“Africa tour”

Ranked #26 of 68 Hotels in Johannesburg
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Africa tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel is perfectly situated in the midst of Johannesburg. Reception friendly and helpfull and as a bonus you have a consierge Henry in the lobby downstairs who is worth every rand you can spare to guide you through the basics of City.

Room Tip: As high as you can.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Androboho
Iain T, General Manager at The Reef Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for the great review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Reef Hotel.

I will pass on the kind words to Henri about his exceptional service.

We look forward to hosting you, on your next trip to Johannesburg.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Arabic first
Ceres, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Having worked on the mines for many years during my youth it was great to be transported back in time and experience the mining ambiance again. The experience was pleasant although somewhat on the minimalist side.
On a business trip one expects a clean room, crisp bedding and sanitary ablutions. Service must be friendly and efficient whilst food must be wholesome and sufficient. On all these counts the Reef Hotel passes with flying colours. Iain the Manager impresses with his accessibility, passion and friendliness. The only word of warning is reserved for access to the parking area where your driving skills are pushed to the max due to the narrow passages. Enjoy your stay and don't forget to observe the mix of Joburg central architecture from the comfort of your room. Old, new, revived, patched, lit up... very interesting.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Iain T, General Manager at The Reef Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We are very glad that you enjoyed the look and feel, as well as the service at The Reef Hotel. You are certainly not the first person to comment on our "tricky parking", so we have attained additional parking bays over the road from the hotel that are much more accessible.

W look forward to having you back soon.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

In contrast to some of the previous reviews, I found my stay at the Reef Hotel unexpectedly comfy and luxurious. The staff from the very moment I stepped in were welcoming and accommodating, from the door man to the restaurant and bar manager. Any thing I needed they were there. I asked where some good tourist locations would be and I received in depth descriptions about a variety of options. Then upon my departure they stored my bags well after I checked out so that I could explore the city. They also helped me to find a cab and were efficient to get my bags from my room and loaded into the vehicle. The only complaint I had was that there was no shampoo or conditioner for the shower but that is about as much as I could find to critique. I was completely taken care of during my Stay at the Gold Reef Hotel and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an affordable 4-star hotel in the center of Johannesburg.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for the kind words and recommendations to fellow travelers. As a hotel we pride ourselves on friendly efficient service, so it is good to hear we hit the mark with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Klerksdorp, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely comfortable, modern rooms with great linen. Walls are paper thin so if you are staying on a night where the hotel is fully booked, or on a night where the hotel is running a concert deal as we did, brace yourself to possibly being placed next door to a very drunk, rowdy crowd. We were very very unhappy the night of the Santana concert where the guests in the room next door were making inconsiderate noise all hours of the night. (This was our 3rd visit to this establishment) Upon complaining to reception 3 times from about 1am to 4am - we heard reception/security come up to room next door to ask them to keep it down but this request was not adhered to. We phoned reception twice after this with no avail. The next morning at check-out when I raised this issue again with person on duty all I was told is that they greatly apologise. After an evening of no sleep at all, an apology does not suffice. We vowed to never visit this hotel again. BUT, never say never, we have booked at this hotel again for this coming December so experience will speak for itself. Purely due to the fact that the hotel is of a good standard at an affordable price.

Parking is very very narrow... guests with medium to large cars need to be warned about narrow driveways. Parking isn't a pleasure.
The food, on the other hand, was highly enjoyable and I would enjoy supper or breakfast at this establishment again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed the hotel enough, to make a return visit, but we apologise that your sleep was disturbed due to some loud partygoers. We are looking at the soundproofing between certain of the rooms, but please contact me personally iain@africanskyhotels.com when you make your next booking, and we will ensure that you have a quiet secluded room, as well as a great nights sleep.
Fes, Morocco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

This hotel was pretty good value and very comfortable. It was close to the Apartheid Museum (5-10 min taxi) and easily arranged transport with very wonderful drivers/guides. The staff was incredibly nice.

My only critique would be the bathroom, which was open (no door, just a wall) and not very private.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Iain T, General Manager at The Reef Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Good day and thank you very much for the positive feedback regarding your stay at The Reef Hotel.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay so much, as well as finding our staff very friendly and helpful.

we look forward to having you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The staff were not warm at all. Nobody ever smiled at us and our room was freezing. We complained that the temperature control in our room was not working and it took them 30 mins to send someone to have a look. Then the engineer came in and confirmed that it was not working and he would try and change us rooms. After 45 mins of not hearing anything I went to reception and they told us that they only had a room with 2 single beds. When I told the receptionist that I was staying with my girlfriend and this would not be acceptable, he told me the whole place was booked up and they had no other rooms available. This hotel has 14 floors and found this impossible to believe but they would only give me this room. They told me they were moving me 4 floors up so we packed up all our things and waited 15 minds for our porter to come and show us to our new room, but he took us literary to the other side of the hallway. All of the staff were unhelpful and did nothing to make us feel welcome or comfortable. The room they moved us to had such thin walls that we could hear everything the couple were doing next door (I won't go into details). Also, it made no sense to me why a room with 2 single beds would have a open wash room area. It was fine for me as I was staying with my girlfriend but I don't get why if you are sleeping separately from someone you would want to hear and smell them on the bog. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are going as two people sleeping separately then this place is not for you.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kunal R
Good Day

Although you did not have a good experience, we are grateful for you taking the time to review The Reef Hotel, as we need feedback in order to improve our service.

I can only apologize about the confusion regarding your room, air conditioning and subsequent room move. Any excuses I give, would make no difference, and the bottom line is that we did not meet your expectations.

One of the features of our bedrooms, is the open plan bathrooms, but we have taken note of your comments will make sure we communicate this better going forward.

I would also like to take this opportunity to contact me directly at iain@africanskyhotels.com, we would like to invite you back so that we can show you that this incident is definitely not the norm.
Lagos State, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My company confidence media concept limited has been using Reef hotel for the past few years. Their service has also been excellent. The staffs at Reef are very nice, Facilities are 4 star and food is excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Good Day

Thank you for taking the time to review The Reef Hotel, and for your kind words.

We are happy that you have found the Reef Hotel such a good place to stay, over such a long period of time. We strive to offer the highest standards to our guests and it is always pleasing when we succeed over a consistent period.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
Faircity Mapungubwe Hotel Apartments
Genesis All-Suite Hotel
#13 of 68 in Johannesburg
Palm Continental Hotel - Johannesburg
Crowne Plaza Johannesburg - The Rosebank

Been to The Reef Hotel? Share your experiences!