“Overnight visit to Joburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ashdown House

Ashdown House
Ranked #37 of 289 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Overnight visit to Joburg”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

What a lovely guest house with loads of special thoughtful touches. From the fluffy gown and slippers in the room, to the complimentary sherry, and even plunger coffee in the room! I was upgraded to a luxury room - thank you Nicolene (Lovely manageress)! The heating panels were on when i arrived, it was so inviting. I felt like it was a real treat for my quick visit to Joburg for a friend's party. I was so comfortable, the room was divine. The bathroom was luxurious. Wonderful wifi. The breakfast was delicious, with so many options from which to choose. Beautiful garden, and lapa area to relax in, and even a pool for a summer swim! The security is excellent. Less than 30 minutes from OR Tambo. I look forward to staying at Ashdown House again, and will recommend it to all. The great reviews on Trip Advisor were what lead me to choose this spot over others, and I wasn't disappointed. Much better than staying in a soul-less hotel I thought, and pretty much the same price.

Room Tip: All rooms look good to me. I was in Room 6 upstairs overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I've been using Ashdown for 3 years now and have called it home away from home for almost over 120 bed nights and 120 and many more to come. Friendly, warm, inviting, refreshing, private and safe. Thanks!

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms are the best, I think only 2 rooms don't face the pool anyway, but all rooms a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Ancodottv
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our first stop in South Africa. Absolutely lovely accommodation. Staff was great - offered help with everything. Grounds are stunning. Food was outstanding. Arranged an excellent driver for us. Would definitely recommend and return to.

Room Tip: They all appeared to be good
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Absolutely wonderful. LOVELY food and very friendly staff! They were extremely accomodating and helpful. They were in close contact with our driver and ensured that we were on time everyday. AGAIN...food was amazing. Will come back anyday!

Room Tip: THe suites are amazing!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Santa Cruz, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Beautiful setting, excellent food, friendly staff! This is in a wealthier suburb, so you'll need a car or ride of some kind. Beds are definitely on the firm side and water pressure is a little low, but those are minor issues compared with the advantages.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Ashdown was a great final stop before heading back to the states. The property is full of character with garden views, patio seating, fruit trees, outdoor lounge with bar, TV, fire pit. The rooms are just the right size & very clean. Breakfast is AMAZING. Must try the french toast & fired bananas. We used their guide to visit the Apartheid Museum & Soweto which you can drive yourself you have a car. The guide is not necessary & we were rushed & didn't finish the entire museum. The only negative to Ashdown is the internet. Connection is only strong outside near the rear of the property. The staff restarted the internet & it still didn't work properly. There was never a resolution. Other than that I highly suggest Ashdown.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, beds a little stiff.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Briana M
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Hi Briana M
We are so pleased that you chose Ashdown House as your final stop before returning home! You spent such a short time with us yet you managed to enjoy and notice most of what Ashdown House has to offer. Our apologies for the bad internet connection, something that we are addressing as a matter of urgency. Hopefully you will be back one day and get to spend a bit more time exploring all Johannesburg has to offer!

Warm regards
The Ashdown House Team
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Okay, this is a 4.5 for me but since trip advisor won’t let me put that, I’m rounding off to 4 (not 5, because I do have some suggestions)

My wife and my one year old son stayed in Ashdown place for 2 months while we relocated to Johannesburg recently and I have to begin by saying nothing is too much for Glenys and her team.

She runs a tight ship and while it may seem a little extreme in the beginning (some of the staff is positively terrified of her), but you soon begin to realize that it is this rigorous regime of discipline that results in the consistency that a guest experiences in Ashdown House.

Bear in mind, that this isn’t designed to be a child friendly guest house (mostly corporate guests), but the staff would do everything possible to make it comfortable. They put a microwave, an additional fridge and removed some of the furniture to give us more space. During the stay, when they realized that my child was unwell and was sleeping with his mom, they put an extra bed in my room for no additional charge. Brilliance! As a sendoff, Glenys personally cooked us the most awesome Biryani dinner, which my wife described as the best she has had outside of Hyderabad.

A big shout out to Nicolene, Nadya, Jan, Gertrude and every other member of the staff who made us so comfortable. My wife actually got a little emotional while leaving.

Of course, in all fairness, I also have a few suggestions to make. This is coming from staying in Ashdown for 2 months and would probably affect people in long stays more.

1) The parking space needs to be covered. The amount of bird poo and dry leaves that fall on your vehicle make for a ‘crappy’ situation.
2) In the suites, a sliding door between the bed and sitting area would help immensely in making the space more private when needed. Would have been great with the kid.
3) In the winters, the swimming pool can be covered. I didn’t see one guest use it in the 2 months I was there.
4) The electric sensor on the 1st gate doesn’t work properly. It resulted in my rental car being damaged while exiting one day. Cost me 3200 Rand in excess for insurance, without it being my fault. I didn’t ask the B&B to pay for it since they were just so nice. Any other place, I would have made a big tantrum.
5) The wi-fi in room no. 8 just doesnt work. Had to sit out in the cold many evenings to skype with my family back home

All the above may seem like they are negatives, but the way I see it - these are minor quick fixes.

All said and done, it's a great place with very friendly folks. I would recommend it to everyone I know. My congratulations to Glenys for maintaining such stellar standards.

Room Tip: There are spots with zero wi-fi signal. Check the signal in your room and request for another if you...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ashd0wn, Owner at Ashdown House, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Hi Cheemra

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to review Ashdown House and secondly, it was really wonderful meeting you and getting to know you all! We really hope that you have settled into your new home and enjoying life in South Africa. We miss having you around! Thank you for the constructive criticisms and all points will be looked at and actioned/changed where possible. Maintaining the “stellar standards” at Ashdown House would not be possible without my staff. They are the backbone of Ashdown House and strive daily to ensure a stay of unequalled standards of cleanliness and service. It was our pleasure to serve you and your lovely wife & son!

Warmest regards

The Ashdown House Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Annabel's of Bryanston
Radiance Guest Lodge and Conference Center
Dunton Guest House
Dunton Guest House
#1 of 11 in Rivonia

Been to Ashdown House? Share your experiences!