“A great place to stay on business”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reading, United Kingdom
“A great place to stay on business”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed in the hotel for four nights on business. Arrived at 10.30 from an overnight flight. There were no rooms available for immediate check in, but we were offered a complimentary coffee whilst we waited and were told that as soon as rooms were available we would be told. Reception staff did find us (in the restaurant) when rooms were available. Rooms are excellent and the bed very comfortable. The food in the restaurant was excellent also, breakfast and evening meal. Staff are helpful and come across as happy to help and make the stay a good one. Lots of smiling.
I was very impressed and had a great stay on this my first trip to South Africa.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Andy K,

Thank you providing us with such wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate such valuable comments.

We do apologize that there were no rooms available upon your check in as it was in the morning and our check in time is 14h00 but we are glad that our TEAM were able to avail a room for you within a swiftly period. The rooms are impeccably designed making our GUESTS feel at home as we have the essential basics like a super comfortable bed for all our GUESTS to indulge in and so much more.

The chefs at our establishment honor themselves in preparing and providing the most superb dishes, breakfast, lunch and dinner, and we are thrilled that they satisfied your every tantalizing palate.

Our STAFF are forever lively and willing to go the extra mile for all our GUESTS making their stays one that will always be remembered, we thank you for the wonderful observations pertaining to our STAFF, your comments will definitely be passed onto them to highlight the great job that they are doing. A smile a day certainly doesn’t go unnoticed.

We are beyond pleased that you had a wonderful first experience in South Africa at our hotel, whenever you are in the country again please do pop by as we would love to not only meet but exceed your most desired expectations.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 May 2014

A boutique hotel about 40 minutes from the airport with good connections outside of rush hour. It is located beside a pedestrianised shopping area with a huge number of restaurants and cafes. The rooms are very comfortable, if quirky, with the shower and sink in the bedroom. The breakfast is excellent. I found the staff to be helpful and polite. The gym is small so get in early. The internet arrangements could be better but overall a good hotel for the purpose.

Room Tip: Lower floors have better wifi.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear BJF965,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us.

The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! is ideally located within the Melrose Arch Precinct with a wide variety of selected stores and restaurants all within close proximity of each other.

Our rooms are uniquely designed equipped with all the necessities for a comfortable stay. The shower is certainly a quirky element of our rooms as it creates open space plus adding to the ‘fabulosity’ of who we are.

The meals prepared at our establishment are made by well-skilled enthusiastic chefs’ and we are glad that you enjoyed our excellent selection, perfect for kick starting your day.

Thank you for the lovely comments pertaining to our STAFF, we always aim to treat our GUESTS with the best GUEST service, making one feel welcome. Our gym is indeed slightly smaller than regular gymnasiums as it is equipped with the essential basics, for a more strenuous work, we do have the Virgin Active gym which is just down the street within the precinct for your convenience.

Telkom our National Service Provider was undergoing routine maintenance on our WIFI system therefore we do apologize for the spotty internet connection but I can assure you that it has been dealt with effectively.

We are pleased that you had a delightful stay and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Amazing and incredible Africa, South Africa. Love that place for its freedom and unique. It will take approx 30-40 min to reach hotel from airport. Hotel is locating in kind of small compound, very secured area and very luxury. But still keep in mind, Johannesburg (Jo'burg) is a capital of the crime. To be safe - keep all your valuable stuff next to you and do not leave anything unattendant, never keep wallet, glasses, bags on the table in the cofe shops or restaurants. Hotel is amazing in all the aspects: design, style, smell, room, food. You must try food in their restaurant. its Bellissimo! Try ostrich meat. They got lots of ostrich farms so meat is fresh and tasty. Nothing in there from overseas, except people. So enjoy food. Breakfast is not so good as outside. Outside of the hotel you might find lots of restaurants. But I am advicing you to try this - JB's Cafe. Right infront of Meat Co. Its very affordable even without discount. You must try in that cofe - COFFEE. Any time of coffee is amazing. And mind the size of the portions you will order. The smallest one in there (baby wow) is big enough to eat in there and take away for the later. There is one supermarket, which is inside Woolworth cloth store. Its one of the expensive supermarket in SA but the stuff in there FRESH and HIGH quality. You can buy there meat and some fresh vegies. Other supermarkets like Checkers, Shopright too far. You will spend around 120-150 Rand for the taxi one way. So better to shop in Woolworth. Do not forget to check wine store in the small shopping mall right next to the Woolworth. We have in there 5% discount, hehehe, The best South African wines in there and very cheap. So just keep in mind: be safe, stay safe and enjoy FREEDOM. Incredible Africa, South Africa

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank CabinCrew2014
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear CabinCrew2014,

It is always wonderful to hear about our GUESTS experience with us and especially about our beautiful country. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit!

