“You could do so much better”
Review of The Reef Hotel

The Reef Hotel
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in Johannesburg
Reviewed 27 May 2013

It beggars belief how this hotel has managed to get a four star rating. As the walls bordering the passage and between rooms are made of drywall/plaster board just about every minute sound transmits into and out of the room. The toilet is separated from the rest of the room by only a partition that reaches only about 2/3rd up the height of the room. What's wrong with a properly enclosed toilet & bathroom that has a door that you can close? In the shower cubicle there is a flimsy strange leaf shaped contraption that you must stand on and which wobbles. Floor tiles would have worked much bettet. The room I stayed in had the hot & cold water incorrectly labelled. The hotel's decor is thematically based on gold reef mining so internationally incorporates a rustic look. However, sometimes the rustic look is completely unintentional. Take for example the visible damage from damp to the bathroom partition wall in my room, or the exposed wires & hole connecting the lights in the bathroom, or the patched up drywall next to the toilet. This hotel has no gym or swimming pool and you have to pay for the Internet.
Johannesburg is a large city with so many options. You would be crazy to want to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank GoneThough

Reviewed 17 March 2013

This hotel looks like a normal 3stars european hotel. Service is nothing special. R200 for a 500mb internet connection are ridicolous !
Unbearable noise during the night because of the thin glass, even on the seventh floor.

Room Tip: top floors in order to reduce the noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Matteoadriano
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My family and I overnighted here on the way to Durban and found it very comfortable. The service was excellent, in particular the Travel Desk which took us to Johannesburg Zoo for the day ! We were a bit disappointed that the main restaurant was closed for Boxing Day however

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Rooms are clean and modern. Walls are paper thin. Both nights staying here were kept awake by loud guests in the halls and nearby rooms at all hours of the night. We ate in the restaurant the first night, rood was nice. Service from wait staff was friendly but lacking. When time to pay bill there were no staff members to be found. Room service was a joke. Called number provided to be rudely told to go to reception. Went to reception to find at 5pm that neither kitchen was open and food wouldn't be ready until after 6. Our order finally arrived close to 7 and was barely warm and the cheese platter was without and crackers. I went back to reception to get some them. Waited for 20-30 mins for them to be brought up to the room. The deadlock on the room doors do not work, house keeping knocked once at 4pm then proceeded to override the deadlock and enter with next to no notice. The overall appearance of the hotel is nice but general service is quite poor. The hotel did not feel tourist welcome or friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Arty81
Reviewed 9 August 2012

TERRIBLE stay, TERRIBLE service. The internet wasn't working when I arrived; I called reception and they said they'd take care of it and call me back in a few minutes. 90 minutes later, I had to call them, and oops! The tech just left! Call back tomorrow? (Eventually came back on its own halfway through the stay.) Getting the room cleaned - basic things like TP added and congealing room service trays taken away - took many calls/in-person visits to reception over a period of several hours. I was told I'd put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door when in fact, I never had one in my room to begin with (nor handsoap, nor a room service menu, etc.) The room heater unit was broken while it was literally snowing outside. After a night spent sleeping in coat and trousers but still waking up shivering, it took 3 pleading conversations with reception to get someone to look at it. He came, played with a few buttons, said he'd "be right back" and disappeared for hours. Had to call reception AGAIN to get them to convince him to come back. He initially assumed it was fine because when he pressed the remote, the screen lit up.

Finally, it was agreed that my heater was broken and if I had to stay in that room another night I'd leave (I was reserved for two more nights), so they moved me to a different room. However, the incompetent staff didn't change it in the computer, so they checked someone else into the room I was staying in - resulting in three (understandably!) irate strangers (men) barging in on me sleeping at midnight and being very confused/hostile as to why I was in "their" room! Called the front desk, who said they had no idea who I was, and were sending a security team to question me about why I was in "their" room. Finally got it sorted out, got back to sleep, but woke up at 7AM to a power failure ONLY IN MY ROOM. After a patronizing phone call with reception to ascertain whether I was in fact capable of operating light switches and electricity in general correctly, they sent a manager to "check things out," who also tried flipping all the light switches before agreeing, yes, it was not working.

I was so fed up I checked out, to their total shock. The manager walked with me to another nearby hotel (NOT belonging to the same hotel group!) so I could tell him the whole story, and became the FIRST person to really apologize. He said he would send my luggage to the new hotel right away. They never did; calls to check on it led to them curtly disavowing ANY knowledge of it ever existing, until the concierge of my lovely *new* hotel personally sent a porter over with a physical description. It was beside the front desk.

I wish I had a time machine so I could un-stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Meg H
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We’re only staying in Joburg for one night and we’re looking for a hotel that offered a good price, a good and clean room and that was located next to the airport or to the attractions we wanted to visit.
With this in mind, the hotel was a good choice for us.
The location was perfect for us as we wanted to be next to Soccer City and the Apartheid Museum. Also, the room was very new and looked nice, clean, with a good and comfy bed. The transfer service was great.
Although it was a good value for us, we had some problems in our stay. Our internet didn't work and the night staff wasn't able or willing to fix it. The night staff also tried to arrange for us an non-authorized driver when we asked for the service instead of contacting the official service offered by the hotel. When we checked in we were asked to pay for the room even though we`ve a book with booking.com. We paid in the hotel and after we received an "no-show" e-mail from booking.com telling us that the cancelation fee was going to be charged. We're able to solve this problem with booking.com, but it was a very bad act from the hotel. Also the hotel didn’t offered a taxi service but only drivers,. For us, it worked very well as the driver as very good and we didn’t want to worry about transport.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flavia B
Reviewed 25 June 2012

With this in mind, the hotel was a good choice for us.
The location was perfect for us as we wanted to be next to Soccer City and the Apartheid Museum, but you can't walk around at night. Also, the room was very new and looked nice, clean, with a good and comfy bed. The bathroom didn't have a door to separate it from the bedroom. The transfer service was great.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments
Westpoint Executive Suites
Westpoint Executive Suites
#19 of 66 in Johannesburg
Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite

Been to The Reef Hotel? Share your experiences!