“Lovely Stay”

Ranked #40 of 295 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Columbia, South Carolina
“Lovely Stay”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Ashdown was a great final stop before heading back to the states. The property is full of character with garden views, patio seating, fruit trees, outdoor lounge with bar, TV, fire pit. The rooms are just the right size & very clean. Breakfast is AMAZING. Must try the french toast & fired bananas. We used their guide to visit the Apartheid Museum & Soweto which you can drive yourself you have a car. The guide is not necessary & we were rushed & didn't finish the entire museum. The only negative to Ashdown is the internet. Connection is only strong outside near the rear of the property. The staff restarted the internet & it still didn't work properly. There was never a resolution. Other than that I highly suggest Ashdown.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, beds a little stiff.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Briana M
Hi Briana M
We are so pleased that you chose Ashdown House as your final stop before returning home! You spent such a short time with us yet you managed to enjoy and notice most of what Ashdown House has to offer. Our apologies for the bad internet connection, something that we are addressing as a matter of urgency. Hopefully you will be back one day and get to spend a bit more time exploring all Johannesburg has to offer!

The Ashdown House Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Okay, this is a 4.5 for me but since trip advisor won’t let me put that, I’m rounding off to 4 (not 5, because I do have some suggestions)

My wife and my one year old son stayed in Ashdown place for 2 months while we relocated to Johannesburg recently and I have to begin by saying nothing is too much for Glenys and her team.

She runs a tight ship and while it may seem a little extreme in the beginning (some of the staff is positively terrified of her), but you soon begin to realize that it is this rigorous regime of discipline that results in the consistency that a guest experiences in Ashdown House.

Bear in mind, that this isn’t designed to be a child friendly guest house (mostly corporate guests), but the staff would do everything possible to make it comfortable. They put a microwave, an additional fridge and removed some of the furniture to give us more space. During the stay, when they realized that my child was unwell and was sleeping with his mom, they put an extra bed in my room for no additional charge. Brilliance! As a sendoff, Glenys personally cooked us the most awesome Biryani dinner, which my wife described as the best she has had outside of Hyderabad.

A big shout out to Nicolene, Nadya, Jan, Gertrude and every other member of the staff who made us so comfortable. My wife actually got a little emotional while leaving.

Of course, in all fairness, I also have a few suggestions to make. This is coming from staying in Ashdown for 2 months and would probably affect people in long stays more.

1) The parking space needs to be covered. The amount of bird poo and dry leaves that fall on your vehicle make for a ‘crappy’ situation.
2) In the suites, a sliding door between the bed and sitting area would help immensely in making the space more private when needed. Would have been great with the kid.
3) In the winters, the swimming pool can be covered. I didn’t see one guest use it in the 2 months I was there.
4) The electric sensor on the 1st gate doesn’t work properly. It resulted in my rental car being damaged while exiting one day. Cost me 3200 Rand in excess for insurance, without it being my fault. I didn’t ask the B&B to pay for it since they were just so nice. Any other place, I would have made a big tantrum.
5) The wi-fi in room no. 8 just doesnt work. Had to sit out in the cold many evenings to skype with my family back home

All the above may seem like they are negatives, but the way I see it - these are minor quick fixes.

All said and done, it's a great place with very friendly folks. I would recommend it to everyone I know. My congratulations to Glenys for maintaining such stellar standards.

Room Tip: There are spots with zero wi-fi signal. Check the signal in your room and request for another if you...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi Cheemra

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to review Ashdown House and secondly, it was really wonderful meeting you and getting to know you all! We really hope that you have settled into your new home and enjoying life in South Africa. We miss having you around! Thank you for the constructive criticisms and all points will be looked at and actioned/changed where possible. Maintaining the “stellar standards” at Ashdown House would not be possible without my staff. They are the backbone of Ashdown House and strive daily to ensure a stay of unequalled standards of cleanliness and service. It was our pleasure to serve you and your lovely wife & son!

