“Poor Rating for This Hotel”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I expected this hotel to have the quality and service to match it's excellent location. However, I was very disappointed with both. Although the front desk staff was not rude, they were not friendly nor helpful either. The room had the most impractical design for a hotel room that I have ever encountered. It consisted of one room with a shower curtain that could be drawn to partially enclose a bathroom, shower area. Otherwise, the shower was open and right in the sleeping and living area. Privacy was simply not possible. Furthermore, the outside door opened right into the bathroom/shower area. Although the toilet was located in a water closet, we did have to request the cleaning staff to come and re-clean this area, as it was not clean when we checked in.
We had lunch in the restaurant of the hotel and we waited a full hour for our food. Several other people complained about similar service. The restaurant manager gave the excuse that they had been unexpectedly busy in the bar area. Numerous inquiries about our meals proved futile and just as we were about to leave, the meal arrived. The manager charged us full price for the meal, despite the long wait.
The rooms had no WiFi access in them, although some computers were available for use in the main lobby. Again, service was an issue. The computers were not user friendly and the passwords kept changing. I needed to get front desk staff to help me, but they were short staffed. I tried to order a mineral water at the bar, but it was never served to me.
I gave up on the computer. During the day I purchased my own mineral water at a local store. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you check in.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear LoisTB,

I am extremely sad to hear that your stay with us was anything but special and I would just like to thank you for such a detailed review. Without your comments we will not know where we are going wrong and can only learn from this!

It is apparent that we are failing to deliver on one of our Protea Principles which is ‘The best GUEST service’ and it is concerning when my TEAM is just not getting the basics right.
The room design is an edgy and urban concept which is to make clever use of available space that boasts with fashionable techniques and features and we sincerely apologize for the disappointment you encountered as a result of the poor housekeeping. It is unacceptable that you had to request the TEAM to clean your room again and we will focus more diligently on our room checks ensuring the freshness of each room.

As for the Front Desk and Food & Beverage concerns, words cannot express how sorry we are and that such simple requests couldn’t be carried out with the greatest of ease. My TEAM is very capable and competent in what they do and your experience is not a true reflection of their conduct. These issues will be addressed and rebuff where necessary as we aim to be the unrivalled leader of fantastic service delivery.

Please be assured that we are committed to ensuring that every GUEST enjoys a wonderful stay and positive experience with us. We know that we achieve this, as we are inundated daily with positive feedback from our GUESTS. However, we are aware that our efforts are pointless if we do not get the basics right consistently. With your valuable feedback and our dedication to you, we look forward to welcoming you back so that we can prove to you that we are truly proud of our product, services and facilities.

I would like to communicate with you directly to bring closure to this unpleasant experience. Please contact me directly (gm@fireandice-ma.com). I look forward to hearing from you and making much needed amends.

Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed the stay in this hotel very much. This was my first touch with Protea, but I really like this style very much. Got "Liz Taylor"-room, slept like a baby in comfy bed, the shower is great, room neat and clean. Food in restaurant was very good, but the milk-shakes!!! They were the best I ever had in my life, still missing them! So yummy!
Breakfast with lots of choices and ALL STAFF WAS VERY HELPING AND FRIENDLY! Thanks again, you made my first stay in South Africa memorable!

• Stayed: June 2014
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear queenie64,

Wow, thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay with us. It is highly appreciated!

It brings both me and the TEAM such great pleasure to know that we were able to play a small role in making your first visit to South Africa a memorable one. We aim to give all of our GUESTS the best GUEST service at all times and we are constantly in search of excellence and the fact that our TEAM members were able to provide you with a helpful and friendly service brings me such delight!

We are most famous for our milkshakes- with their natural flavors (no artificial flavorings) to ensure that the greatest taste is achieved in order for the burst of flavor to taste like a party in your mouth.

Thank you again for this fabulous review, it is people like you that make the hard work that we put in worthwhile. We look forward to hosting you again, the next time you find yourself in South Africa!

Regards,

Reviewed 17 June 2014

once again stayed at the hotel for 1 night.. had a procard free night voucher which I redeemed on this stay.. I have to say that I was really disappointed with some of the service I received this time.. the front desk was great but at night my daughter was hungry and wanted muffins to eat so I went to the restaurant area and enquired about it.. I was helped by a lady who said that they did have muffins and would get a waiter to assist.. upon asking the waitress she said that I will have to go to my room and call room service for to get the muffins which I then did.. but the lady who answered said that I could not order the muffins as they only serve them for breakfast.. are the staff too lazy to help the guests or do they not communicate properly with each other??? this was really frustrating.. after that I spoke to the manager at the food and told her about it and the muffins were available but was really upset about all that had happened that I didn't even want it anymore.. to make matters worse my keycard stopped working (problem with the lock on the door) and everytime I went out and came back I had to knock on the door and disturb everyone in the room .. this was sorted out but at 11pm I had to move my room and by this time my kids were falling asleep and then we had to move.. what was suppose to be a night of rest and relaxation turned out to be more of a night of frustration and definitely no relaxation.. also just a note to mention that the picture quality on the tv was really bad .. most channels were either snowy or had pictures jumping.. really disappointed with the stay and I have stayed there a few times before and the service seems to be getting worse!!! felt like a waste of a night and I am glad in a way that it was a free night voucher cos otherwise it will be just have been money wasted ..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mohammed N
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Mohammed N,

I am so terribly sorry that you and your family had such a poor experience on your last visit. As you have stayed with us on many occasions before and always enjoyed yourself, we have truly let you down.

