowne Plaza in S. Africa”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

As my father was an Israeli diplomat - we used to stay in this hotel but after 15 years I flew to S. africa alone to see my friends and stayed at this hotel. The hotel is so beautiful and the desine is one of the best. The staff gives you a great welcome at front desk and in a few moments you are in your room with a view that is the line of Crowne Plaze. The service and the food is outstanding and if you need a tour at the Saffari - the staff will help you at once. MOST RECOMENDED when you are in Johansburg for night-over or a week

Room Tip: I think the best rooms are on the South side
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Hotel_Management2010, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear "Natan L",

We are humbled by your spectacular review! Thank you for the support and for choosing to stay at our beloved Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank.

Do make sure you pay us another visit soon when returning to South Africa.

Alwyn Hoffman - Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel a few times in the past few months. It's well managed. As a guest you have a feeling that staff is motivated to excel. There is always room for improvement but the overall experience is great.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room on the north tower
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear "1stAccidentalTourist",

Its "always a pleasure" to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg! Thank you so much for your kind recommendations on TripAdvisor.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stopped off in Joburg to see some friends on the way to the Cape, were recommened to stay in either Sandton or Rosebank - choose Rosebank as price wise it's cheaper, the hotel itself it very nice, good facilities and has a mall very near by with a lot of restaurant - see separate review for The Grillhouse. Overall very good for our brief stop.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear "Krippy1999",

Glad to hear we have been able to create a comfortable and relaxing "stop over" when visiting Johannesburg! Do make sure you pay us another visit soon.

Alwyn Hoffman - Guest Relations Manager
India
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Positives: Safe Location, Parking space.
Average: Breakfast Buffet.
Negatives: The rooms are terribly small, the service is unimaginably slow, the check-in process is lengthy and they are not efficient with payments. I had to stand on counter for more than an hour to complete the formalities. The people will take their sweet time to deliver something to your room. While having breakfast I was struggling with the cloche of a dish and the lady was looking at me from a distance to know how I will figure it out instead of coming and helping me. They simply dont care, there is no motivation.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear "Chandan M",

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback! You can imagine I was unpleasantly surprised to read your review and would like to offer my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience.

The quality and speed of service you have received is certainly not reflective of the levels we strive to offer to every single guest of our hotel. I can however assure you that our team members "do care" about your quality of stay and are definitely motivated to provide efficient and effective guest service to every guest at the hotel. So, I am convinced that your experience is a rare and isolated one and not a repeating occurrence.

I will carefully review your comments with the senior management team and evaluate how this could have been avoided. Thank you for assisting us in our ongoing drive for quality and enabling us to improve the hospitality offered to our guests.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

Great hotel, clean and close to rosebank mall with plenty of shops and restaurants. So close on fact that you can walk.

Internet is free for IHG reward members and more often than not normal members as well. Speed and connectivity are great.

Breakfast is good not the best.

Rooms are clean and bed is comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear "travelmate182",

Thank you for the great recommendations! We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Allan Clingham - General manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Crowne Plaza (Rosebank) has always been one of my favorite hotels (I spend 60 - 90 nights a year in hotels) and I stay there exclusively when in Johannesburg (as reviewed previously on this site). But a couple months ago I had a less-than-wonderful experience there: things just didnt seem to be going right with the room, check out, etc. I was worried things were slipping. But I had accumulated points and decided to redeem them and give the hotel another try. I was so pleased to find the hotel even exceeded my expectations; this was easily my best experience at the venue and that is saying a lot. I was warmly greeted not only by a member of staff but the manager. Check-in took 3 minutes and I was in my room (even using points, I was still upgraded which was a pleasant surprise). Everything in the room was clean and perfect. As I've written before, the Crowne's rooms are among the most comfortable and quiet hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. I've never heard a sound from outside my room. The only downside is you truly don't want to get out of the comfortable bed in the morning! Easy and safe walking distance to the Rosebank shopping complex (although, be warned, Rosebank mall is largely a construction site at the moment with more than half the shops and restaurants closed so if you are eager to do some serious shopping I recommend you jump on the Rosebank Gautrain and head to Sandton). Had room service for the first time - ordered a double burger because usually room service burgers are small. This was excellent and huge - couldn't finish! Fortunately the gym at Crowne is first rate and the perfect place to work off that burger! In short, Crowne definitely won me back and I'm looking forward to my next stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Dear "John H",

What a great review! We sincerely appreciate your loyalty and support to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg.

Dropping the ball is only acceptable if it's followed up by a relentless focus on fixing the issue, getting it right and driving ongoing improvement. We are so pleased to hear we have been able to win back your trust.

We can't wait to hosting you again soon when returning to our beautiful country.

Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We enjoyed a brief stay after our safari and were really impressed. Clean, modern and a very attentive staff. Great location for seeing the sights. Not a choice if you want to stay close to the airport.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear "Dennis G",

Excellent feedback!

We are thrilled to hear we have been able to create a comfortable and relaxing stay upon your return from the bush!

Do make sure you stay with us for a bit longer and check out the sights and sounds of Johannesburg, when returning to South Africa!