If you are visiting Gauteng area for business, this may not be a bad choice. It is right in the middle of the business district...just two streets away from the office I visited while in Jo'burg.
1. It is generally neat; I like the look and feel of the hotel. The ceiling will however make you wonder if you were put in a room that was only near completion - I had to check the hotel pamphlet to convince myself that this was not the case. However, I got used to it after the second day.
2. It was cost effective as I did not have to spend money on the rather costly cabs in the area.
3. The hotel caters for the classy traveller in its restaurant on the third floor; and theclassy-rugged traveller in its Goldmine cafe on the ground floor.
4. The staff were ready to help - making an effort and were friendly too. I was quite pleased with their service.
1. The hotel is located in the business district which is not a very safe place early morning, in the evening and during weekends. We were warned so many times to be careful with our laptops and to move in groups. We were too afraid to go out for walks in the evening and during weekends for fear of being assaulted as the area was deserted during these times.
2. The hotel does not have a gym, swimming pool or spa. I understand that business persons may be the clientele...but business persons also have a life outside laptops and conference/board rooms. There should at least be a gym and spa to relax nerves after a hard day's work.
3. The WIFI was very poor. I felt like I logged on a million times before the end of the evening. I have been to a guest house before and the WIFI did not even blink from the day we checked in to the day we checked out.
4. The toilet was nice - but I asked other colleagues (seven of them) if they had bath tubs in their bedrooms and they all said no. I think a bath tub helps one make very good business decisions; period. Also, the shower is in a cubicle but the toilet is not...I wouldn't want to share a room with anyone under such circumstances!
Generally, the price for the hotel is not so bad...but a lot more added value will make it a nice place to stay For now, it is not homely. For business, I may return but for anything else, I doubt.
Hope this helps you make a choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 4-star Reef Hotel is a 5-minute drive from Johannesburg's City Hall. It has an on-site restaurant and modern guest rooms with satellite TV and individual decor. Rooms at Reef Hotel feature floor-to-ceiling black and white photos. Each has a sitting area with a large satellite TV. The private bathroom offers a separate bathtub and shower in a deluxe room and a shower only in a standard room. Reef Hotel's restaurant uses fresh, seasonal ingredients to prepare both South African and international cuisine. The hotel's in-house bar offers South African wine, international champagne and has panoramic views of Johannesburg. The Apartheid Museum is a 5 minute drive from Reef Hotel. Many of Johannesburg's art galleries are also nearby. Complimentary shuttle is available within a 5KM radius subject to availability. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Reef Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.