“Comfortable sleep-over for business trip”
Review of Ashdown House

Ashdown House
Ranked #44 of 301 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Although I only stayed for one night and didn't have an opportunity to enjoy any of the other facilities - I was very impressed with the service and everything Ashdown House has to offer.
It was great to use the Internet access from my room. Breakfast was good too :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Ashd0wn, Manager at Ashdown House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Michelle
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. I will be sure to tell all the staff about how they made your stay at AshDown House more enjoyable. I’m glad the complimentary Wi-Fi worked well for you. Hopefully next time you will be back to stay longer and thus get the chance to fully enjoy AshDown House and all its extra amenities.

The AshDown House Team

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We loved our two nights at Ashdown House, at the end of a family holiday. The rooms were very comfortable, service excellent, and the breakfasts were really good. We will be returning when we are next in Johannesburg! We would definitely recommend Ashdown House.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Mike

Thank you for writing such a great review for AshDown House. It was wonderful to finally meet you and your family. Thanks for all the lovely comments about AshDown House. I’m glad it gave your holiday a good closure. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Jo’burg!

The AshDown House team

Reviewed 8 July 2013

The Ashdown House guesthouse was a great place to stay, very nice and peaceful stay. The staff were all very polite and helpful, breakfast was great and generally couldn't have asked for more. Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 9, was a great suite
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear HammyK

We really appreciate you taking the time to write a review about AshDown House –thank you for the wonderful comments! At AshDown we always try to go the extra mile for our guests. We’re very pleased to know that you especially loved our breakfast buffet. Take care, and hopefully we see you again soon!

The AshDown House Team

Reviewed 24 June 2013

My husband and I were bought a night's stay at Ashdown House as a wedding gift. Although we are from Joburg, it was a nice little getaway as it didn't feel like we were in Joburg, and let us catch up on some much needed R&R. The rooms were nicely set out and very comfortable. Dinner and breakfast were both amazing and of course we ate too much. The whole place is designed to create an experience, which it 100% achieves. Chantal, the Manager was very friendly and very accommodating and made us feel very at home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashd0wn, Manager at Ashdown House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Dear Vivien

Thank you so much for your great review and giving us a 10 out of 10 rating! It was lovely meeting you and Marco –congratulations on your marriage! I hope AshDown House made it a lovely getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city. I’m very glad that you enjoyed all your meals! It was my pleasure hosting you over the weekend. Take care, and hopefully we will see you two again soon.

AshDown House Team

Reviewed 20 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at Ashdown House on the 18th of May 2013 as this was our first wedding anniversary.

I requested flowers upon our arrival which to my surprise Ashdown said would be complimentary but upon arriving found so much more than that. We were treated to various things like fresh strawberries, complimentary sherry and even a bottle of champagne.

Jason who was working at the front desk went above and beyond my every request and his friendly service is definitely a reason for me to return again. We were very thankful for his great service.

We loved the decor of Ashdown and Jason informed us it is the owner that has such good taste, it really made us forget that we were still in Johannesburg but rather felt like something in the country side which was great. The rooms are really beautifully decorated and our room was nice and warm as they had put on the heater before we even arrived to ensure we are comfortable inside our room whilst it was a chilly day outside.

The bathroom was also very spacious, my wife took a very long relaxing bath while I enjoyed a good long shower as the shower is just as big.

The breakfast was also really great with a really good variety of food and we also ordered food from their hot menu which was equally as good. We loved that they had various different fruits and even a few different cheeses which we ate with crackers.

We will not only recommend Ashdown to anyone looking for a place to stay in Johannesburg but because of the great value at such a good price and especially for the great service, we ourselves will definitely be back.

I would rate our stay at Ashdown as a 6 star experience at 3 star rates and I will gladly recommend anyone to stay there.

Room Tip: We stayed in an executive suite on the second floor which had a very nice view over the swimming poo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for this amazing review. “6 Star experience at 3 star rates”, we loved that comment, a huge compliment. The staff at Ashdown House are walking around like proud peacocks! It was our pleasure to treat you to complimentary flowers and champagne – just one of the services we offer for honeymooners and special occasions. We really appreciate your comments and the fact that you have noticed all the small things that we do to ensure a perfect stay at AshDown House. Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary and we look forward to your return.
Warmest regards
The Ashdown Team

Reviewed 16 May 2013

I must qualify that I really dont enjoy guesthouses, there is always something missing in my view so I wanted to contextualise my response, this place is really good and it ticks all the boxes, good breakfast, good rooms facing the pool, friendly staff (except for the breakfast waiter, he doesnt seem to know how to smile) but really a nice place. I didn't like the tiling in the rooms, it gave me a feeling of an outdoor tiling space so for me it is a misfit with the image of the room with the kind of feel with furniture that has been chosen, which is classy and elegant. There are all the little things like a bar fridge, a coffee plunger, gown and slippers. Even the choice of the silver is really classy. The bathtub in my room looks a bit shorter than usual, which was bizarre, but it functioned. Otherwise a good place, a bit further than I would have liked from RIvonia Road, but it worked. The free wifi is a bonus.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Hi liyabee
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of Ashdown House. We are delighted that we tick all the boxes for you! We strive daily to ensure that the smallest detail gets attention and love it when guests notice, so thank you. Hopefully we have helped to convert you to guest house accommodation and we look forward to seeing you again.
Warm regards
The Ashdown Team

Reviewed 11 May 2013

through a recommendation I found the Ashdown House and surely will return. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are lovely, the design awesome, breakfast very elaborate. A super place to regenerate. Ann-Christin

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Ashd0wn, Manager at Ashdown House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Ann-Christin

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of AshDown House. We are glad to see you enjoyed your stay with us. You have given us such wonderful comments! We look forward to having you back again with us soon.

From