“Contemporary Italian - highly recommended”

Cafe del Sol Classico
Ranked #4 of 1,323 Restaurants in Johannesburg
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Contemporary Italian restaurant with a great menu. We had to book two weeks in advance to get a table for two on a Saturday night. In terms of the food we went traditional and had the home-made ravioli of the day and penne with Nonna's ragu both of which we're delicious! The restaurant was BUSY but despite this our food was served in good time and not too rushed either. Service was friendly- especially from Alessandro the front of house manager.

1  Thank Juggernaughty

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Went to Cafe Del Sol last night with friends. I did have very high expectations from Trip Advisor but have to say it didn't live up to them! I have yet to find a good italian restaurant in South Africa and unfortunately I will still be looking for one. There are aspects of the restaurant that are lovely, friendly staff yes, ambience is ok but very noisy and difficult to hear each other across the table. My starter was the calamari tubes in Limoncello Sauce it was good. I was probably unlucky in my choices but my pasta dish tagliatelle with creamy prawn sauce was horrible. I am sure that the freshly made tagliatelle were divine if I could have tasted it but they had been drowned in all the cream way too much cream so you couldn't really taste any prawn flavour just cream. Also the prawns were badly overcooked! In true Italian style the cream is added last minute and just a touch I have never had a dish like that in Italy. The pasta should be the hero not the sauce. They are however genorous with the Parmesan and it is freshly grated which is unusual in Johannesburg. For me it didn't feel like an Italian restaurant but maybe I was unlucky with my choice. I would give it another go but it is not local for us and a bit of a trek so doubtful. Clearly they are doing something right but on that night not for me! It was reasonable value for money unlike some italian restaurants in Johannesburg. My husbands pasta dish tagliatelle ragu was nice and our friends seemed to enjoy there spaghetti with tequila prawn and naplolitana sauce. All in all an enjoyable night out but I wasn't blown away!

2  Thank Angeweener
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This small restaurant in olivedale makes the best Italian food I have tasted outside Italy, the service is brilliant (happy staff make a happy experience) and all the quotes on the walls etc is a very nice touch. A limited number of dishes are made everyday but there is quite a variety of selection to choose from. The wine list is impressive and the desserts are an absolute "must". This is simply one my favourite restaurants in Johnannesburg and is no surprise why it keeps winning the "Best Italian restaurant" awards!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is honestly one of the best restaurants I have been to in Johannesburg. From the moment you step in through the doors, you feel at home. The restaurant looks beautiful, and the staff were SO friendly and welcoming. The décor is incredible with different inspirational and foodie quotes lining the walls and the floor, and the furniture and decorations add to how modern and trendy the restaurant looks. They have a big menu with a fantastic variety of authentic Italian food- most of which they have added their own unique "twist" to. While the menu is quite pricey, it's definitely worth it if you're looking for a chilled day out at a place that serves exquisite Italian food in a beautiful context. I don't mind paying extra for a meal if I thoroughly enjoyed the food and the quality of service - and that's exactly what I got at Café Del Sol. If you decide to pitch up for lunch or dinner at the restaurant without a booking, you might be turned away because they fill up with bookings FAST, and won't have an available table for you. I'd recommend making a booking (sometimes even a few days in advance) to guarantee yourself a table. Overall, an amazing dining experience.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was the most unexpected and unforgettable experience! We were invited with friends to Cafe Del Sol and have not even heard of it before. Yet, from the word go it proved to be one of the most outstanding eating experiences ever! I have done many reviews on the quality and atmosphere of restaurants before but this is one that I wish I could have given a seven star rating, I just cannot forget the unbelievable food!!!!!
The menu is exceptionally good, the service excellent, the atmosphere amazing, the quotes on the wall inspiring! I have just found my most favorite restaurant in Johannesburg, no wonder they have a string of awards displayed for all to see!
I cannot wait to go back and introduce my friends to this gem in Johannesburg!
Keep it up guys!