“Great stay with very friendly staff”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great stay with very friendly staff”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our stay at the Crown Plaza Rosebank was great. We only stayed for 1 night as we were attending a function in the area but would have loved to stay longer. Check in was smooth and Tandy was super friendly, informative and very professional. She gave us all the information we required and exceptional service. Thank you Tandy! We booked 4 rooms as we were travelling with 4 adults and 3 kids. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and very modern. Both families had a suite with and an inter-leading standard room for the kids. Beds were comfortable and room amenities were good. We went to the DSTV Food & Music festival at Emmarentia Dam and booked a transfer through the hotel for an additional but reasonable fee. The transfer was on time, the driver very friendly and was familiar with the area. It was definitely worth making use of the hotel transfer as we did not have to worry about parking, traffic and finding our way to or from the venue. The location of the hotel is great and within walking distance to Rosebank Mall & the Zone. A great experience and will definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicky P
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Nicky P
I am delighted that The Crowne Plaza set the tone for your Musical outing on Saturday. Thank you for the wonderful feed back about the transfer staff , the hotel with its shining star Tandy as well as the close location of The Rosebank Mall and zone. I am confidant that we will be seeing you back with us before the next musical event and this time for a full week end visit .
Head Concierge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Cairns
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have stayed here once for work and liked it so much I thought I would stay for holidays. I had 3 nights here. My room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. I found the staff extremely friendly and they gave me lots of travel advise, they can arrange tours for you as we'll. It's close to the Gautrain, about a 5 min walk. Also close to the Mall. I ate at the restaurant and had the best steak, melt in your mouth type....delicious!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Jackster17
Thank You for the wonderful review about The Crowne Plaza as well as the Rosebank area. I trust that you will be returning soon to have yet another one of those " melt in your mouth type....delicious!" steaks at the Butcher Block.
Kabul
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I would recommend the Crowne Plaza to a business traveler that is not planning on spending all their time in the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were very friends, efficient, and helpful. Check-in was a breeze. The staff at the travel desk were always there to arrange a taxi, assist me with sightseeing options for the short free periods I had, or make a dinner reservation.

I was staying in a suite, which was a great deal given the cost of other regular rooms in the area. The room had two separate areas, including a living room and bedroom. The bed was comfortable, and I slept great.

I didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but there were several excellent restaurants within walking distance that I would highly recommend. The bar in the hotel was pretty empty during my stay, but that made getting a drink easy while I waited for coworkers.

The only downsides to this hotel were that my bathroom was pretty small, and that all but one of the outlets in the room shut off when you turned off the lights at night, which made charging my electronics a bit of a hassle. Otherwise, this hotel was great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Jackster17
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Went there for a short business trip. Overall experience was very good. The staff is really helpful and they helped us with our conference. Room service was pretty fast and the food was really good. Suggest to explore near-by shopping mall for a nice steak and italian cuisine.

Dear Peter S

Thank you for your review . I am delighted that you loved the hotel with its friendly staff and hope that you will be returning to us before your next Conference at The Crowne Plaza. Rosebank is indeed a beautiful area to explore . Looking forward to your return visit soon.
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed here during a Trade Mission with clients from America. The front of house were brilliant, all the staff were very friendly and helpful and the banqueting team did a superb job. Alwyn was always on hand to help out or offer advice and he really is an asset to the hotel. Our room was very comfortable, although the bathroom was a little bit of a squeeze with 2 people we still had a very comfortable stay. Complimentary bottles of still and sparkling water are given to each room although the staff don't always remember to take them to the room, you can always go downstairs and the staff on duty are happy to help out. Breakfast is an absolute treat! Beautiful setting and scrumptious food. I was obsessed with the lounge area and the circle bar! Anyone who has been there will know what I am talking about with the private seating areas with bead "curtains" all around you!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Lauren S

Thank you for your feed back on tripadvisor after your last stay with us as well as the mention of our Head Concierge Alwyn and the general staff who assisted you and your clients during your stay. I am pleased that your accommodation and the meals met with your needs. I do hope that we will be seeing you through the " Beaded Curtains " in the Circle Bar soon . Kind regards Brandon Adams Front Office Manager
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The hotel was very average. Maybe I was just unlucky, but the room was not as clean as it should have been. A big dirty stain (hopefully a red wine stain...) was on the carpet next to the bed, unacceptable for a hotel like this. The bathroom is tiny and the toilet did not flush well at all. Although the rooms are equipped with airconditioning, the airconditioning in my room did not function well. Even though I put it on cool, it did not cool. The mini bar in the room was empty, with a sign that said you can request it to be filled should you want to. I ended up walking downstairs to find drinks, even though being very tired after a busy working day. In the morning I walked by rooms whose roomservice of the night before stood in the corridor. At the price of around R1500 a night, I am quite sure you should be able to find better accommodation in the vicinity. On the positive side, the breakfast was good and the bed most comfortable.

1 Thank Ann992013
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Ann992013

Thank you for your valuable feed back received .

I must apologize that you stay with us at The Crowne Plaza did not meet with our Excellent standard of service that we pride our selves of . I must please ask if you could please let me have the room number and the date that you stayed in so that i can review this with our housekeeper as well the maintenance manager to see where the shortfall came in .

On the email you could let me have your name so that I can enter on your profile that you would like to have a mini bar in your room on arrival as well as your drinks preference. My team will glad see that this is done.

I have copied Micheal our food and beverage manager in on the issue regarding the Trays that were not removed during the evening on the floors .

Chef Thomas has also been included with your complementary comment about breakfast .

I trust that you will be returning back to The Crowne Plaza soon.

The Crowne Plaza
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 29 April 2014

For 5 years now I have been coming to this Hotel about 4 times,p.a. I like for several reasons. The rooms not very large but ample enough. Clean and comfortable. Breakfast is one of the greatest not too luxurious but befitting a seasonal traveller. They have a restaurant which is just great, for those who don't mind meaty dishes. Very good steaks!

Location is great but near a busy shopping mall - Rosebank Mall and a few minutes away to Sandton. FAirly friendly staff :-)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Kim k
I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us , over the last five years at The Crowne Plaza. I have copied Thomas our chef in your your complementary comment about the breakfast offer . The Butcher Block is indeed one of the finer Steakhouses in Johannesburg and besides that succulent 1KG Fillet steak they too have a fish and chicken selection of dishes on their menu.

The Rosebank Mall is indeed a brilliant charming Shopping Mall and we can't wait for the total renovation to be completed so that you will not have to venture to Sandton City any longer.

We are looking forward to you next Five years at The Crowne Plaza.

The Crowne Plaza
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank
Hyatt Regency Johannesburg
54 on Bath
54 on Bath
#4 of 66 in Johannesburg

Been to Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank? Share your experiences!