The Residence Boutique Hotel
Travelocity
54 on Bath(Johannesburg)
US$243
US$238
The Reef Hotel(Johannesburg)(Great Value!)
US$84
US$80
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe penthouserolls roycehot tubpiano barpool villamadiba suiteprivate deckturn down serviceattention to detailkoi pondnespresso machinestayed longerlittle touchesmoment you arriveresidential areahour flightsmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The hotel, clearly is a masterpiece. The service is brilliant, the staff has an answer to everything. The amenities in the room are breathtaking- several fancy gadgets, free mini bar, gourmet coffee, world-class cosmetics and many more things. The lobby area of the hotel is full of interesting curios, artifacts, paintings, books, etc- one could spend a whole day admiring each of these. There is a spa, a tennis court (!!) and two pools. Breakfast is an experience that cannot be described- the quality of the food and of the service is better than anywhere we have seen.

Yet, the hotel is also a miniature. There are only a few rooms, the size of the room is not very big. The starwells, alleys and corridors are all quite small. The size of the gym is about the same as a usual hotel bathroom. Everything is very, very well done and well thought of, but sadly we felt somewhat cramped with the lack of some open spaces which one is used to while staying in a hotel with 5 star rating. It is, in fact an excellent residence but not really a hotel.

The location of the hotel is also not very great- we had our own car so for us it was easy to reach and move out. the hotel is located in a residential area, i think one of the posh areas of Johannesburg where a lot of consulates and politician's houses are also located. There is no commercial or tourist spot that one can reach by walking, and not much of a view of the city life, crowd or skyline.

Room Tip: Take some extra time to savour the breakfast- worth it!
1  Thank NG42
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your review. We really do appreciate it. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide our guests with the best experience possible, even if that means recommending a larger city centred hotel which might have met your requriements.
We wish you all the very best for 2013.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 19 February 2013

What a wonderful hotel. Recommended by a colleague I was tentative - Johannesburg is not exactly short on good hotels. However this is an outstanding hotel - they don't miss an opportunity to impress. The reasonableness of free soft drinks in the mini bar compared with like hotels charging ridiculous amounts, the outstanding breakfast which must meet all tastes, outstanding dinner menu at very reasonable prices and the very best turn down service. The rooms are outstanding - the ultimate in comfort. Staff could not be any better, not one of them. All at a very reasonable price. I spend many nights in Johannesburg each year and many of my colleagues do also. We now have a new base in Jozi. Can't wait to return!

1  Thank Leanne H
The Residence T, Owner at The Residence Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with such a lovely review. We really do appreciate it. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

This hotel deserves to be the nr1 in Joburg. It's an oases with all the comfort that you can wish for at a reasonable price and located just minutes from the central Joburg highway.
Here you will receive more than you wished for. When seating myself at the pool a complimentary fresh fruit platter was brought. Entering my room a soft music in the background. Outdoor shower and bath were placed in the patio of my room, but I understood that all rooms have their own extra's. Do not forget to visit the spa and to take a massage....

1  Thank tmaria v

Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate it and are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. All the very best for 2013 and hope to be of service to you again in the near future.
Kindest regards

Reviewed 16 February 2013

My girlfriend and myself spent two nights at The Residence in early January 2013, and were enormously delighted to find that the hotel lived up to, and sometimes surpassed, the numerous 5 star ratings found on the TripAdvisor and other such travel sights.

The experience, and that's what it is, an experience not a stay, is something out of Hollywood. From the moment you drive in, you are treated exqusitely - as if you are the hotels sole guest! Upon arrival, you are greeted by the doorman in his bowler hat, the concierge and a waiter with a refreshing array of welcome drinks.

You are efficiently taken on a brief tour of the establishment (useful), and escorted by the concierge to your room, where your luggage is already awaiting you. The room we stayed in had a handsome view of both the pool and the greenery that Houghton is famous for. The room lacks nothing, and the decor is exquisite, even when compared to other more expensive boutiques in Johannesburg, with Chandeliers; Persian carpets; walk-in closets and a luxurious bathroom...

The hotels restaurant is one of its hidden secrets, a true gem even when compared amongst the world class restaurants a stones throw away in Melrose and Sandton. Do yourselves a favor and try the hotel restaurant at least once whilst you stay here.

What impressed us most however was the staffs' attention to detail. My girlfriend felt a little under the weather on the Saturday night, and the staff genuinely made efforts to assist. More impressively, the day manager on the Sunday made genuine inquiries as to how my girlfriend was feeling, even though she was not there the night before! Truly left a great impression on us!

All in all, one of the best hotel visits we have ever had, and we can wholeheartedly recommend The Residence for any visit to Johannesburg.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Avibrij

Thank you so much for providing us with such a lovely review. We really do appreciate you taking the time to do so. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to be of serve to you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 February 2013

My team and I stayed here because we are a small team of 6. I took the time to research them and by the time we went we had even done a safety and security onsite assessment as per company requirements. Edgar ,one of the directors was such about all the scrutiny we were subjecting his presitigious facility to. From Sanet to Warren making the arrangements was so superbly and professionally handled.
We got there and : the pics had not done justice to the splendour and hospitality we experienced here. Even my admin staff got the best of rooms because that's just the way it is here.
Highlights for me:
1.Room variety ,bedding comfort + bathroom size
2. Music is all over - it follows you to the bathroom too(you can bring own CD's to compliment theirs.
3. The Skybar is where I want o have my next birthday with a few friends. This is where I had my Spa treatments - devine with music here as well to lull you to a peaceful snore
4.Lamps on the dinner menu!! ambience nice and dimmed but you see your menu very well. Awesome food too.
5. They sell beautiful lady items & jewellery in their small shop . We all took a piece of something lovely even though Sanet told us the best had already gone
6.The small Gym was much needed to work out the brain sweat we were there for
7. The tall guys in balck n white are the best - nowhere in thsi country of mine have I experienced such sterling professionalism and care - the trining is awesome.Martin,Daniel and the gut at the gate stand out for me
8.Fridges and high standard coffee machines in rooms
9. Outside showers [and baths in some suites]

The only things slightly negative I can ever say abt this perfect place :
-Charity needs to oversee that all rooms have had a turndown service by her ladies- my 1st night just did not have and she shrivelled poor lady when she learnt of that. Nite 2 I was v pleased to see how well they do this
-Irons in rooms is becoming a standard feuture in 5* establisment and it's not a huge cost
-I missed any Magazines/books in Room 5
-Food delivery to the tables could be faster
I am taking my family for a restful time and just so they feel how hospitality should be in our country.

Room Tip: Room 5 with a jacuzzi(have to walk outside though and if rainy a bit of a schlep but they have umbrellas)& 8 ARE QUITE SPECIAL. I hear the Penthouse and Madiba rooms are the best.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your fantastic review. We really do appreciate your kind words as well as your valuable comments. We continually strive to provide the best and look forward to welcoming you back to The Residence.