“Crowne Plaza - a fine experience”

Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I went to J'burg on a family holiday trip in Sept 2010 and stayed at Crowne Plaza Rosebank. Its a very good hotel. The stuff was polite and service truly professional. The food, stay and other facilities are very good.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Guest_Relations_2009, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2010

Dear Guest,

Greetings from all of us at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg!

We would like to thank you for your kind feedback on your stay with us and we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed all we have to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Seasons greetings to you and your loved ones over the festive season

Yours sincerely,

Bronwen stead- Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 30 September 2010

It's a shame to give this hotel a poor review, because everything else about it was very good, especially as a business hotel. But the wifi is not only hugely expensive (actually probably the most expensive I've seen) but didn't work properly.

Forget wifi access in your room - though it's meant to work there. The lobby is full of frustrated executives huddled over laptops, silently cursing under their breath, trying to make it work. After 6 hours trying (I had a really important presentation to write) talking to the hotel and the incredibly unhelpful wifi support people, I finally managed to get online via an ethernet cable in my room.

The kind of access is the scam where they sell your a time frame (say 12 hours) and you can be online for that period. IF you log out when you finished using the net. It's not enough to shut your computer, destroy the hard disk and bury the remains - you're still logged on.

But assuming you're savvy to that and do log out, I "lost" at least 4 hours of my 12 hours miraculously and of course, no one will refund you. The wifi supplier blames the hotel and the hotel blames the supplier.

So, if you want an off-grid, internet-free retreat, I can recommend it. But if you're on business and have advanced past the Steam Age, avoid this like the plague.

AlwaysOn if the wifi supplier (spot the irony in the name). So if you do end up needing to stay here, you could check that they've licked them out.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BlingD
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2010

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Rosebank, Johannesburg!

Thank you for your sincere feedback and we regret to hear that you have experienced so many issues with our internet services offered at the hotel. I can assure you that this is not the guest experience we are striving to provide to each and every guest and we will most certainly investigate your comments around internet connectivity and coverage.

Unfortunately, the inconveniences caused by the internet services provided did not allow you to truly enjoy our beautiful facilities and genuine guest service.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2010

Due to the Volcanic ash I had to extend my stay at the hotel. I was advised when I re-checked in that my accommodation would be on a complimentory basis. However upon check-out the folio confirmed I was being charged for the accommodation. I queried this and the hotel would look into this matter and get back to me. Upon returning to the UK I received an email stating that it was not offerred on a comp basis and was basically told I was lying! They then charged my credit card without authourisation from me and without seeing a folio. To this day they have chosen to ignore all my emails. Do not stay here otherwise they will take your money without your authourisation.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank JTapper
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This hotel was in a good location.
It seems like it was recently refurbished.
The service was great, with all that I expected from a hotel of this kind.
I'm rating this hotel with 4 stars because they don't offer free internet. which I think is a must now a days in a business oriented hotel like this.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank YupiYey
Hotel_Management2010, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Dear Guest,

First of all, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank. Your kind words are very much appreciated and I can assure you I will convey them to the rest of our team.

Our main aim is to consistently meet guest expectations and provide them with the best possible products and services at all times. Therefore it is great to hear that you had a positive experience when staying with us during your visit to Johannesburg.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer free internet services at our hotel. Due to the high cost of internet coverage in South Africa and the limited bandwith available, we would not be able to provide you with free and / or unlimited internet access. The Crowne Plaza brand and many other similar hotels in the world therefore do not offer free internet access as they would not be able to guarantee a high quality user experience for their business and leisure guests.

We sincerely hope you understand our stance on this matter.

