Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Sacramento CA
“Loved the energy”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

We arrived in Johannesburg after two brutal overnight flights with a long lay-over at Heathrow in between. We were so glad to get to the hotel (about noon) only to find that there was no possibility of checking in until after two. The hotel was booked by our tour company and I would have thought that since it books a lot of rooms it could have gotten us early occupancy. So I am not sure whether to blame the hotel or tour company. After we finally got registered the hotel exceeded our expectations. The room was nice, staff friendly, breakfast great and we loved the Melrose Arch area. We felt very comfortable walking in the area at night (it was Fashion Week and the whole place buzzed with activity) and loved it when the doorman welcomed us back and seemed genuinely interested in our evening.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KatyDe
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear KatyDe

An efficient check in is vital as we understand that one can be tired after travelling long distances and would like to freshen up. We would love to make your next stay more comfortable and we suggest that you guarantee an early check in. Please feel free to highlight this upon your next reservation and we will gladly accommodate your request.

The Melrose Arch Precinct is certainly a great location and perfect for our GUESTS as it offers a wide variety of shops and restaurants to choose from. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the buzz during fashion week.

My TEAM is as committed as ever to provide each GUEST with a most memorable and magnificent Protea Hotels’ service experience; therefore we cannot thank you enough for taking the time to comment on your stay.

You have provided us with fantastic feedback and we look forward to hosting you again.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We arrived for the last night of our honeymoon and nothing that we requested was given to us.
When we arrived we asked for breaking some local currency to give tips to their staff. Nobody since to have change on this hotel. When we arrive to our room I ask for two American adaptors ( i have apnea and i need to sleep with a sleep machine that is plugged to an outlet)and they said all they don't have anymore.
The next day when we finished breakfast a person came to the elevator asking me to come back and pay for breakfast. I had to come back and explain to them that it was include it.
We did an early check out since we were going out early in the morning to get to know the city and no room was given to us to change and shower even that I requested in the morning. Note that I was flying 16 hours to NY and then 6 to Mexico.
Is this a way to threat some honeymooners in your hotel? I travel a lot for work and pleasure and I was never been treat this way in a hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear Dsnewyorker

Please accept my deepest apologies to both you and your wife for what turned out to be a most disappointing stay. Please be assured that my management TEAM and I are on top of the various issues you highlighted and we will make every effort to ensure that we address these concerns appropriately.

We are certainly not in the business of making excuses, and accept the comment of the poor service you received as an opportunity to simply do it better in the future. We will review your comments with the TEAM and reiterate that it is our mission to focus on our GUESTS enjoyment and that service delivery is always a priority.

We have clearly dropped the ball in facilitating a simple change request as our STAFF is equipped to provide this service. It is very worrying to hear that a late checkout was not offered as it would have been very convenient for you to freshen up before your long flight home.

It is vital that the TEAM do their best to deliver the best GUEST service as we want to strive for consistency to guarantee a wonderful stay and positive experience for each and every GUEST.

We look forward to welcoming you back as it would be our absolute pleasure to embrace you with true Fire & Ice! hospitality.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Beautiful and clean hotel in a nice area of Jo'burg. However, the service was TERRIBLE... We are on our honeymoon and nothing we requested was granted: Simple change to a 100 rand bill without buying something, plug adapters, giving us a shower to change so we could enjoy the pool for a couple of hours before hopping on a 16 hour flight back to the dread of North American winter... Nothing. It was even an argument not to have breakfast charged to our room when it was included in our rate, These are simple things that should be offered with kindness to someone who is coming to your hotel, let alone your country, for the first time. It was an unfortunate end to a wonderful trip... No other hotel in South Africa had as poor a service as this one. Although I plan and look forward to coming back to south africa one day, I will never stay at this hotel or any of the other protea hotels throughout the country. That was not my intention upon arrival after seeing the nice and hip facilities... Unfortunately they quickly ruined that badly themselves.

Dear VenezuelanNewYorker

I would like to apologise most sincerely that you encountered such a disappointing experience at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! on what was meant to be a memorable honeymoon. The issues you have highlighted are completely unacceptable and are not a true reflection of the service we strive to achieve.

Although we receive numerous positive and wonderful comments on how friendly our STAFF are, we will certainly not be turning a blind eye on the concern raised regarding the behaviour received from our TEAM. It is unacceptable as we make every effort to meet all our GUESTS needs ensuring that they experience an unforgettable stay.

It’s embarrassing that we couldn’t get it right, as it is not something we are proud to hear about. We know that it is not worth the ounce of effort if we do not get it right every time. The STAFF are equipped in facilitating our GUESTS with a basic change request and I am saddened to hear that we could not provide this service. A late checkout would have been the perfect solution to accommodate your needs to shower before your long flight home. Where we are able to assist with this requirement, we do so gladly.

We have reiterated to the TEAM how important it is to deliver the best GUEST service and to meet and exceed GUEST expectations by fulfilling all requests. We want to provide our GUESTS with an excellent service experience and your encounter was definitely not the impression that we wanted to leave.

In the event we could convince you to return perhaps even on a future anniversary celebration, we hope to have the chance of proving to you that we are truly proud of our product and we value the enjoyment of our GUEST’S experience.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This hotel was in a very upscale area, the staff was helpful, the breakfast buffet was pretty amazing. The rooms were very impressive. Altogether the hotel was exceptional & beyond my expectations. The only downfall is that they ran out of double bed rooms. This hotel was very alive (with music), I thought it was due to fashion week, but I've read it is typically like that. Overall great start to our trip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Dear 619miamiluv662

Meeting and exceeding our GUEST expectations is what we thrive on! Thank you for giving us such an awesome review.

We have a beautiful property and your appreciation thereof gives us great pleasure.

