“A convenient location”
Review of Foxwood House

Foxwood House
Ranked #47 of 305 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Foxwood house is very conveniently situated for access to Sandton, the city and Rosebank. Large choice of restaurants close by or you can eat in. Service very welcoming and friendly, with lots of enthusiasm and helpfulness. The suites are comfortable and depending on the one you choose, garden views.

Rather quaint garden with very large old trees, peacocks, swans and ducks make for a different sort of experience.

Good conference facilities as well.

Dinner is a limited menu, but adequate.

Room Tip: A geword the rooms are quite dark and cold as they are set amidst large trees, avoid them.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Magriet11

Reviewed 3 September 2013

in Johannesburg there is a lot of new money, flashy spots with modern decor and ambiance to match. then there is Foxwood House...The stately house from the Art Nouveau period is surrounded by huge gardens filled with peacocks, ducks and birds. The interior if filled with antiques and collectables and has a wonderful ambiance.
The rooms are well equipped with every mod con but nothing beats the restful, quiet space of the garden. Tolkien could have lived here! The owners will give you personal attention and care..a must when you visit Johannesburg.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank elzilda
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I spent 2 days in Johannesburg and my first experience at Foxwood House was wow. tranquility like it is supposed to look in Cape Town but doesn't. I have since been up and down to Johannesburg all of 5 times and that is the only place i will stay at.

The rooms are great fitted with Aircon, LCD Tv, full package DSTV, internet connection etc.
there is a Theatre on the premises, shopping mall walking distance, and access to major highways all less than 2min drive away. the convenience alone is an attraction.

Unfortunately all my trips were business trips so not much playtime to take in the many features of Foxwood House. The staff are extra friendly and everyone makes you feel welcome no matter what time you arrive, with me it was always odd hours.

i regularly have to remind myself that this is a business trip so i can get on with the job at hand.

Room Tip: Choose one of the outside rooms if possible else any room will do.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank David9007
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I have stayed in this place so many times now and I will come back soon again. The staff are wonderful and very helpful. Just ask them and they fix it immediately. The food is excellent, no matter if it is breakfast. dinner or lunch. The rooms are spacious and very nice decorated.
After a hectic day it's nice to come "home" and all the stress just goes away. Sitting in the lovely garden sipping a glass of Chardonnay is just heaven. This is definitely my home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Birgit B
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I was quite surprised at a particularly vitriolic review regarding Foxwood House pertaining to the Christmas lunch (2012). As we are all aware when travelling, no venue can ever be 'all things to all people'. It all depends on what you are looking for and one would do well to carefully choose the environment you require. Yes, the food was not what you would expect at a 5 star specialist gourmet restaurant (I was also a guest at this luncheon), but the fare was well presented, very tasty, wholesome, generous and the service was relaxed and intimate. I chose Foxwood House because I do not enjoy the noise and 'glitz' of the many Sandton venues, I prefer to sit in a lush natural garden setting as I live in a complex. When I travel and have a bruising schedule, this is the type of hotel I search for.

Foxwood House has a historical setting and the bird-life is fascinating. Do not expect a hi-tech pub or any loud entertainment. That being said, Foxwood House has always been a great supporter of excellent South African artists. The theatre hosts performances (and premieres) by many top South African actors/musicians and it is also the home of Opera Africa's Young Artist Concert Series. It is also the setting for numerous television arts programs. When booking a conference at this venue you can also arrange entertainment in the theatre, if that is what you want.

If this is the environment you require, Foxwood House is the best choice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mike F
foxwoodhousesa, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Mike F, I am truly grateful for such a beautifully written review, in terms of style and content. All my staff would like me to thank you - and so do I - for the time and effort you have taken to write and post your review. We are doing our best, mostly to a highly sophisticated clientele who appreciate the rural simplicity, beautiful surroundings and solidly presentable fare. One of our chefs - Loveness Ndlovu - has earned high praise from former President Mandela's personal chef. We take pride in an unpretentious quality approach not vying for first place with the top Michelin restaurants, as you appeared to have noticed, but presenting the best beef fillet and Karoo lamb stew in town (or so do we believe!). Many thanks, once again. Pieter de Vos (Owner)

Reviewed 15 January 2013

We chose Foxwood House for Christmas Lunch but were very disappointed with the food. We arrived at 13h00 and were seated under the trees in the garden which was pleasant as it was a hot day. The set menu was priced at R400 per person however the selection of food did not live up to such a premium.

The starter buffet had three basic salads. A shredded beetroot and butternut salad, a Confetti salad, which was nothing more than a pile of red cabbage, and a boiled prawn tail salad with little more than iceberg lettuce and some other salad ingredients. All of which were bland and had no flavour. The only plus was the prawn salad had a sufficient amount of good sized queen prawns!

