“Thoroughly enjoyable stay”

Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Polokwane, South Africa
“Thoroughly enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 26 December 2011

My husband and I spent one night at this hotel and wish we had stayed here longer. The rooms are quirky, and the open plan design suited us perfectly. The hotel is more hip than we are used to, but the atmosphere was great. The receptionist on check in really made us smile, and escorted us to our room when we got lost.

The milk shake bar wasn't anything to write home about, but sitting in the fashionable lounge was enough for us. This is a hotel that we will be coming back to!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Dear Ms_Sadien

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor after your recent visit at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch.

We were most pleased to hear that the atmosphere is great and that you enjoyed your stay with us. Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently, therefor I would like to thank you for your kind words.

It was our pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to its best.

The Fire & Ice! TEAM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This is a 4 Star Hotel.

The concept for this hotel is very nice. I would tweak a few thing like PRIVATE bathrooms. But, I love the concept and the hotel is beautiful.

This hotel is situated in a very good location. It is surrounded by many high end stores and a Woolworth store within walking distance.

From the moment we arrived, the front desk staff was extremely pleasant and friendly. The room was very nice. We ordered room service on our first night but we didn't receive our order for approximately a hour and a half. But, they were very sorry so it was no big deal.

The decor of the hotel is very beautiful. My only negative was the shower being in the room. My bed was next to the shower. That fact provided fodder for many jokes LOL.

A big plus for this hotel was the available plug, in the room, for US electronics.

Overall, we had a very good stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Mangoes112006

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with an in depth outline as to what transpired during your recent stay with us.

We at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch thrive on receiving GUEST feedback, as it is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. We would also like to apologise for the delayed room service delivery and I can confirm that your concern has been addressed and that corrective action is being taken to rectify the shortcomings.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back.

Luanda, Angola
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Nice and stylish hotel. Good location with a variety of key stores just around the corner (at walking distance). Good decoration within the rooms.
Staff at the restaurant are friendly and very helpful, but the rest of the staff seems a bit slow.
Disappointed with the cleanliness part, as in my 3 days stay I had 2 observation, being 1) in one of the days my room was not clean until around 1PM and 2) in my last night I realized that the bed sheets that they changed in my bed was used and not clean...
Internet is complementary and the speed is good.

• Stayed November 2011
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 22 December 2011
Dear Helder K

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently.

We would just like to express our gratitude that you took the time to convey your constructive criticism, as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS’ experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve our services.

We look forward to welcoming you back so that we can prove to you that we are very proud and passionate of both our service and product.

Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I think at this point it's important to give you background about why I am such a firm and passionate fan of the Protea Hotels Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch: About 6 months ago I hosted my first event at this Hollywood style hotel for one of my clients - Yogi Sip. This was the start of a very pleasant – and fruitful relationship with one of the most professional and service orientated hotels I possibly know about.

So when the Protea Hotels Head Office contact me to inform me that I am the new ambassador for their Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch – I had all the reason in the world to celebrate with an adult milkshake or two!

I also found it fit to stay at the hotel during a recent visit by my mom – a girls weekend away of note.

Now, at this point, I'd already frequented the hotel but my mom had never seen it since she lives in Bloemfontein. She was highly impressed by the friendly staff at reception and even more so when we were greeted and welcomed by the owner of the hotel Anton Gillis upon arrival!

Up on the fifth floor, I discovered an incredible view from our room – facing the lovely pool area of the hotel. It was literally a view to die for!

The rooms are inviting and spacious, with twin beds and an open plan en-suite bathroom.
When it comes to design, you cannot help but notice the old school Hollywood theme throughout the hotel. From the hotel wallpaper, to the furniture to the décor in the restaurant and upstairs bar area – it’s all shouting fame and fortune.

Whether we were staying in or stepping out, the Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch offered a wide array of amenities and services. Each provided to help transform our stay into something truly extraordinary.

The Business Centre on the 1st floor at Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch provides guests with access to all the latest office technology, including my personal favorite the 150mb Free Wi-Fi to all guests every day.

