“Home away from home”
Review of Le Chatelat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Johannesburg
Le Chatelat
Ranked #136 of 293 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

All staff were excellent - Fraser, Sharon, Deela, MC and Ronald, very nice people. My stay was pleasurable and nothing but good words to say. I look forward to having the Presidential suite sometime. I will be back again.

Best wishes.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Emmers i

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Have stayed here numerous times and on each occasion the service and catering only gets better and better. Situated at the foot of Sandton, this Hotel is perfectly suited for any business trip or smart occasion. The owners take pride in what they do and the place really has a special feel to it with lovely grounds and friendly staff.

Room Tip: The main suite is sensational!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank JeffreyJ719
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Really lovely grounds and good land scaping, pretty to look at and to take pictures. Beautiful warm interior with tasteful pieces of art and lots of fresh potted orchids. If only everything else lived up to it's prettiness. Firstly, nobody greated and welcomed us to the venue but we were lucky enough that they thoughtfully set up a sign with our company name and an arrow so we knew which way to go. We were a work delegation of 13 guests using the conference facilities over 2 days. The conference room was inadequate as we sat so close to each other our elbows touched - some of our group moved off the table to create more space and we worked with notebooks and laptops on our laps. Our water supply was not replaced after breaks on both days except only after we requested for more. Meal choices were limited to 2 options, beef or vegetarian and the next day chicken or vegetarian with dessert being the same warm pudding on both days - again no other choices. Our meal portions were too small and most of our team were still hungry after lunch - the staff then walked around the table with bowls of food offering guests to help themselves to more (I think they overheard our table state the need for more food......lol...). the worst part for our group was that we had access to one single toilet, so at any point during breaks we stood in a queue, men and woman, waiting to use the single cubicle....seriously.......literally one toilet for 13 people! The parking space was a nightmare, no markings or much space with a parking attendant guiding you......I was extremely uncomfortable trying to park a SUV in the little spaces. We broke into work groups but could not use the seating areas on the balcony as the chairshad wrought iron frames but not all had cushions, we moved and dragged chairs to get a group seating......so weird? Would I suggest this venue for a work conference? No I would not. Would I suggest this venue for a stay over romantic/holiday get away, I cannot say except take your guidance from those visitors who did stay over.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Lucrecia1511
lechatelat, General Manager at Le Chatelat, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for your feedback as it is only by receiving feedback that we can make corrections to exceed our guests expectations. We are ever vigilant to ensure that your experience is enjoyable and professional so ensuring your continued support.

This is our first ever negative comment and we take your comments to heart and will make every effort to meet your expectations in the future.

Kind Regards
Ronald Sibanda
Reviewed 19 March 2013

my partner and I had an amazing stay here, amazing hospitality, great food and wine and it boasts the most breathtakingly beautiful garden, a piece of France right on our doorsteps. we spent Valentines here and the staff went out of their way to make our day extra special.. we will definately return to Le Chatelat

Room Tip: the courtyard suites are great value for money
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 13 March 2013

What an amazing place, an oasis in the heart of the business district of Sandton, awesome staff, the best beds and linen, superb coffee. I had the pleasure of sitting and chatting to the staff in the open plan kitchen whilst my breakfast was being prepared. Talk about eggs made to order !!!

Room Tip: the suites upstairs are the best
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sethan123
Reviewed 16 October 2012

When I think about a boutique guesthouse in Sandhurst, JHB - and a French-style one at that - I think gilt, pretension, expense. Le Chatelat took me completely by surprise. For starters, it's good value - we stayed in a magnificent suite, with an exquisite view of the gardens and pool - for roughly the same price per night as many standard urban hotels. Then, the food and wine (served in our room and ordered specially) was outstanding. Finally, the staff were amazing - friendly, engaging, sincere. None of that awkward fawning nonsense I'm used to from upmarket hotels. I would definitely stay at Le Chatelat again, and not just for an anniversary (although it is one of the most romantic spots I've ever been to, and perfect for a special occasion). If you have a party or function, I'd grab the private cellar. Those guys know what they're doing.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool-facing room if you can get one.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TiffanyMarkman
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I have just come back from my second stay at this wonderful place. Lets start with the decour. What an eye for detail and what stunning taste. The service is second to none and so warm and friendly. I do a lot of business travel and le Chatelat sets the bench mark for anything that I have experienced before. If you are staying in Johannesburg either for business or pleasure this is the only place to consider.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business