“This has been the greatest experience we had for a weekend getaway of spa treatments.”

Hands On Retreat Craighall
Ranked #3 of 296 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 28 June 2011

This has been the greatest experience we had for a weekend getaway of spa treatments. What a cold winter it has been and added with the satisfying service level; THAT brought the satisfaction we were really anticipating. Thanks for being so worth our rands. We will indeed spread the word about it. It brought the stress level to zero and I can't explain it further. Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Rooms face the garden & crossing river
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
HandsOn_10, Manager at Hands On Retreat Craighall, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
We are always glad to see your stress disappear; it’s a common effect here at Hands On. We hope to see you again next time you need to recharge.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I have stayed in a great many hotels all over the world, and this is one of the best, I had a warm welcome, friendly staff, the rooms were clean and tastefully decorated and had a microwave . The gardens where beautiful while I was there the roses where in full bloom, I will use this hotel on future trips.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Reading
Reviewed 1 September 2010

Hands on Retreat is different, small and very friendly. We were made to feel very welcome. The breakfast was beautifully prepared, real home cooking. We had a jacuzzi in our room which was lovely. The gardens were very peaceful and it was nice to listen to birdsong in a big city. Just the place for tired travellers to soothe their nerves. The complimentary shoulder massage was excellent. There is an excellent Italian restraurant just accross the road.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 9 days in June during the World Cup.

It was very well located & great as a base to reach all of the suburbs of Jo-burg, Rustenburg, Pretoria & Soweto for the games & also for game reserves & other points of local interest such as the aparthied museum.

It was very clean & had a nice family feel. Martina & Louis were a great couple & fantastic hosts, & nothing was too much trouble to organize, help or advise on.

As well as the accomodation, there was also various treatments on the property grounds & I enjoyed a great massage.

The grounds are well kept, secure & very peaceful & a nice placeto relax, read a book or just nod off in...

Overall, the Hands On Retreat & it's staff made my World Cup experience all the better, if only England could have done better in the competition it would have been a perfect trip!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Caracas
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I was in South Africa to cover the World Cup during June-July 2010, and a big part of the reason everything went great was the attention of Martina and everyone at Hands On Retreat. They went out of their way to help me and other colleagues during a long stay (37 days) and i can't be thankful enough. I first stayed at their self catering house two blocks away from the retreat, and then moved to the main guest house, and the attention was top notch. Nice and friendly environment, great breakfast, all the services you need. I also need to thank Martina's son, Alan, who watched over the people at the self catering house. He helped us with everything from an internet connection problem to a ride to Sandton when a taxi left us hanging. Hope to come back again one day, only for leisure, so i can get to know the few places i didn't get to visit this time around in this very nice city. Thanks again Martina and family, i will always have great things to say about Joburg and South Africa.

Carlos Avilan
Venezuela

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Mauritius
Reviewed 6 July 2010

The hotel is the perfect place for couples and for all those who want peace of mind. Your privacy is also very much respected.
Even though I got several chances of moving to other hotels I preferred staying at Hands on Retreat since the staffs their are so kind and nice, ready at anytime and in whatever way to please you, make you feel comfortable and warm.
My room was always clean and warm after a hard day at work and when I got sick everyone took great care of me.
The way I was taken care of could not have been better and I am very thankful to everyone there. It is not just a mere hotel.
The spa is the cherry on the top! I couldn't take advantage of it very often but the one time I did it sure made me feel cool and relaxed.
Thank you Hands on Retreat. You are the best!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My brother and I travelled to South Africa for the 2010 World Cup. Hands On Retreat is a good place to stay. Safety-wise, warm, friendly and helpful staffs and a cozy cottage-like ambience, which will definitely help a lot in your sleep every night.

• Stayed June 2010