“Comfortable”

12 Decades Art Hotel
Ranked #71 of 299 Johannesburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Singer and songwriter - Natalie Chapman had completed a tour consisting of 90 Performances in 90 Consecutive Days in 90 Different Towns and her last performance was at POPArt THEATRE in Maboneng Precinct. I drove from Durban to Johannesburg to see Natalie's final show and my accommodation of choice was 12 Decades Art Hotel. The hotel is above the POPArt Theatre and close to all the restaurants. My room was clean and comfortable and I would certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
UrbanHipHotels, General Manager at 12 Decades Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Good Morning

Fantastic to hear that you had experienced a very pleasant stay with us. Positive comments always have the ability to inspire staff to go the extra mile and thank you for taking time in writing your review.

I trust that we shall definitely see you again in the near future.

There are newer reviews for 12 Decades Art Hotel

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Very warm and peaceful environment, friendly and eager to assist staff. Lovely scenarios and an imposing works of art. Being situated in the middle of "main street life" brings every moment alive. Great experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Good Morning

A sincere and appreciative thank you for your positive feedback regarding your stay with us. It is always refreshing to get positive comments and it really inspires us as staff to go the extra mile.

First impressions are lasting ones and I trust that with your experience at our hotel, we shall certainly welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

If you like to stay around market / Jeppe Street, stay there. The Hotel is nice, clean and a good place to see the real life in the neighborhood. Some very nice restaurants are in walking distance. Keep in mind that the area is still growing and some places are only open from Thursdays - Sunday. The hotel itself is much cheaper than other hotels like in Sandton etc. but the rooms are safe and nicely decorated. Parking / Garage is a little bit weird, but as already said... still growing...give it a try if you like!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Good Morning

Thank you firstly for taking the time in providing us with positive feedback. Yes, the Maboneng Precinct is growing in stature and we are very proud to be part of it. The Hotel is also slightly different than the norm of hotel rooms and this definitely adds to the vibe of the area.

It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay at our hotel and I am very pleased that you had experienced a memorable one with us.

We certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed 11 May 2014

If you're looking for something different, this is the place to go. If you're looking for a traditional hotel, just don't.
12 Decades is an urban hip art hotel with different themed apartment style rooms. The rooms we're tidy and spacious with nice details. Art is featured throughout the building.
Staff was kind and helpful. The only downside was wifi, but then again I struggled with that throughout my whole trip in SA.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
UrbanHipHotels, General Manager at 12 Decades Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Good Morning

Thank You for your positive feedback. Always fantastic to receive reviews on how guests view our establishment.

Yes the feel is definitely urban hip and that is what it makes it so unique and different.
With reference to your WiFi, location of the building can sometimes be challenging and yes we're looking at ways to improve connectivity.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is overrated. It is located in a bad part of Johannesburg. There is no access to Wifi but instead you have to walk five minutes to the closest place that have internet. When we drove out of the garage the staff dropped the bar at our car and they didn't even apologize.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
UrbanHipHotels, General Manager at 12 Decades Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Good Morning

Thank you firstly for your constructive feedback. In our line of business it is important to know both positive and negative aspects for in doing so we can rectify where possible, the shortcomings that you had experienced with your recent stay at our establishment.

With reference to the unfortunate incident regarding the boom that was dropped at your car, I have taken this matter up with the relevant company concerned and I trust that with the reiteration of expectations from all staff concerned, it shan't happen again.

Thanks once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Just got back from a week's business trip and there was a lot I liked about my stay at 12 Decades. I wanted somewhere safe, clean and unique to stay in between work meetings. 12 Decades is more like the experience of renting a flat on a short term basis than staying in a hotel, and that suited me just fine. If you want room service and a concierge, and a maid (really, do people still use that term in a South African hospitality context?!) and the like, you may want to look elsewhere. I liked my room; alot. It had most of what I needed.

The downs - barely enough light at night. All it needs are higher wattage and/or working bulbs, and no red covers on the bedside lamps. The in room phones didn't seem to work either, which, if you needed them in an emergency, was an issue. And the safes didn't work. The hotel could be made more secure but given events during my stay, I'm sure they'll get right on that.

All that said, I like the hotel. The receptionists were all quite "laid back" but always friendly and helpful. Apart from failing to get the safe sorted, they were always friendly and answered all the questions I asked (the rooftop bar is closed because it created too much noise, the gym is actually a boxing thing, where I could get laundry done, pay for the internet, etc.).

I like the fact that you have to get out into the community to eat, drink, get stuff done, and that you make a contribution to more than the folks that own the hotel. It really feels like the hotel owners want to contribute not only to themselves, but the community as a whole. Once you get over the fact that urban development is always going to mean displacing someone, that can only be a good thing. If you want room service and lounges and a swimming pool, head for the suburbs. If you want character and a proper urban feel, stay at 12 Decades.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
UrbanHipHotels, Manager at 12 Decades Art Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Good Morning

Thank you for your valuable feedback, both on the positive and constructive side. Positivity about an establishment always boosts pride and commitment of staff and it allows us once again to go the extra mile.

Regarding the feedback on lighting, telephones and the safes in the room, thank you, the process had immediately begun to get it all sorted and back in " tip-top shape".

We look forward to welcoming you back in the vicinity and at our Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel but nearly nothing about how it's executed worked well. First of all, it's not really a hotel - it's a series of rooms in a restored warehouse/loft-type building. Hotel means there is a concierge, working internet, room service, maid service, someone at the reception desk, and a parking space available for guests. 12 Decades had none of those things ... there wasn't even anyone at the reception desk when we arrived and when we finally checked in and went to park our car, the car park was empty but I was told that I couldn't park in any of the spots. The art is cool, the rooms are well-decorated, and the proximity to Arts on Main is great, just don't expect too much in terms of hospitality. Also, the much talked about roof top bar looks abandoned and there is nothing up there besides a view of downtown Johannesburg. I know the New York Times says to go here, but it still has a long way to go. It has so much potential though!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Poppy510
Also consider these accommodations in or near Johannesburg
The Reef Hotel
#33 of 66 in Johannesburg
Curiocity Backpackers
Curiocity Backpackers
#3 of 117 in Johannesburg

Been to 12 Decades Art Hotel? Share your experiences!