The hotel is situated within the Melrose Arch precinct which is a sophisticated and very popular area and is highly secure; this is advantageous to all of our GUESTS. We appreciate your lovely comments of our hotel and the design is derived from the ‘Old Hollywood Glamour’ theme which is undoubtedly modern and undeniably quite chic.

We do apologize that our breakfast spread was not to your taste however the food at our establishment is prepared by the best equipped culinary TEAM and they take pride and care for each dish served. There is a great variety of restaurants within the precinct which our GUESTS are more than welcome to visit for a different genre of tastes.

Without a doubt we ought to boast that we offer the best milkshakes in town with 36 delectable flavors; an experience at The Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! would be incomplete without enjoying at least one of these delicious drinks!

As a TEAM we are pleased that after 7 months after your last stay, we have made that positive lasting impression.

We look forward to your next visit to South Africa.

Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed in a number of different hotels in Johannesburg and this is the only one that I would not return to. It is OK in terms of decor and it is in a great location, but the overall feel of the hotel is poor in my opinion. I know that to describe something as overall feel is not really helpful, so let me try and quantify what I mean:

Although the hotel is in a great location in Melrose Arch, very near to a number of shops, bars and restaurants this is possibly the only thing that I like about it. The other points are

1. The service from the staff in the hotel is generally quite poor, I have had good service from only 2 people in the restaurant, other than that the front of house staff are not that great.
2. The room is very small an there is no separate bathroom, the shower and the sink are actually in the bedroom, which as I have been here on my own is not too bad, but I am not a fan of this.
3. I have had to kill 5 fairly large bugs in my bedroom during my stay, this is not caused by room cleanliness I dont think as the room is very clearn, however, they must be coming from somewhere. They are also horrible bugs about the size of my little finger nail with a hard shell - not nice!!
4. I have used the hotel transport / taxi just the once, but the driver was not helpful and we were restricted to a return home time before 10pm

All in all I would definitely not stay again, there are plenty of hotels in JoBurg that are much better than this one at roughly the same price.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear JessTurner,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write the above review, your feedback is highly appreciated.

It brings us such great displeasure to hear of how your stay, was anything but satisfactory. The hotel is located within the gated Melrose Arch precinct, which is bustling with shops, boutiques and restaurant for our GUEST’s convenience, unfortunately this means nothing if the hotel’s service is below par. I sincerely apologize for the standard of service that you received or the lack thereof. I assure you that such service is not a representation of the standard norm of Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! , we as a brand aim to provide the best service to all our GUESTS and it appears as though we have failed you in this regard, it is absolutely inexcusable that there was no consistency of efficient service during your stay and I guarantee you that the relevant departments will be informed of this and these wrongs will indeed be righted.

The configuration of our rooms are style specific with the dramatic black and white theme with splashes of red and clear glass showers to embrace an Old Hollywood Glamour theme that we aim to carry out throughout the whole hotel.

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by the unlikely sight of bugs in your room; it is a matter of concern which we shall address with seriousness. Our STAFF prides themselves on the work ethic that they deliver but it is a dissatisfaction that they were not able to assist you, I assure you that this matter won’t be taken lightly.

You patronage at our hotel is held at high esteem and we would like greatly to restore your faith in our product. Please kindly email Miriam- our GUEST Relations Manager at guest@fireandice-ma.com, we would like to hear more on your experience with us, we look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I must say being located in such a profiled area would expected alot more from Protea Fire & Ice. One had to search for service through out my stay, found staff to be unfriendly at times. Hardly a Manage on site, both nights I went to Sandton for Dinner did not want to put myself through any more disappointment. Its as if when I asked for assistance I was bothering the staff eg. Asked for a iron and ironing board, house keeping knocks 3times and doesn't announce herself she gets annoyed by the fact no one is attending to the door at a quick rate and decides to leave the iron outside the door and walks away.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear luyolo n,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us. You are certainly providing us with the opportunity of correcting these shortcomings.

It brings me such disappointment to hear that your stay with us did not meet or exceed your expectations. The fact that management was nowhere to be found during your stay is actually inexcusable as they are required to be available to our GUESTS at all times. I can assure you that the departments concerned will be dealt with accordingly and that the necessary measures are put in place to ensure that we consistently deliver spectacular GUEST service.

