“Rey”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Rey”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Terrible, expensive , horrid rushed service, dirty , dated decor . No ambience , ribs had just about no meat on them , steak cooked wrong . I will never go there again

2 Thank Panamerasitges

• Chinese (Traditional) first
SOUTH AFRICA
“great food”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I visit this place 2x per month.The food is allways good.One time I complained since my 500gram steak seemed smaller than normal.It was replaced without a fuss.I recommend it overall.

• Visited February 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Excellent service, decent food, reasonable but not great value.”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The staff at this restaurant are fabulous - most of them have been there for many years, and they really look after the patrons of the restaurant.

My wife had ribs and I had fillet steak (yes, it's a carnivore's den) - both were good, but not outstanding. The mushroom sauce with my steak was very poor, seemed like tinned mushrooms warmed in the microwave. Veggies with the ribs were nice enough, my side portion of chips was in fact mostly fried onion rings, which was also a bit disappointing.

Price-wise you're looking at around R150 for a lot of the mains. Certainly cheaper than many other higher-end steakhouses, but I am not convinced that the food was high-end restaurant stuff.

Overall a very mixed review - the staff are great, but the price and food quality seem a little bit mis-matched.

• Visited January 2014
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
“The Smoking Gun”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived just after 19:00 and the place was already packed, We were assured we wouldn't have to wait longer than 20 minutes for a table, our name was taken and we were ushered to the bar. To wait ...

The bar was packed as it is obviously the local drinking hole. Fortunately some men along side the bar were leaving and gave up their barstools for us. So getting a drink should be easy, but that's another story in itself ...

Whilst waiting it became obvious that The Thunder Gun turns a blind eye to the No-Smoking legislation. The bar was packed with smokers lighting up in complete disregard for any of the other patrons. There are ashtrays everywhere and no separate smoking amenities - the bar is the smoking area !!

After eventually getting drinks in the bar and a 40 minute wait, we were taken through to a table. Our steak and ribs were good, but really not worth the ordeal in the bar.

I got the impression the management couldn't care less, because if we complained there were another twenty people waiting to take your table, The owner's expensive sports car parked right outside explained everything,

So be warned.

“Best of the best!”
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Best Ribs in the country hands down. There is a Great atmosphere and the staff are very friendly. The owner is always there checking that his guests get only the best service. 5 stars