“Great vibe, great food”

Ranked #40 of 1,219 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Price range: US$1 - US$2
Cuisines: International, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Salvationcafe is a hidden gem in the middle of 44 Stanley; an oasis in the urban jungle of Joburg; a sanctuary amidst olive and leopard trees; a must-do for visitors and locals alike; a locals favorite with international allure. Come and enjoy an award-winning breakfast, a signature lunch (one of several) and a homemade dessert like our cheesecake of which customers often say it is "the best I have ever had". We invite you to come and try for yourself and share your experience on Trip Advisor. Buon Appetito!
Cape Town, South Africa
“Great vibe, great food”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My family and I had a great Sunday lunch here. It was our first time in 44 Stanley and we really enjoyed the vibe. The restaurant is very relaxed, with a good selection of dishes to suit out various tastes. Service was quite adequate, and the prices were very reasonable. All in all it was a very enjoyable lunch - we were back at 44 Stanley a few weeks later and nearly went back to Salvationcafe, but decided to try another restaurant for variety sake only; next time I think we will go back to Salvationcafe.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Good food bad service”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Went for Mother's Day lunch.the waitress very rude so as the supervisor , half way thru she asked if we could move to another table!!!!
This was my first experience at any restaurant asked a client to move to another table while busy.
No doubt the food is good so we keep going back but owner must do something about service.

Johannesburg
“Great spot for lunch!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

A real hidden gem we discovered at 44 Stanley...perfect spot for a lazy lunch in the sun. Trendy artisan's market with a few interesting eateries - we'll definitely be back to explore the others...

The 5-Spice Calamari was easily the best I've ever tasted - succulent, soft inner and crispy outer, with an amazing Dipping Sauce and Asian Green Salad - definitely not to be missed! The Gourmet Burger was literally finger-licking good - lean beef, caramelized onion, jong belegen cheese, guacomole & bacon, topped with a sweet tomato relish and resting on fresh lettuce & tomato...a work of art.

The Carrot Pineapple Cake with cream cheese frosting and New York Cheesecake with berry coulis were both outstanding - moist, flavorful, delicious - so good we took some away for later :)

• Visited May 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Long lazy lunch date ”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Great place to have lunch. The burger appears to be everyone's favorite. Service is good. The owner is around, and happy to accommodate patrons.

Milan, Italy
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

During our stay in Jo'burg, we were taken to 44 Stanley, a recuperated complex from its previous life full of shops and little restaurants around the buildings. At one of these cute corners, you can find a proper hidden gem, the Salvation Cafe, a very nice place, clean and peculiar with a fast working open kitchen working in perfect harmony to speed up all orders. In fact it took no time to get our orders delivered to the table soon after sitting in the Patio overlooking one of the main but small squares turned into gardens full of trees providing shades while sitting at the table enjoying the meal.

We came here for our Sunday brunch/lunch and it was a great surprise: the ingredients were fresh and I loved the great presentations for each single dish they served. Burgers were so juicy and tasty that I barely stopped myself from ordering a second one while still eating the first burger. Chicken wraps and milkshakes were also amazing. I'm only regretting one thing: to have missed a slice of their few cakes sitting on the table by the till in the main hall ...they looked amazing even though I'm not a cake eater myself. I believe I'll have my chance once again the next time I'll be back in Jo'burg.

Service was definitely good and it wasn't that expensive either

While eating here and enjoying the vibe and the ambience, I really felt out of space and for a moment it felt like being somewhere else . places like Chelsea or East Village in NY: very surreal indeed.

I really enjoyed Salvation Café for its food and 44 Stanely for this amazing location !!! ... just the parking is a bit of a mess especially at pick times over the weekends which reminded me a lot us struggling in Italy while going out and spending more time in looking for a place to drop the car than eating at the place.

Ciao