With regards to the housekeeping concern, our housekeepers have been instructed to knock 3 times on the door announcing their presence to the GUESTS before entering the bedroom. It is unacceptable that the attendant had dropped the ball and we will reiterate to the TEAM that we need to get the basics right to eliminate such an instance from happening again.

Further to that, I would like chat to you about the details of your stay with us; please contact me directly gm@fireandice-ma.com.

I look forward to hearing from you and making much needed amends.

Tadley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

What you expect from this chain. Good quality hotel and very welcoming staff all round the hotel. Breakfast layout was good with hot cooked food readily available. It's also close to the main and any restaurants in Melrose which was very useful when a full blown monsoon swept in whilst we were there!
Rooms were tastefully designed with good firm bed. Unusual shower configuration but fun!

Room Tip: Try overlooking the internal pool area rather than the apartments across the road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Graham P,

It was such a pleasure to read your fantastic review of your recent stay with us.

The Fire & Ice! brand is unique in its own right and that is evident from the moment you step into our establishment; we exude quality from all our physical finishes to the STAFF persona as we aim to provide the finest personal GUEST service.

Our TEAM takes pride in delivering a premium breakfast spread for our GUESTS with an exceptional selection of cold and hot items for your delight. The Melrose Arch Precinct is impeccably designed with a wide range of stores and restaurants that are in close proximity of each other for our GUESTS benefit. All this within walking distance!

All of our rooms are indeed tastefully designed and at the same time it screams of a bold, slick yet sexy and stimulating atmosphere plus the physical properties in the room are of the best grade for ultimate fulfillment - what a complete package! Even though the open plan rooms are funky and a bit unusual to the eye, they are stylish and offer all the facilities and amenities needed when staying over.

A great view is always adds a special touch to ones experience at a hotel. Please do highlight your preference upon your next booking with us and we will be glad to facilitate your request.

We look forward to not only meeting but exceeding your expectations upon your next visit to South Africa.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel is badged as a super hip super trendy new hotel in melrose arch. The room quality, bedding, service, pool deck, restaurant general hoteliness is fine, but probably not quite up to the 5* level it claims to be. You also have to pay for parking which is annoying.

My main issue with this hotel is that it is too "concepty" for its own good really, black and white pictures of famous movie stars all over the place are all well and good, but the large collage hanging over the bed and Marilyn Munroe staring and at me whilst I'm in the loo is a little too much for me.

I much preferred the protea Wanderers hotel down the road, which although older and not nearly as hip as this hotel has everything that you would want with no flashyness.

We enjoyed out stay at fire and ice but in future will only be going back for milkshakes (which are very good).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Howardsefton,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We take the good with the bad and appreciate your comments.

It brings me such great displeasure to read that your stay with us was anything but special. Our hotel is graded as a 4 star property and it seems as though some of our GUESTS may have misconceived us as a 5 star property of which we are not certified. With that being said I do apologize for us not being able to meet and exceed your expectations with the best GUEST service that we strive to meet on a daily basis. Being part of a precinct environment, the parking for our hotel GUESTS is owned by Melrose Arch and unfortunately the pricing is a pre-determined rate which is for your own account. I do apologize that for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

I understand that the decor and style of the hotel may not be to everyone’s liking and some may even recognize it as being too “concepty”, but we want to carry out the Old Hollywood glamour theme throughout our hotel in order to ensure that the theme is consistency is achieved. Every part of our hotel with regards to furniture and décor is to cater for the elegance that we boast of; the black and white with splashes of red, is specific to the Old Hollywood era that we are striving to recapture. Our sister hotel, Protea Hotel Wanderers is indeed different from our hotel and although we are of the same hotel group, we do represent different brands, where we are known to be urban, experiential and edgy, they are a more traditional hotel and are famous for their apples. It is wonderful to have so much choice and variety of Protea Hotels!

Being a Fire & Ice! hotel, we are famous for our milkshakes and pride ourselves of this signature drink & boldly claim them to be the best in the Jozi . The dynamically ‘out of the box flavors’ which we dare to prepare certainly make us different from the rest! I am glad that you enjoyed our milkshake offering and that you will return to enjoy another round – after all we do have 36 different flavors to choose from.

I would love to further discuss your experience with us and would appreciate if you could contact me directly via email: gm@fireandice-ma.com.

We are very proud & passionate of our product and the services that we provide. We hope to be welcoming you back in the near future and to restore your faith in us.