“Smart Hotel... Attention to Service is Required....”

Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Lenasia, South Africa
“Smart Hotel... Attention to Service is Required....”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Decided to treat myself for my birthday so used some of my points for a couple of free nights... Checked in late evening. Reception was very friendly and had a good knowledge of the surrounding area. 5 minute walk from Rosebank Mall. The hotel lobby is quite modern and upmarket. The King suite rooms are nice with a lounge. The standard rooms and Twin rooms are fairly small for crown plaza standards. The Club Lounge needs to be refurnished so that more than two families or groups can be accommodated at a time. The room service was the worst I have ever experienced. Called Room service at around midnight and ordered 2 toasted cheese and a milkshake. They didn't know what a milkshake was, would check if they have any. Anyway, 40 mins later, we get 1 toasted cheese and some type of a yoghurt drink. The other sandwich came another 40 mins later. By this time I was just too tired to eat. Check out was speedy and friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
don j, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 26 September 2016
Dear AzTee

Your feedback is much appreciated.
The hotel and it's staff will be ensuring that we turn the feedback into an improved guest experience.

Don Jesseman
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

the host was beyond expectation, the location was good for people travelling by Gautrain, the shops are around the corner if arriving prior to the meeting. the reception area is stunning we especially at night

Room Tip: try the vegetarian snacks
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear WanderingBird
Thank You for your reply to the guest survey . I understand that the we did not have your membership number in the system thus the upgraded benefit was not granted prior to you arrival. I am pleased that we were able to sort out your electrical issue . I do hope that we will be seeing back at The Crowne Plaza soon.
Baghdad, Iraq
Reviewed 3 June 2014

A short walk from Rosebank Mall is the Crowne Plaza, where we went because the Hyatt was full for a conference that we were attending. Don't expect them to instantly offer you an upgrade if you are a Platinum member- you have to ask. The suites were spacious but did not have a bathtub. We also had trouble with charging our phones due to a problem with the electrical outlet but got that quickly sorted. Breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly. Overall we were satisfied with our stay in this walkable location.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the Executives Tower.
1 Thank WanderingBird
Dear WanderingBird

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Don Jesseman
Hotel Manager
Paarl
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed a night over in the hotel for business purposes. The rooms are exceptionally cramped and really not the size of room you would expect for the money you are paying. There is a number of hotels costing far less than this one at more reasonably sized rooms. You can hardly turn around in the bathroom. At the rate they are charging you would also expect the TV to work properly, the picture quality was very poor as if there is a signal problem. The breakfast buffet is very pleasant and the staff very helpful. I personally think the hotel is too expensive for what you will get.

1 Thank Jalder
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Jalder,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Your kind words for the staff is a huge motivation for us and for sure, they will be happy to know about your positive comments. On the other hand, we are very sorry you were not satisfied with the TV reception and overall size of the room. As for the rates, these vary based on the dates and can be competitive in this area. Should your future travel plans bring you back here, we would love to serve you again when you can enjoy all the amenities we have to offer.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our stay at the Crown Plaza Rosebank was great. We only stayed for 1 night as we were attending a function in the area but would have loved to stay longer. Check in was smooth and Tandy was super friendly, informative and very professional. She gave us all the information we required and exceptional service. Thank you Tandy! We booked 4 rooms as we were travelling with 4 adults and 3 kids. The rooms were spacious, comfortable and very modern. Both families had a suite with and an inter-leading standard room for the kids. Beds were comfortable and room amenities were good. We went to the DSTV Food & Music festival at Emmarentia Dam and booked a transfer through the hotel for an additional but reasonable fee. The transfer was on time, the driver very friendly and was familiar with the area. It was definitely worth making use of the hotel transfer as we did not have to worry about parking, traffic and finding our way to or from the venue. The location of the hotel is great and within walking distance to Rosebank Mall & the Zone. A great experience and will definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicky P
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Nicky P
I am delighted that The Crowne Plaza set the tone for your Musical outing on Saturday. Thank you for the wonderful feed back about the transfer staff , the hotel with its shining star Tandy as well as the close location of The Rosebank Mall and zone. I am confidant that we will be seeing you back with us before the next musical event and this time for a full week end visit .
Cairns
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I have stayed here once for work and liked it so much I thought I would stay for holidays. I had 3 nights here. My room was very clean and the bed was very comfy. I found the staff extremely friendly and they gave me lots of travel advise, they can arrange tours for you as we'll. It's close to the Gautrain, about a 5 min walk. Also close to the Mall. I ate at the restaurant and had the best steak, melt in your mouth type....delicious!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Guest_Relations_CPJ, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Jackster17
Thank You for the wonderful review about The Crowne Plaza as well as the Rosebank area. I trust that you will be returning soon to have yet another one of those " melt in your mouth type....delicious!" steaks at the Butcher Block.
Kabul
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I would recommend the Crowne Plaza to a business traveler that is not planning on spending all their time in the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were very friends, efficient, and helpful. Check-in was a breeze. The staff at the travel desk were always there to arrange a taxi, assist me with sightseeing options for the short free periods I had, or make a dinner reservation.

I was staying in a suite, which was a great deal given the cost of other regular rooms in the area. The room had two separate areas, including a living room and bedroom. The bed was comfortable, and I slept great.

I didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but there were several excellent restaurants within walking distance that I would highly recommend. The bar in the hotel was pretty empty during my stay, but that made getting a drink easy while I waited for coworkers.

The only downsides to this hotel were that my bathroom was pretty small, and that all but one of the outlets in the room shut off when you turned off the lights at night, which made charging my electronics a bit of a hassle. Otherwise, this hotel was great.

Dear Jackster17
Head Concierge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank
Hyatt Regency Johannesburg
54 on Bath
54 on Bath
#4 of 66 in Johannesburg

Been to Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank? Share your experiences!