The upstairs bar and pool lounge area is famous for their upbeat music, combined with intimately-spaced lounge chairs and daybeds. This area creates a communal atmosphere and is a magnetic social scene featuring original hotel-inspired cocktails. Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch is also home to the best Adult Milkshakes in the country – definitely a must have!

The hotel is in a great location as well - very accessible to restaurants and shopping in Melrose Arch – which left us with very little driving the weekend.

Our entire stay was a great experience from the moment we arrived we were given a warm and helpful welcome.

This hotel is and will always be my number 1 choice of hotels in Johannesburg and possibly on my top 5 lists in international hotels I have stayed at before.

A warm thanks to the entire Protea Hotel group for the experience, but mostly a special thanks to Anton Gillis and his wonderful team

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Allegra C
Dear Allegra C

Thank you for your words of appreciation posted on Trip Advisor. We welcome the fact that you have taken the time to provide the hotel with a detailed overview as to what transpired during your stay. We were ecstatic to receive your compliments and without doubt, we have commended the STAFF for their exemplary service

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations, therefore your comments are much appreciated and truly invaluable to us.
It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to welcoming you back so that you can enjoy our hospitality to it’s best.
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Sandwiches in the cafe- they are supposed to have something between the slices. Towels by the pool - asked but no response so I dripped back to my room through the lobby. How to get to airport - bus, taxi or metro - nice smiley staff but didn't have a clue. Please just train the staff a bit, and I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Dear Happy Dell,

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the disappointment you experienced due to the poor dining experience and shortfall in our service levels. We would like to assure you that this is not our normal standard. All GUESTS are very important to us and everything possible is done by our hotel TEAM to ensure that our GUESTS feel as special and valued as they are.

We, at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, value your patronage and we assure you that your experience in no way represents the standard we're constantly striving to achieve therefore assisting us in continually improving our standards.
We are as committed as ever to providing each GUEST with a most memorable and magnificent Protea Hotels service experience
Should you grant us the privilege; we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Best regards,
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Reviewed 16 November 2011

This hotel is very stylish in the decor. I had to use the travel desk and hotel desk frequently during my stay. The travel desk staff were very rude and acted like I was bothering them each time I asked for help. I was rarely greeted in a friendly manner by the hotel check-in. I am not usually one to write complaints, but I filled out one of the feedback cards available at the hotel. The staff did address the issue and hopefully it will be better for future visitors. Great shopping and restaurants in the area. Housekeeping and restaurant staff were very friendly. Breakfast is not free even if they tell you it is.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
ProteaNtswaki, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Dear CP57,

Thank you for posting your response on Trip Advisor. We would like to apologise most sincerely for the frustrations and inconvenience we caused to you. We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with a detailed overview as to what transpired during your stay. This allows us a proper inside view as to how our STAFF are interacting with our GUESTS and dealing with any problems or situations as they arise. This also enables us to correct any problematic behaviour.

Please be assured that we take your concerns very seriously and we will ensure that we get to the root of the occurrences and ensure that they are addressed and rectified. We are truly most displeased that you had such an unpleasant stay with us as a result of our unprofessionalism.

We do value your patronage and we are sincerely sorry that you experienced such an unpleasant stay.

We trust that you will allow us a future occasion to host you and prove to you that we are very proud and passionate of both our service and product.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 11 November 2011

This hotel is pure style and glamour on the inside - nothing spectacular from the outside - more like a block of concrete.
The rooms are a good size but the shower is not seperated from the room - not very private.
You can seperate the bathroom from the room by a curtain that looks like a cheap shower curtain - come on guys - really?
Although the toilet is seperate - it is certainly NOT sound proof - you need to be quite intimate with the person you are sharing the room with.
Love the bar area and there is a DJ that plays great music till 22:30.
This was fine for us as we enjoy a party - not sure how exhausted guests would feel about this.
Parking costs R50 overnight.
There is no minibar in the rooms, but they offer 24 hour room service.
Must Have: One of their DELICIOUS milkshakes at the bar area.
Oh yes - the pool is nice and big.
Another Tip - Book the hotel through Kulula Holiday Packages - better rates when buying with flights & car hire included in a package.

Room Tip: Away from Pool area - could be noisy.