Warmest regards

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We checked in to this absurdly photogenic B&B after our wildlife week at Kruger. Nicolene made us feel comfortable right away with her warm smile, refreshingly delicious welcome drinks and a room upgrade (yay!). When evening fell, Nicolene had organised a romantic candlelight dinner for two among the art-filled walls of Ashdown's dining area. Although we did request a dinner arrangement prior to our arrival, the romance, gastronomy and privacy was all the magic work of Nicolene. We returned to our sumptuously sexy bedroom to retire for the night. I sank into the elegant clawfoot tub in an effort to soothe my sunburnt skin (one should not underestimate the strength and power of the African sun) and fell asleep on the most comfortable bed known to man. Ashdown is perfect for those romantic rendezvous, cheeky weekends and of course, a well-deserved rest.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Wow! Thank you so much – your review says it all and encompasses how the staff strive daily to make each guests stay special. It was Nicolene’s absolute pleasure to offer you the complimentary upgrade and organise your romantic dinner. Hopefully you will be back one day.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ashdown House for one evening prior to a late night flight the next day. Ashdown House was in a quiet neighborhood and the staff was more than accommodating. We enjoyed our welcome drinks upon arrival. Ashdown House uses a very reliable taxi driver named Prince for its guests. he assisted us in planning our one day sightseeing trip around Johannesburg prior to leaving. He picked us up after a delicious breakfast and then took us to the airport after we'd showered, checked out, and collected our belongings. We were very grateful that we were allowed to store our belongings during the day and freshen up before our flight. The staff and management were wonderful and I was even able to snag a couple of great last minute gifts for friends and family from their bar--delicious mini bottles of South African wine

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Our motto at Ashdown House is “With Pleasure”! We strive to go above and beyond the call of service excellence. It was our pleasure to allow you to shower and freshen up before your long flight. Thank you for complimenting Prince – he is extremely helpful and very caring. I am sure your family and friends thoroughly enjoyed our delicious South African wines.
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Very nice place, nice breakfast. Luxurious and cosy. Would definitely go back.I had a balcony room with table, there were fruits and welcome drink, I enjoyed the big bath. Very nice. The parking is a bit crampy if you're the last one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Ashdown House. We really appreciate every review. We love hearing the words “Would definitely go back”! It lets us know we are doing it right most of the time. The parking is normally not that problematic – at times there might be a couple who both have a car and then the parking would be a bit “crampy” and there are times when a guest might not park very well! We have now re painted the lines so hopefully guests won’t park over two parkings and so hopefully alleviate the problem. Looking forward to seeing you again soon !
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I travel through Johannesburg regularly, and when I discovered Ashdown House the trips took on a new air of ease. Knowing that upon arrival I would find my home away from home, forever warm and welcoming, I fall in love with the place every time I stay (which these days is weekly)! The rooms are perfect in every way (my personal favorite is room 5) and the garden is a haven of tranquility. For the active among us, you can jog around the neighborhood, and the breakfasts are the perfect way to start a morning. By far the best bed and breakfast morning meal I've ever had! Oh, and I love the fact that each room has a french press!

Thank you again and again and again for having me, I truly have not a bad word to say.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Hi Jenirens
We love that we are your “home away from home”. We love that you find every room perfect, warm, welcoming and that you fall more in love with Ashdown House every time you stay. We love your review and it is a great pleasure having you again and again!
We love having you!
Warmest regards
The Ashdown Team
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Very first time in Johburg, I relied on past travellers to find the place to have a good rest, and additionnally, a nice place to stay. This was all granted by the Ashdown.
From the arrival, you feel at ease in the guest house, the atmosphear is very relaxing, the rooms are quite clean and comfortable.
In my mind, this is unbeatable price-quality guest house in town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Hi JackMullway

We are really pleased that past travellers pointed you in the direction of Ashdown House and that we lived up to your expectations. We constantly strive to ensure our guests have a relaxing and peaceful stay at Ashdown House which includes all our value added services. This was your first time in Johannesburg, but hopefully it won’t be your last! We look forward to seeing you again one day.
The Ashdown Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
The Syrene Boutique Hotel
A Peaceful Retreat Bed & Breakfast
Tiree B&B
Tiree B&B
#1 of 15 in Bryanston

Been to Ashdown House? Share your experiences!