We were served a bottle of rose sparking wine which was enjoyable despite the fact that we were rashioned to two glasses each.

Main course was a disaster! A buffet of overcooked fillet, accompanied by a mushroom "sauce" which was more like a chopped mushroom paste with a swirl of cream, kingklip with a ghastly luminous yellow sauce and roast turkey with dried apricot stuffing - which was dry beyond belief. When asked by the lady running the restaurant if I was happy I told her emphatically that I was not explaining that the kingklip sauce made the fish inedible and the fillet was overcooked. Her response was as bland as the food and she told me the yellow sauce was a saffron sauce and not for everybody! All I can say is dishwater has tasted better! She then attempted to blame the overcooked fillet on me arriving late which I did not appreciate as 13h00 is the time I had booked for.

The desert buffet was equally appalling. Fresh fruit salad & cream, really, at R400 ahead? A cheesecake topped with strawberries, which was the only acceptable desert, albeit it did not "shoot the lights out" by any manner or means. Traditional Christmas pudding with brandy sauce which was vile.

Coffee and friandise was supposed to round off the meal however were were charged extra for ordering Irish coffee and were not brought any friandise.

All in all a Christmas lunch to forget!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Swissfly
foxwoodhousesa, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

We are astounded by the response. All our guests at the meal were exceptionally happy and satisfied with the value for money they received, and we have had guests attending the Xmas lunch sending us photos of their groups and thanking us for the wonderful afternoon. I approached this specific group - a beautiful young mother, young man, baby and a person we assumed to be the grandmother - once or twice to find out if they were happy. The young woman assured me they were, and nobody else at the table commented.

I do not know what the motive for the vitriolic attack may be, but I find aspects of it exceptionally distasteful. The comments about the bubbly - a high quality well chilled South African sparkling wine served to all our guests, given to all as a gift from management and not charged for - being one of them.

This group arrived execptionally late for the buffet. To enjoy a buffet, timely arrival is essential.
The list of poisonous comments are too long to address, but our other guests on the patio I have spoken to believe these comments do not warrant a response.

Reviewed 6 October 2012

I travel extensively to Johannesburg on business and being so tired of the usual Sandton hotels was keen to try this guest house recommended by work colleagues. I was impressed with ability to check in early on day of arrival for 3 night stay. There was however little evidence of actual staff at reception when I checked in; reception is in fact the messy guest house office; Dominique does his best to just about singlehandedly manage the place; check in, dinner, laundry, breakfast. My room, Jessie's Room, was massive comprising a TV snug, small dining area and kitchen and a massive bedroom with doors onto an enclosed paved area and en suite bathroom. The grounds are mostly laid out to garden with many (overgrown and poorly lit at night) paths to get to main house from the outlying bedrooms. I got the impression that perhaps the theatre and conference facilities take precedence at Foxwood but that was before I got to see and hear the wildlife! The ducks 'own' the swimming pool which together with lack of privacy of the pool situation did not make it very inviting at all! Finally, if you want a decent night's sleep do not stay here; the peacocks start their shrieking at 5am in the morning. Breakfast was good and we also enjoyed dinner one night in the 'intimate' dining room which is part of the historic house on the property.

Room Tip: A colleague of mine had much less attractive room right at the back of the property. It was very no...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank GCR484
foxwoodhousesa, Owner at Foxwood House, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Dear Grant All comments are greatly appreciated. Dominique is delighted - though his colleagues feel their roles have possibly not been recognized - Loveness and Clinton, our two chefs, Dominique's colleague Sam, the cleaning staff Thandi, Cynthia and Mavis etc etc! Dominique is surprised that you haven't told him about the peacocks during your stay - which is a pity as we could easily have moved you to a suite not as close to the tree which the peacocks frequent during the mating season.
They are as you know birds that cannot be dictated to, and certainly do not consider themselves Foxwood property. They belong to the neighbourhood (if "belong" they can!) With 2 and a half acres of gardens, and many ancient trees they are attracted to our property at night. Even if we could keep them away, there would be an outcry from many of our regular clients, who love the ducks, the peacocks, the guinea-fowl - and the swans we have recently added to our menagerie!

At night, Tony Ndlovu lighst the pathways with torches and candles, and the patio under the oaks with fairy lights - possibly not as effective as other lighting options - but the gardens will lose so much of their romantic appeal in the glare of harsh lighting. The intention is to delight our guests - not to make them feel neglected! We do regret it if you were feeling sidelined by the choice of lighting.

Kind regards. Pieter de Vos (Owner)