I do appreciate the time you have taken to share this feedback and I was grateful to connect with you personally earlier this week. I have made it my priority to address these concerns and will make every effort to ensure that my TEAM are consistently ensuring that each and every GUEST enjoys an amazing experience on every stay.

We hope to have the wonderful opportunity of welcoming you and your beautiful family back and proving to you that we are truly proud of our services and we look forward to making it up to you.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed over for 1 night on business, room no 453 (Audrey Heburn theme), facing the courtyard and pool area (quite room).
Quick check in, room was clean and in excellent condition. Room service was quick, wake up call on time and breakfast choices & presentation superb. Did not eat dinner that evening.
Hotel has viby feel to it and was quiete busy, especially at check out time the next morning.
Can definetly recommend for anybody who enjoys a different style hotel.

Room Tip: 453 facing inner courtyard (quiet room)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Miriam C,

Thank you so much for your outstanding feedback on your recent stay with us; it brings us such great pleasure to read.

Giving all our GUESTS ‘the best GUEST service is of absolute importance to us and is exactly what the Fire & Ice! brand stands for and we pleased to know that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations from check in, which begins from the minute you enter into our establishment.

Our location is one of our paramount selling points, as the Melrose Arch Precinct is a very secure complex boasting a great deal of shops and eateries.

We trust that your stay was simply fabulous and look forward to your next escape at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Recently visited the hotel for drinks for meeting we I entered the hotel it looks very nice but once you sit down you notice that the place needs work the tables are dirty and should be replaced the staff are no where to be found we wait for 15 min for menus or to acknowledged I was then told that the table was booked For some one else but there was no one there to tell type that when we arrived, I really think the level of service has dropped since Anton has left the group, I really hope that Marrriot group can sort it out as this was a nice hotel..... what a pity!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank b-simon68

Dear b-simon68,

I refer to your recent visit and I am sincerely sorry for the poor experience you encountered.

Consistency is vital in our industry and unfortunately very noticeable when we do not get it right every time. Although we receive compliments on a daily basis about our establishment, the décor and atmosphere and many positive STAFF mentions about the wonderful service received, this certainly did not resonate during your visit.

I admit that we can only be as good as the last experience and once again I apologise for letting you, our GUEST down. I would love to have the opportunity to connect with you personally to ensure that this situation is correctly dealt with and that, as our valued GUEST we make every effort to turn the situation around.

Please feel free to contact me personally at gm@fireandice-ma.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We spent a night at the Fire and Ice to celebrate a special occasion. Although there was a misunderstanding regarding our dinner reservations, this was quickly resolved. The service was good and staff helpful. The food was also very good and the milkshakes out of this world! We were welcomed with a box of divine cupcakes and vochers for milkshakes. The hotel is different to the norm and it is this difference that makes it such a memorable experience...highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Monadevi,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your recent experience with us.

We would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused regarding the misunderstanding of your booking; however we are delighted that our TEAM was quick in turning the situation around without any hassle for the enjoyment of your special occasion.

Our TEAM comprises of super fabulous lively STAFF which are forever ready to provide our valuable GUESTS with the best GUEST service. We pride ourselves on the delectable array of milkshakes that we have to offer as well as the delicious food prepared by our highly skilled chefs.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our little gesture as we aim to create a lasting impression on our GUESTS.

Thank you once again for the lovely comments, we definitely looking forward to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have visited Joburg a number of times and was advised to stay here at the hotel is situated in a "European type" town setting. Meaning that there is easy places to walk to from the hotel. I was able to get out for a stroll in the evenings and mornings. The milkshakes as mentioned by many are wonderful. The staff were very helpful from the front desk, the drivers, the travel desk, the breakfast room to housekeeping (one morning I rang to enquire about the dry cleaning service, the lady dropped everything and came up to the room to help me...what a star!) the only thing I found that I did not like, was the decor. The public rooms are fine, but I did not find the uber design features in the bedroom very relaxing/restful so overall, a great place to stay. I will be back but bring my sun glasses!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Aquila2013
Gabrielle_Abrahams, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Johannesburg Melrose Arch, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Aquila2013,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback on your recent experience with us; it was a pleasure to read.

The Melrose Arch Precinct does indeed resemble a ‘European type’ town setting where you can liberally walk to all the restaurants and stores as they are all within close proximity of each other. We are known for our fabulous gourmet milkshakes, I wonder which one was your favorite.

Our STAFF are driven with the passion that empowers them in delivering superb customer service, we are grateful that all our STAFF members throughout the hotel added that extra added value to your stay with us.

The style of our hotel resonates from the old ‘Hollywood chic’ with its dramatic black & white features; we always want our GUESTS to feel like a star the minute the step into our establishment. Despite the minor detail, I am glad that you had a wonderful stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.