The Reef Hotel
Clico Boutique Hotel(Johannesburg)
US$215
US$191
Priceline
Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$78
US$55
Hotwire.com
All reviewsrooftop barhomestead restaurantsun deckthe ground floorjohannesburg cbdinner cityhotel staffroom servicerooms are cleanenjoyed my stayhotel is locatedeasy accessgandhijozileisuresafetyvenue
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Checked in very late at night but was warmly received by Onward who made me feel really welcome. The room had excellent decor and a comfortable single bed just as I had requested.

Despite my charger been different from the sockets in the room, there was 1 square socket that I could use thus did not need to request for an adapter.

Breakfast was an elaborate affair and very good, I thoroughly enjoyed it and to crown it all, there is free wifi :-)

Room Tip: Try the 15th floor rooms, they present an excellent view of the city
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2013

It gives something to gloat about, you just cannot stop telling others how heavenly the hotel is. Such an excellent place one day is one day i'll go n spend my two weeks with my family and my school partners as i am a tourism student i really need to know more about the hotel

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. The a/c which works as heater as well did not work on 1st night and my room was changed inwhich the heater was working. My reviews about THE REEF:

Area: A business district which turns dead when offices close. Walking ditance to Gandhi Square butwas not recommended to go anywhere by walk especially in the darkness.

Room: not big but comfortable to sleep. I stayed there on weekend and a holiday when hotel had very less guests hence did not hear neighbors. Hotel staff is very nice, polite and helpful. The shower cabin is small for big bodies or for couples who want to shower together! Yes, the toilet n shower are not separated by door from sleeping area - I did not like it. It has coffee/tea maker.

Food: Breakfast was in 2 different buffets and prices + some items only as á la carte but the one I took for 55 ZAR was worth. I dined twice at their restaurant on ground floor and food was good. They have a socalled FINE DINING restaurant on 3rd floor which looked nice but had only european dishes which I wasnot looking for.

There is a secured parking but good for small cars. It is a OK place to stay however the area restrict your activities..... anyhow Joburg is a business city!

Room Tip: Choose a room on higher floor and not on roadside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MSingh G
Reviewed 19 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you are visiting Gauteng area for business, this may not be a bad choice. It is right in the middle of the business district...just two streets away from the office I visited while in Jo'burg.

Pros:

1. It is generally neat; I like the look and feel of the hotel. The ceiling will however make you wonder if you were put in a room that was only near completion - I had to check the hotel pamphlet to convince myself that this was not the case. However, I got used to it after the second day.

2. It was cost effective as I did not have to spend money on the rather costly cabs in the area.

3. The hotel caters for the classy traveller in its restaurant on the third floor; and theclassy-rugged traveller in its Goldmine cafe on the ground floor.

4. The staff were ready to help - making an effort and were friendly too. I was quite pleased with their service.

Cons:

1. The hotel is located in the business district which is not a very safe place early morning, in the evening and during weekends. We were warned so many times to be careful with our laptops and to move in groups. We were too afraid to go out for walks in the evening and during weekends for fear of being assaulted as the area was deserted during these times.

2. The hotel does not have a gym, swimming pool or spa. I understand that business persons may be the clientele...but business persons also have a life outside laptops and conference/board rooms. There should at least be a gym and spa to relax nerves after a hard day's work.

3. The WIFI was very poor. I felt like I logged on a million times before the end of the evening. I have been to a guest house before and the WIFI did not even blink from the day we checked in to the day we checked out.

4. The toilet was nice - but I asked other colleagues (seven of them) if they had bath tubs in their bedrooms and they all said no. I think a bath tub helps one make very good business decisions; period. Also, the shower is in a cubicle but the toilet is not...I wouldn't want to share a room with anyone under such circumstances!

Generally, the price for the hotel is not so bad...but a lot more added value will make it a nice place to stay For now, it is not homely. For business, I may return but for anything else, I doubt.

Hope this helps you make a choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business