We have a certain number of twin rooms in the hotel and during the week of your stay, we had numerous groups in house that had taken up these rooms. To avoid disappointment on any future stays, please highlight your request so that you can enjoy another comfortable stay with us.

Our property is all about the ‘energy’ and the ‘pulse’ and it is absolutely vital for us to make every effort to get it right. By hosting evening entertainment, playing smooth tunes in the background and having great STAFF we feel that we have achieved the perfect mix in providing our uber cool GUESTS with an experience to remember. We do hope that you will come back to enjoy an evening in our gorgeously furnished Lobby Lounge.

Our TEAM hopes that you had a safe trip back home and we look forward to hosting you again!

Durban
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I have stayed here several times. I generally always find it a good stay and have noticed some great improvements eg the room service menu which has come along in leaps and bounds. The service overall can be a bit variable eg this time the breakfast service was not up to the high standard previously experienced. I was not offered any coffee and eventually got up and fetched it myself. However, when there was a problem with the lifts one of the manager's offered to carry my suitcase down, fortunately it was not necessary as the lift was operating normally again. My experience has been that there is a genuine effort to raise the standards and address concerns, I can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear knowthegoodstuff

It really is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed another great stay with us!

The TEAM has been working hard to get the basics right and it is evident that our efforts have resonated. We have listened to our GUESTS and improved our room service menu and this has only yielded great results!

As for the service experienced during breakfast, it is clear that we have dropped the ball and your concern has been highlighted to the TEAM. We can only learn from this and we are positive with consistent training and mentoring that we will exceed your service expectations again.

If it were not for your comments, we will never know when we are doing right or wrong and we would never have the opportunity to improve our service offerings. We believe that if our TEAM stays focussed and vigilant, we can only prosper in our results.

We are certainly looking forward to your next visit and making it an exceptional one!

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Enjoyed the hotel. Found the hallways etc too dark. Helps the look and feel, but not for me. Staff were fun, room clean. Shower went warm to hot, but could have been great otherwise. The location is very good, could do with more people at reception, sometimes too long to wait for parking ticket to be validated etc.

Stayed October 2012
Dear Oaklands4

We have to agree that we have a good location in the Melrose Arch Precinct, with some great restaurants, to compliment one’s travels to Johannesburg providing both fantastic accommodation and the convenience and variety of ‘on the doorstep’ shopping.

The design of our sexy dark ‘Old Hollywood Glam’ themed hallways, granted, are not to everyone’s taste, however the comfort and cleanliness of our rooms and public facilities always receive top priority.

We do hope that the changes in the water temperatures did not deter from your overall stay with us. The way in which it is set up, it really should not fluctuate even when there is a high usage of water. We will certainly attend to this as it will require specialist input.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. You have provided us with some great comments and have assisted us with various concerns raised.

Warmest Regards,
London United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

I had a two for one accomodation voucher given I have a gold prokard membership.

Upon checkin Nellie the check in agent was so rude about my not paying for both nights I even had to ask her to explain herself.

Upon getting my room key for 341 the shower in the room was disgusting!!! I called for the duty manager Joe agreed dirty foot prints and the hairs on the shower tray was not acceptable.

He told me he would move me to another room but I would have to wait for another hour before I could check in. I left and was called THREE hours later to be told Joe had personally checked the room and it was ready for me when I wanted to check in.

I returned around 9pm and the man Albert who was sitting on the luggage trolley was talking to a guest about arsenal and Liverpool and the currentvstate of football. I asked him for his help and he ignored me and carried on chatting letting me struggle in with 2 suitcases and five huge bags of shopping.

Went to the new room where I was given a fruit basket - with bugs flying around under the cling wrap that covered the basket.

There were long strands of hair on the pillow which given the duty manager "personally checked the room" makes me profoundly concerned.

I again called for the duty manager and she was so uninterested in design with my concerns. I took my luggage back downstairs and waited for a new room. At 9:55 I asked to be transferred to the Protea Hotel Wanderers as I was tried of waiting for a clean room and the staff had been profoundly unhelpful.

Massive disappointment and I look forward to discussing this at length with the general manager if they ever reply to my emails and messages left!

Terrible experience and so pleased I could be transferred to the Wanderers!!! They treat their guests so very well!!

Fire and Ice... No ice and certainly no fire! Awful and won't ever return!!

Dear JohnWatmough

I would like to apologise most sincerely that you encountered such a disappointing experience at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch on your recent visit. It really does sound like we dropped the ball and it certainly does not seem as if you received the true Fire & Ice! hospitality and quality service. I would like to thank you for discussing your stay with me in person and for allowing us the chance to address and rectify the concerns you highlighted. It is our philosophy to listen to our GUESTS and hear what they have to say, hence the ‘Please Disturb’ sign on my office window. With this powerful tool it allows us to strive towards meeting and exceeding our GUESTS expectations.

It is very concerning to hear that the Front Desk agent did not come across in a polite manner as we have only received many compliments about her friendliness and efficiency during her previous GUEST interactions. We will be sure to readdress this area with the entire TEAM and continue to stress that our GUESTS are our top priority and must always be attended to with efficiency, friendliness and professionalism.

The issues raised regarding the rooms you were given are certainly not something we are proud to hear about. We have placed this as a priority concern and will be attended to and monitored in all rooms going forward.

We can assure you that Albert’s response towards you seeking his assistance is certainly not a reflection of the high standard of service we strive to achieve. Please be assured that this isolated incident has been addressed. We have also reiterated the importance of making a positive impression upon every GUEST interaction.

I know that we cannot change what transpired as this is certainly not the impression we wish to leave. As mentioned to you, we really hope to have an opportunity of making it up to you. We want to prove to you that we are proud of our product and the services my TEAM provide, as we are determined to get the basics right.

Warmest Regards,