“Good Choice for a Tourist-Class Hotel in Rosebank”

Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Washington DC
“Good Choice for a Tourist-Class Hotel in Rosebank”
Reviewed 11 December 2011

Solid, tourist-class property perfectly located for those who want to be in Rosebank or near the Gautrain. Because of its location at Rosebank's The Zone, there are lots of dining options (I highly recommend The Grillhouse, behind the Hyatt next door), plenty of shopping, and tons of security.

Staff at the Holiday Inn Rosebank were helpful enough and assisted in arranging a tour for me. Rooms were on the basic side but were new, clean, and comfortable. If you are staying in Rosebank and must have luxury, there is a Hyatt next door. If you want good value for what you spent, with excellent access to the Gautrain, Holiday Inn Rosebank is for you. I recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay. Our location is certainly one of our features our guests consider when selecting a hotel to stay at in Rosebank. The convenience of The Zone shopping centre as well as access to The Gautrain have already made us the hotel of choice for the corporate market. It was pleasing to note that you found our hotel to be good value for money.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Bill Frohlich

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Toronto
Reviewed 1 December 2011

For rates that are about 1/3 of the next-door Hyatt Regency I got a clean, comfortable room in this modern hotel.

Upon check-in I was immediately offered a free room upgrade (I'm a Priority Club member). The breakfast buffet was great, as was the customer service. There's 30MB of free Wi-Fi per device per day which is enough to check email and for a bit of web surfing. Asking for an extended check-out time (2pm) at the last minute was no problem at all and they were happy to hold my luggage for an extra day.

The entrance to the hotel is literally right across from Rosebank Gautrain Station (the station elevator at street level is probably less than 10 metres away) and the hotel is in the Zone shopping centre. It couldn't be more convenient.

This is now my go-to hotel when doing business in Johannesburg.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Andrew M
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel, especially from one of our valued Priority Club Members. I was pleased to see that we were able to meet all your requirements, including the late departure and lugguge storage. Our location in terms of transport on The Gautrain is excellent and many of our loyal guests frequent that facility to avoid traffic and congestion problems on the roads. I am delighted to see we will become your favoured destination in Johannesburg and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
South Africa
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed at the hotel for two nights on business from the 13 to 15th of October 2011. The staff at reception were morose and unfriendly despite us being Priority Club members, fortunately the manager was close by and he then handled the check in process. The room was lovely and modern, however the bed was small more a double than queen. Our room was on the fifth floor and quite noisy, I think the noise would be quite bad on a lower floor. The shower was quite powerful and lovely.
Breakfast was not part of the room rate and was charged separately, what a disappointment! Firstly the staff were very inattentive, and it took me quite long to get someone’s attention to even get a cup of coffee. The range of cereals was very poor and when I asked for soya milk they acted like they never heard of it, the manager was called and she was not apologetic, the hotel is next to a shopping centre, they could have sent someone to buy some soya milk, however upon ascertaining that I would be there for breakfast the next day she assured me that they would have it the next morning. The range of fruit looked good, but upon tasting the papaya it tasted quite strange. I then requested a soft boiled egg, to my disgust the egg was completely raw, and the white was not even opaque. The Asian section had some very stale looking fish and the dish of mustard had a hard film over it. The next morning we decided to have breakfast in the room, the coffee was cold and the soya milk was again a problem, the restaurant staff said that they had no record of anyone requesting it the previous day. So the manager did not even bother to get the soya milk despite her assurances to me. Guests would be better advised to have breakfast at the Rosebank Centre.
The bathroom did not have any shower caps, when I asked the housekeeping staff to get me one from housekeeping he assured me he would, but I only got the shower cap the next day after phoning housekeeping again. The room was poorly cleaned, not even vacuumed, shame!
Access to the shopping centre is secure and easy, pity about the staff, the hotel could have become our first choice in Johannesburg however poor staff and indifferent care ruined our stay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to note that we did not meet your expectations and I do sincerely apologise fro the areas where we have let you down. I can assure you that this is an isolated incident as we usually receive very good reviews from our guests, especially regarding our service and team at the hotel. The non supply of soya milk is not acceptable and will be dealt with immediately to avoid this from occuring in the future. Please be assured that your comments are taken in a very serious light and all of the issues raised by yourself will be rectified immediately. We do hope we can be of service to you in the future and sincerely hope that we can be given the opportunity to improve where we have let you down.
Tehran, Iran
Reviewed 20 November 2011

