“Tranquility, charm, natural beauty and amazing team”

5th Avenue Gooseberry
Ranked #66 of 297 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Tranquility, charm, natural beauty and amazing team”
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I have been living and working outside of South Africa for the last 15 years . My work and private life require frequent travel to many countries and I stay in different hotels / guesthouses / spas in Europe , Asia , America and Australasia .

When visiting Johannesburg over the last 8 years I have frequently stayed at the Goossberry. The personal attention and warmth of Susan & Anna, plus other team members is unique and welcome. It stands apart from the impersonal service in many other establishments .The tranquil ambience, good food, beautiful garden, plus decor of rooms and house are a balm for the soul in a busy city. Do not miss the opportunity to experience a unique and warm stay in a busy city .

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden are quiter
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Bloemfontein, South Africa
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Johannesburg is a big city that can easily become unpersonal. But when I arrived ath this guesthouse, I immediately realized that I would be received with open arms.
The 'Angels’ welcomed us very warmly & there was even a smart sign with my name on, welcoming me.
Every morning, after I returned from radio & TV interviews, there was fresh fruit & sweets available for me to eat.

This guest house gives off a fealing of unspoilt nature & there's a quietness that can't be disturbed. I even got a chance to meet the lovely Susan Berry - the guest house's owner.

I will definitely come back again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Witbank
Reviewed 26 September 2011

If you are looking for a peaceful and warm stay, surronded by the magic that an artist can infuse from the decoration of the gueshouse to the food, 5th Avenue Gooseberry guest house is a place you will enjoy!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Thank you Susan and the angles (Anna, Esther and Mathope) for a warm and welcomed stay, a beautiful room and a splendid breakfast each day of my stay.

The atmosphere, fire place and music makes this a safe haven to retreat to in the hustle and bustle of Johannesburg.

Room Tip: The corner bath in Room 7 is a treat!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I have spent 2 nights at 5th Avenue Gooseberry and enjoyed the quite and peaceful surroundings although a stone throw away from the hussle and bussle of Johannesburg and Cresta. 5th Ave Gooseberry was just what I was looking for. Nice and clean rooms with all the extra touches - sherry in the room and homebaked cookies. The staff was helpful and friendly although a bit noisy by times. A yummy breakfast was served in the diningroom. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this affordable guesthouse.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
bluecatGauteng, Owner at 5th Avenue Gooseberry, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
Many thanks for your response and feedback. Our aim is to offer our guests a quiet, homely and peaceful atmosphere. We will bring it again to our staff's attention - (especially the quiet). I think they were so excited to see you again!. See you soon!
Potchefstroom
Reviewed 18 July 2011

In all my travels have I never experienced a place where such attention was paid to personal comfort. Gooseberry is beautiful in a warm, creative and artistic sense and staying there feels like a holiday in a friendly manor house.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have great views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Queenstown, South Africa
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I came up with my mom to watch Kylie Minogue on 9th July and this was the only place that came to mind! I stayed here on February when I came up with a friend to watch U2.I absolutely love the accommodation and the owner Susan is wonderful and the staff make you feel so at home and the breakfast is top class!!! It was my birthday on the 30th June and when we got into the room on the 9th July, the staff had put a note wishing me happy birthday and Ferrero Rocher chocolates on my bed!!! Those special touches are the best! I would recommend this guest house to anyone looking for homely and truly comfortable accommodation. Of course, all of Susan's art work is truly a pleasure to look at! Thankyou for a lovely stay and see you soon!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
bluecatGauteng, Owner at 5th Avenue Gooseberry, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear guest , Many thanks for this beautiful review and taking the time to write it. Hope to see you soon! Susan Berry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Hyatt Regency Johannesburg
#4 of 66 in Johannesburg
The Residence Boutique Hotel
The Residence Boutique Hotel
#1 of 66 in Johannesburg

Been to 5th Avenue Gooseberry? Share your experiences!