“High expectations”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Again I am disappointed with a popular, highly rated restaurant! Atmosphere was very uptight, service was almost non existent, I constantly needed to get the waiters attention to get service and the food was bland, I had the salmon special which, on the menu sounded complex and delicious but in reality was neither!

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We always have a great evening dining out at Thomas Maxwell's Bistro. The place is elegently decorated yet still maintains it's warmth and vibe. Service is sharp and waitrons know their menus well. The food is of excellent quality, tasty and fresh.. living up to true bistro style dining. The view of the kitchen is done well. However, a menu change every once in a while will be appreciated.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

It has an excellent reputation so I was very excited to go. It did not disappoint. The food was excellent. The service was warm and casual, which does not usually come together when the food is intended to be fine dining. I did not find it pretentious at all, but maybe the pretentious folk weren't working when I was there :)

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I love the setting. Its very different to most other restaurants - a bit bohemian - uncomplicated. The food is excellent. I have been there twice now and it will take a long time before I have tried most dishes on the menu. I did not like the seating at the door. On a cold winter's night you are going to freeze every time the door opens to let people in. There is not enough parking. On my last visit I had to park around the block. It can be a problem late at night in Johannesburg. Having said that - this restaurant is on my list of favourites with Roots, La Cucina di Ciro and Casalinga

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We arrived at 730 and before we had finshed our main courses we were told at 9pm that we should order deserts because the kitchen was closing. The starter of courgette chip salad was so greasy and uncrisp that it was inedible, the prawn main course was very average however the wasabi beef was good however at the prices changed the meal was on the whole not acceptable. When we were offered desserts we declined but checked to ensure that we could get a coffee once we had finished our main and we were told this wouldnt be a problem. At 930 we were told that the coffee machine had been turned off, after complaining it was switched on again, sadly it was impossible to unscrew a bottle of whisky at the same time. Coffees were enjoyed while a never ending stream of restaurant staff collected their jackets from the cupboard located directly behind our table, none of whom said excuse me or were too concerned about bumping our table. We left at 10pm and definitely wont be back as clearly we would be keeping them up.

2  Thank Ionam