the size of the room was big & bed very confortable

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Many thanks for your review and positive scoring of our hotel during your recent stay. Our location is indeed a valuable asset that most of our guests find convenient for their corporate travel. I was pleased to note the high value that you have placed on Quality of sleep and that we were able to meet and exceeed your requirements.
We do look forward to being of service to you in the future and welcoming you back to our hotel shortly.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Just returned from 3 nights in Johannesburg on business and this hotel was an ideal base in a good location.

As my first trip to Jo-burg, and with many questions on how safe is the city - this hotel is perfectly located in the lovely area of Rosebank, 15 minutes north of central Jo-burg, and around 10 minutes from Sandton/Nelson Mandela square.

The hotel itself is attached to a small mall with some great restaurants and a vibrant small bar, and also 5 minutes walk from the African Craft market of Rosebank. Highly recommend the Grill restaurant for great food and wine.

Rooms are spotless, small pool, terrace area and friendly staff - they also offer some tour services if you wish to visit any of the attractions of Johannesburg.

If your looking for a good, safe and central location for business or pleasure, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Views from the room on the front or back offer panaromic views across the green landscape of the cit...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
It is gratifying to read of your enjoyable stay at our hotel especially on your first trip to Johannesburg. I was pleased to hear that you found our location convenient and that you felt safe and secure in our hotel environs. The convenience of direct, private and covered access to one of Johannesburg's premier shopping and entertainment malls is certainly a big advantage for our guests. Your compliments about our team are well noted and I was pleased that you were well looked after. I do hope that we can be of service to you in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.
Holiday inn Johannesburg - Rosebank
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Finding a hotel in Johannesburg with a central location that is not dependent on having your own car or risking the taxi- rip offs can be tough. The Holiday Inn Rosebank comes to the rescue. Ideally located in upscale Rosebank and surrounded by a number of walking-distance (and safe) shopping malls, this is an ideal hotel for both the business and leisure traveler. The hotel opens out into a mall which is linked to a series of others. With numerous restaurants and movie-houses all adjacent, it couldn't be better. This is a very upscale area and the entire precinct has been reconstructed due to the opening of the outstanding Gautrain which now links the area to the airport and further to Pretoria. In fact, the Gautrain station is but a few meters from the hotel's front door making this, perhaps, the most convenient hotel in Johannesburg for transport. But, praise extends further to the well-equipped and modern rooms and the superb front desk service that was friendly and efficient at all times. I mistakenly left my toiletry bag in the hotel and this was couriered back to me with no fuss at all! Lobby area is lovely and the included breakfast a delight. This was one business hotel that I really did not want to leave and I will be back.

Room Tip: Top floor seems to have larger rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
BillFroh, Manager at Holiday Inn Johannesburg-Rosebank, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Many thanks for your positive and glowing review of Holiday Inn Johannesburg - Rosebank during your recent stay with us. I was pleased to note that you were satisfied with our services and in particular the interaction with our team members. The Rosebank Precinct has recently experienced a significant upgrade with many new restaurants and entertainment areas that appeal to many of our guests. The Gautrain has revitalised our area and is certailny convenient for all ouf our guests as it is right on our doorstep. I was also pleased to learn that we were able to return the lost property to yourself.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near futurwe.
Edinburgh
Reviewed 3 November 2011

We stayed here on the first night of our African holiday. We were very late arriving due to flight delays, however we were made to feel very welcome. Our bags were taken to our room and most importantly after a 13 hour flight the beds were very comfy.

Breakfast was delicious and we were well looked after by our waiter. In fact I had the best cup of coffee of my entire trip here. The hotel is in a good location and even has a small outdoor pool.

I'll stay here next time I'm in Johannesburg and hopefully for a bit longer.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Many thanks for your excellent review of our hotel. I was pleased to learn that you found everything to your satisfaction and that you were made to feel welcome. Our breakfast is one of the services that most of guests look forward to on a daily basis and we have received many comments regarding our restaurant. Our location is one of the features that many of our return guests find convenient and easy to reach.
We look forward to being of service to you in the future.