Reviewed 23 June 2010

Hotel has recently been redone and is pretty nice, great lobby area. we paid a fortune during world cup for basic style rooms but were pleased with the rooms as all hotels were gouging in JNB during world cup.
We had 4 rooms as we flew in family for our big game so we saw a total of 6 rooms over 2 stays the best room by far was the deluxe room in the newer tower. beds are hard and most of the rooms dont have room for a kids cot ( and non were offered ) breakfast buffet was great and plentifull. bar in lobby area was okay but quite... Tv was limited channel selection and no kids channels... Best thing about the hotel is the location as its in a safe area and within easy walking distance to a mall and restaurants... Butcher block restaurant downstairs is a great bargain and first class... steaks were to die for...
Manager and staff of the hotel was very personable and despite being so busy went overboard in effort to fix minor issues and make sure we were happy. Oh Internet was a complete ripoff and yes S africa internet is expensive but crown plaza goes beyond ridiculous.... Rent an internet stick at JNB airport or bring your own stick and get a sim card.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for using the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank while staying in Johannesburg during the World Cup 2010!

Its great to hear that we have been able to succesfully host you and your family during this exciting period for South Africa and world football. I will pass on your kind words to all of our team members involved.

We regret to hear that you were not satisfied with the pricing of our internet services which we will take into consideration during our monthly management review.

At this stage internet coverage in South Africa comes at a high cost and only limited bandwith is made available. Most hotels in South Africa are unable to provide internet access at a lower cost while maintaining the same quality and speed and offer you a high quality user experience. We sincerely hope you understand our stance on this matter.

Again, thank you for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. I will pass on your kind words to all of our team members involved.

Reviewed 22 June 2010

The first time I stayed at this hotel, it seemed to be a modern and nice place, with staff out to please you. However, on my second visit, I realised that the first was just an aberration to ensure that they get some good business from our group of almost 450 travelers.

I was traveling with a large group of my clients to Johannesburg, and the Crowne Plaza turned out to be a huge waste of money. Basic amenities such as electricity and water were not available - and the worst part was that the hotel was not able to sort this out!

On the first night that I reached, there seemed to have been some electrical fault which left the entire passage outside my room and almost my entire room in darkness. To top it off, the air-con was also not working. I complained to the reception and they ensured that somebody would take care of it. I headed out for a meeting with some colleagues and once I got back the situation had not changed.

When I contacted the reception again, the reply was that there was no one available to check this out since it was quite late.... I actually had to sleep without air-con - and had to open the window slightly to let in some cool air.

Some of my colleagues didn't have water in their showers - for two days in a row. The service attitude of the staff here was equally bad.

Even now (5 months after my stay), the hotel has not had the courtesy of replying to my complaint, let alone offering some compensation.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide us with your feedback on your stay sometime ago at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg. I can assure you that your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to consistently improve our product and service standards.

We would like to offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay. Your feedback around the power supply issues is certainly not reflective of the levels of service and product standards we strive to offer to every single guest of our hotel.

Unfortunately, due to major construction work on the new Gautrain transport system in the Rosebank area, we have experienced a series of power interruptions and ohter hinderance in the past. Fortunately, the construction is about to be completed and will offer easy and safe access to the Rosebank area for all our future guests.

At your service-

Reviewed 2 May 2010

i was charged additional ZAR 5,323 on top of ZAR 3,180 i paid for my 2 nights stay in this hotel. lucky i read my credit card statement and i called the hotel (7 times already) and refer to this matter, i received so many kind of promises but still now, am wonder how i was charged additional ZAR 5,323 and the amount was charged to me for no apparent reason.

everybody in this hotel - the front desk, accountant or floor manager seems to care.

i used to brag about how wonderful this place called south africa to my friends after my several visits to this beautiful country but now, i prefer to shut up!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Hotel_Management2010, Manager at Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback provided on your stay at the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg.

As per our communication via email and IHG webgure in the past few weeks, the matter has already been addressed and the root cause identified.

The reference you made to the charge of ZAR5323 on one of your credit cards during stay with us turned out not to be an actual charge but an authorisation. As the payment of your room was performed by using another credit card, the automatic cancellation of the authorisation never took place. Our front desk staff should have manually cancelled authorisation on the one card and process payment on the other. Our sincere apologies for the confusion and for not following our standard procedure at this occasion.

As you have already been informed in the month of May, the manual cancellation of the authorisation has been performed and is already cleared after a 14 day processing period from the credit card company's side.

Your feedback and concerns are much appreciated. I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to be of service to you again and welcoming you to South Africa and the Crowne Plaza Johannesburg again soon.