“Well deserved pit-stop” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 290 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
“Well deserved pit-stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

It was pretty easy to find the place down the road, close to the restaurant block. Very interesting directive received from a security guard close by. The Village Green was a wonderfully deserved stay for me. I really liked the setting of the room I was allocated and the space which really allowed me relaxation time since I didn’t know where about in Johannesburg I should find a yoga gym at 6pm. The attention to details, warm welcome and assistance from the manager and the service offered by the very ever smiling staff was a complement to my stay and I certainly look forward to stop by again.

Well, there is no meal offered onsite, but there are some very nice restaurants about 100m walk from the guesthouse for the foodies. Also, I would say that the place could be a bit pricey, but it was worth the stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Deventer, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Beautiful rooms, decoration is tip top and attention has been given to all the details. A pool is at hand and nearby there are shops and a supermarket. The guesthouse is located in a charming street filled with lots of trees. Restaurants and coffeeshops are closeby. Breakfast is a treat, staff are nice. Beds,you fall down on them, you fall asleep and next morning you feel refreshed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

My stay at the Village Green was pleasant enough, however the accommodation is not of the same standard of the guest house that I usually stay at in Parkview (they were fully booked on this occasion..). The rooms are in need of refurbishment (a professional one - as the previous paint job was not done very well) and the bubbling paint/damp on many of the walls was not very appealing.

The staff were friendly and the location is good but i can get accommodation down the road that is far more upmarket but at a lower price. So, in conclusion, I would stay at the Village Green again, but not as my 1st choice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have been in Johannesburg for two days and I was so lucky to have found my way to Village Green. Father and son manage and run the property and were gracious, welcoming and asked how everything was. But the real review comes in here: I was trying to make some arrangements for the next couple of days and suddenly found my bank and my separate credit card had erroneously shut my accounts down due to suspicions of fraud. I was literally stuck and fearing how I could get tickets for an airline for the next day not to mention not having any ability to use the ATM and get cash as I don't like to carry too much. As I was trying to find a solution at about 10pm the owners son was in the lobby and made use of his landline for me to call American Express. Thanks to him and his family they saved the day. I will definitely be returning here and bringing mates down from Europe and the States. Highly recommend beautiful property and wonderful people!

Room Tip: Make sure if you want more space to book the largest room available. Plenty of space for two in even...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

As I was staying in Jo'burg for 11 days for work I didn't want a chain hotel and friends recommended VGGH. It felt like living in someone's home - in a good way - and staff couldn't have been more helpful. Location in Parkview village means nothing is very far.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights while visiting Johannesburg. Jacques met us at the door when we arrived and gave us the rundown of everything we needed to know. He was very welcoming and answered all of our questions. Both nights we were able to walk across the street for dinner, and both meals were very good. We felt perfectly safe returning to the guest house after dinner.

The Palm Room was beautiful. The bed was comfortable, and the electric blanket was much appreciated. It was colder in the room than it was outside. The TV worked well, and we loved the tea/water/snacks in the room. The bathroom was a nice size. While the shower's hot water was fine, I could not get hot (or even warm) water in the sink after a shower.

The driver recommended by the guest house was very efficient, friendly and reliable. He drove us from and to the airport and was great.

Breakfast is made to order and is delicious -- eggs, fruit, toast, etc. The women who prepare the breakfast are very friendly, and their service is great.

All in all, I definitely recommend Village Green and would consider staying there again if back in Jo-burg.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Westbury, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

We stayed here twice while passing through Johannesburg, and were in two different rooms. The first had two rooms, each with a bed. The room was spacious and clean. We did notice as another guest reported that the shower wouldn't get fully hot sometimes. The beds were comfortable, and even though it was winter there was an electric blanket on the beds which helped keep us warm and a space heater.

The second room we stayed in had one bed, and a little sitting area but still nicer than the average hotel you would find. One morning we were woke up by the neighbors blaring their music for a few hours, but other than that this place is quiet.

The only true complaint that I have is that the satellite tv reception was very sketchy, no matter which channel you tried to watch. The internet connection was very reliable though so that came in handy when the tv was out.

The breakfast here was very good, home cooked food as you ordered it. The ladies who prepare the meals, and live on the property are very helpful and always very accommodating.

I agree with previous reviewers that this is not far from most things you would want to see in the city. Plus, there are two grocery stores within a block, a park with a nice restaurant (make reservations if you go), and a few local restaurants that have a wide variety of food choices.

The drivers they recommend is a very nice guy and will manage to pick you up at any time of the day or night. I don't think he sleeps ever. He knows the roads good and how to get around traffic, but can be a little crazy driving if he is being hasty. However, he is just so friendly and his prices are similar to most cabs and somewhat negotiable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple